Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Water pump is toast... wondering about HG's

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water pump is toast... wondering about HG's

Well my trusty 4Runner left me on the side of the road today, I think the water pump went out. While driving to work, not far from my house I heard this “whhooosshhh” sound, at first I wasn’t sure it was even my car, there was no change in the gauges, the engine ran smoothly and normally, so I drove on cautiously.

After almost 3 miles I heard a “chirp chirp chirp chirp” sound directly related to engine speed, so I pulled into a church parking lot and popped the hood. I could smell coolant, saw smoke coming from under the timing cover, and it was dumping coolant on the ground. I whipped it into a parking place out of the way and shut her down. The temp gauge was rising, it got to about halfway between normal and the red zone but was never pegged – whew!! It dumped a huge puddle of coolant on the ground, so it was nowhere near dry. I had her towed home on my lunch break (thanks AAA).

I am hopeful the uglier damage from overheating or running dry has been avoided. It started right up that evening with no hesitation, and purred like a kitten for the 15 or 20 seconds that I let it run. I could hear what sounded like a chirping and rattling that sounded like a cooked water pump bearing, but I will begin to dig into it and see what I find this weekend.

I have been due for a timing belt, so I have already purchased a Toyota belt, an Aisin water pump, new Gates idler pulleys and a hydraulic TB tensioner. They have been sitting in the back of the 4Runner for a few weeks. Fall is typically pleasant and dry in east TN, so it looks like I have a great project lined up. I will take notes and photos and post back what I get into. The good folks here at Yotatech have taught me much already, thanks in advance for the assistance I will likely need.

- WJ

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 08-25-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
no advice for ya...

sounds like you didn't abuse it after the trouble, so my humble opinion is that you are OK..run a compression test to see if any indication of a head gasket problem is what i would do. i know the 3vze has it's history of head gasket woes, but i wouldn't think that this episode would do it.

we have started (and since halted)pulling the 3vze out of my son's 88 4runner to do a rebuild so i am searching and saving each and every thread i can find that may help me in any way. sounds like you are digging in to this 3vzequite a bit, not sure how many steps past doing the timing belt it would be to do the head gaskets, but with the pain in the butt that this motor is, it may just be worth the time and money to do them while you are so deep into it.

will be staying tuned for your progress. take lots of pics for me.

good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you did not peg the temp on it and got her shut down right away, you should be fine. Doing a compression and leak down test would be a good idea just to be sure that it holds pressure.

I guess this is her way of telling you to get that timing belt done...
Old 08-25-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the pulleys and timing belt last year in my 90 4runner. Put in a new water pump because I was there. Had a tough time getting that belt on! An old timer told me a trick of clamping the belt on to the cam pulleys with vice grips to keep it all lined up. You may want to give that a try.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the fun begin. After a blazing hot August and a busy September, I am finally getting around to tearing down the trusty 3vze.

I pulled the radiator, hoses, fan, accessory belts and brackets off over the past week. I am taking pictures along the way to help me remember how to reassemble everything.

Timing belt cover and upper radiator hose pipe.

PS and AC belt routing.

Alternator belt routing.

Timing cover and accesory belts removed, also wanted a pic of that pesky PS bracket.

Timing belt tensioner.

Made Bugs1961 tool and the crank bolt broke free easily. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-tool-186081/)

Timing belt is off. The water pump is definately TOAST! I mean crunchy with lots of side to side play in what is left of the bearing.

Water pump is out. I have been putting bolts back where they came from to help me remember when it is time for reassembly. Also, I will replace the front crankshaft seal while I'm down here.

Now it's decision time... If I only want to replace the water pump, timing belt, idlers and front seal, I can begin reassembly this weekend, I already have those parts as mentioned above. However, I am seriously considering new head gaskets at 174,000 miles, a valve job, and ditching the crossover pipe for headers. That will likely be a separate thread.

Last edited by Wrenchinjoe; 10-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.