YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 137
Water pump question

My water pump is leaking just a bit of coolant from the weep hole. The motor (22re) has 238K miles on it and it is a Toyota water pump so my guess is that it's original. Is leaking out the weep hole indicative of anything? Does it mean any inner seals are worn and the pump is heading south?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
 
4Crawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 10,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHNTR View Post
My water pump is leaking just a bit of coolant from the weep hole. The motor (22re) has 238K miles on it and it is a Toyota water pump so my guess is that it's original. Is leaking out the weep hole indicative of anything? Does it mean any inner seals are worn and the pump is heading south?
Yep, that is it. Seal leaks, then that coolant gets into the bushings, causing them to wear out and then the pump seizes up and fails. That is why the weep hole is there, to warn you of the impending problem.
__________________
1985 Toyota 4Runner SR-5, 22REC engine, dual t-cases, 4.88 gears, dual ARBs, 33x10.50 BFGs or 35x12.50 MTRs
r.c.brown@ieee.org
TruckEditor@tlca.org
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Threadstarter [OP]
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 137
Oh great! Not fun.

I'm going on vacation in a week and really don't have the time to tackle this. Any rough idea what a shop might charge?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 11-26-2010 at 09:47 AM.
SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
snobdds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 2,252
Honestly by the time you take it into a shop and leave it there for a day and then pick it up...you could have it changed out. It only takes maybe 2 hours. It just involves taking off the intake tube, shroud, fan and belt and your there.

One suggestion would be to get a new one from the dealer, they are better than any thing you can get at the part store. Also, put some new belts on there...from the dealer too.
__________________
1988 4x4 Pickup 22 RE. Stock-ish, But oh the places it's seen.

She doesn't look like much...but she puts out!
snobdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (6)
 
mightymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,712
x2 easy job just do it yourself. If you do take it to a shop it should only cost under 200 or so. I think last time i had a shop do a water pump on a 22re it cost 167 and some change with oe parts.
__________________
RIP 1990 4wd stdrd cab.
1991 2wd stdrd cab; new project! daily driver bone stock for now. "Travis"
1984 sr5 4x4. "Eleanor" Some stuff done to it. more stuff getting done.
1999 sr5 4runner "Kitty" wife's dd. leaving it stock.
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
sb5walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,085
Just FYI the silicates in Prestone Green are slightly abrasive and will wear pump seals faster than Toyota Red. That's one reason why Japanese auto makers don't recommend silicate coolants. But given enough miles, the seals will fail even with Toyota Red. snobdds' recommendation to get a dealer pump is good; the OEM is Aisin and they will outlast any other pump. autohausaz.com sells Aisin parts for cheap and give free ground ship on orders over $50 (no affiliation - but have had good luck with them).

Good luck with it.
__________________
1989 V6 4x4 X-Cab 5spd 288k miles, Borla cat-back, K&N Filtercharger, 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs
sb5walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
 
Buck87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 678
Be careful removing the bolts sometimes they get stuck and break, which makes an easy job into a PITA. Do not force them use penetrating oil/heat/tap with a hammer instead of brute force. Check out this thread first if you are planning on doing it your self. http://www.yotatech.com/f116/long-wa...broken-138709/
__________________
Matt
87 4runner SR5, 5speed, 22r-e

My Build Thread http://www.yotatech.com/f199/buck87-build-up-255012/
Buck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Registered User
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
 
muddpigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5walker View Post
Just FYI the silicates in Prestone Green are slightly abrasive and will wear pump seals faster than Toyota Red. That's one reason why Japanese auto makers don't recommend silicate coolants. But given enough miles, the seals will fail even with Toyota Red. snobdds' recommendation to get a dealer pump is good; the OEM is Aisin and they will outlast any other pump. autohausaz.com sells Aisin parts for cheap and give free ground ship on orders over $50 (no affiliation - but have had good luck with them).

Good luck with it.
Thanks for the part supplier info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck87 View Post
Be careful removing the bolts sometimes they get stuck and break, which makes an easy job into a PITA. Do not force them use penetrating oil/heat/tap with a hammer instead of brute force. Check out this thread first if you are planning on doing it your self. http://www.yotatech.com/f116/long-wa...broken-138709/
What he said and use antisieze when reinstalling.
__________________
San Antonio, TX

Never thought I'd swap out M/T for A/T but it happens.
muddpigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
22re, 4runner, aisin, area, bay, carries, cheap, coolant, hole, leaking, parts, pump, seep, toyota, water, weep

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:08 PM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.