Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leak behind glove box!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Water leak behind glove box!

So it was raining really hard and I noticed some water dripping from the bottom of the glove box. Opened the door and none of paper work was wet.. Still raining pretty hard! I hate fixing water leaks! Anybody had this problem before? Maybe the cowl or bottom of windshield.. but that would leave water on my dash-mat. Hmm I'll keep thinking..
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
windshield frame is rusted out under the trim.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Leak

Yea, I have the 1989 truck and have the same leak. I've put windshield goo on the outside and all kinds of other sealants inside the cab and I can't beat it.

I was blowing AC/blower relays like popcorn when it rained. I finally got smart and re-routed that wiring/fuse/relay assembly and tied it higher on the dash mount so it wouldn't get wet. Fixed that problem but I can't fix the leak.

I'd check out your relays/fuses by the glovebox to make sure they're not getting wet.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Can I replace the windshield chrome pieces and rubber all the way around?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

An 86 does not use a rubber seal. The windshield is glued to the pinch welds around the opening in the cab. I just had the windshield replaced in my 86 because of a leak. I had the window removed and there was rust so before I had teh glass replaced, I removed all the rust I could, cleaned and treated the rust then repainted the area. The glass person did not want the actual pinch weld area painted. He applied some "special" primer, then installed a new glass. He was cool with making 2 trips, one to remove and second to install the new glass after I did all the cleanup and paint.

The chrome or black trim does not have anything to do with sealing out the water, as far as I could tell. Looks to be cosmetic only.

Last edited by ycmike; 06-14-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

What a pain in the ass. What did you use to "treat" the rust?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM

If only my truck was on Extreme 4x4 then they would just make a new piece with all the metal tools. Would be nice to have at my place!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Realized I said "does" rather than "does not" :| Window DOES NOT use a rubber seal. Uses window sealer. Stuff that comes out of a caulking tube.

Originally Posted by 86bedlesstoy
What a pain in the ass. What did you use to "treat" the rust?
It can be a hassle with this type of window. I learned that the rust was likely caused by some previous winshield install. Generally, the pinch weld area will get scratched from the window removal or from scraping the old sealer off. They should apply a special primer/sealer to the area for protection. If they do not or they fail to make a good seal, then water is going to find the scratches/bare metal. We all know what happens next.

For mine, once the window was removed, I stripped the paint down to bare metal and rust. Used a wire wheel on a small 90 degree die grinder. Also used sand paper and hand sanded. Once I had most all the rust removed (a few places were very pitted, so could not remove all rust from the pits) I treated with Rust Mort. Then used an etch primer, then featherfill, block sand, then paint. I just bought same color code as the body tag. Did not try to match the fade of the paint.

Once all this was done and sat for a week in order to allow time to cure. I called to have the new glass reinstalled.

A while ago, I purchased a used set of the windshield trim for $75. My old trim was real bad. This used stuff was not perfect but it was much better than what I had there before.

The glass person supplied a new "clip kit" which holds the trim in place.

Total cost for glass replacement was $185. Glass, clip kit, & Labor

Etch primer, sealer/surfacer, paint. $125. I painted the roof, "A" and "B" pillars, and around back of cab to window and side seams.

I have enough paint/materials left over to also repaint the hood which is in desperate need of some care.

I used an acrylic enamal single stage PPG brand called Shop Line.

Last edited by ycmike; 06-14-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM

i got a 90 pickup, and the bastard is leaking at the windshield on the right conner...

looks like other ppl have this same problem..

were is my toyota recall....
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are sure that the water is getting on to the glove box, then your leak is probably the windshield, but Toyotas are famous for leaks under the cowl. I've got an 86 4Runner project that came from California, to Florida to New Hampshire and finally to Canada. The frame is like the day it came off of the assembly line and it's never seen winter roads or road salt, yet it's leaking water down on to the floor.
I suspect that it's rusted under the cowl, for as much as I believe that Toyota Engineers are great at their jobs, sometimes they overlook things!
The shape of the upper inner fender support under the cowl does not allow all of the water to drain out and it lays there slowly rusting through.
You can't even see the damage until you remove the fender, once you do you will probably see something like these pictures. They show the repair that I did on my 86 pickup several years ago.
[IMG][/IMG]
If you look through the drain holes you will see that it is rusted through. The next picture is the outside support piece removed by drilling out the spot welds.
[IMG][/IMG]
It's hard to see in this picture, but where it is rusted through is lower than the outside edge, the water cannot drain, it just lays there. The next picture shows the rusted area cut out.
[IMG][/IMG]
I then shaped a hollow in the outside edge and formed the metal to fit and welded it back in.
[IMG][/IMG]
I'm not a great welder, but I was able to get the job done. My son is a much better welder, I let him do the complicated stuff!
Seam Sealed and Undercoated!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

All that was left was to reinstall the outside support with plug welds. I had to repair both sides and truck has never leaked since. The rest of the pictures are in my album 86 Pickup Project.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 06-15-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Like Hadmatt54 says In those 2 spots ( one each side) you can find a lot of mud and old leaves, If you get closed you can even smell it...
I'd clean mines like 2 years ago...
I also have a leaking problem when rains hard, but my leak is coming from behind the rearview mirror. I'd just ask at the stealership and they sale the rubber band that goes behind the windshield and the kit of clips that retain the crome frame around the windshield.
I believe this will be the only way that our windshields will be sealed again.
Good luck...!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My 87 leaks at the drivers side corner.
PO did a shoddy window install and the sealant leaks :/ Only does it when snow piles up on the roof. So i have to get rid of my snow-hat :/
Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks Hadmatt
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by morena67
I'd just ask at the stealership and they sale the rubber band that goes behind the windshield ...
Morena,
Do you happen to have a picture of this part?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Regarding windshield install. I just ran across this thread. I would have had this done if I would have seen this 2 weeks ago rather than putting back that chrome trim.

See post #8 for picture:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...58/index4.html

Last edited by ycmike; 06-15-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ycmike
Morena,
Do you happen to have a picture of this part?
Sorry I only have the part numbers and the parts names, but in spanish... I've just send a mail to the salesman at the stealership, asking him for a graphic of this spare parts, but since It's 7:53 pm I guess I'll get the answer till tomorrow...

Here's the list of the parts numbers:
04562-89101
75548-89101
93510-A4012
75546-89102
75546-89101
75547-89101
75545-89101
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 AM

Images

ycmike here's the graphics:
Attached Thumbnails Water leak behind glove box!-windshield.png   Water leak behind glove box!-windshiel-2.png  
Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Think I will be removing my windshield and fixing this problem with the Hadmatt style
Old 06-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by morena67
ycmike here's the graphics:

Thanks but everything I see in the pictures looks like the chrome trim, or plastic clips to hold the trim in place.

I was wondering what the "rubber band around the windshield" or "windshield dam" part might look like.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 AM

I too. Nice FJ ycmike! Has not rained in over a week now.. But out it will keep coming at some point. Grrr

Quick Reply: Water leak behind glove box!