86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warm start causes bad idle/runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm start causes bad idle/runs rough

I've searched and searched and have found some info on this topic but have never found a solution in any thread I find!

Basically starting my 22re cold it runs great, great idle, feels good and strong. Now say I park at the store, run in and grab something and get back in my truck, say after 5 minutes, and I start her back up while she's still warm, the idle is all over the place and I have to give it more gas to get going because I can hear it wanting to stall. Also driving in first and second gear (I want to say around 2000ish rpms, don't have a tach) the engine starts to cut out and miss alot until i shift into 3rd/4th/5th where it runs fine.

I've checked for vacuum leaks with a propane torch and found nothing. I did notice if i move my pcv valve around my idle does drop so there may be a leak there? Just upgraded my exhaust so new O2 sensor, cat, muffler and header. Checked for codes and found nothing. It's really starting to get on my nerves, anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Adjust the valves!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree with the valves, is there alot of carbon build up in your Plenum? Check your IACV,burp your cooling system.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 AM

It can be your "Engine Coolant Temp Sensor" for the computer, that might explain it changing with temp since that sensor leans or riches mix based on that. A vacuum leak would cause a lean condition that may be less noticeable in open loop because of the extra fuel. A freind of mine's 88 22re ran like crap for a long time then i found a vac leak where the EGR connects with the top rear of the intake manifold and now it runs smooth. Also u can hook a vac guage to ur intake and see if it bounces around because of valves not closing all the way. Diagnosis seems harder than the repair sometimes dont it? hope that helps
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by goodyota
It can be your "Engine Coolant Temp Sensor" for the computer, that might explain it changing with temp since that sensor leans or riches mix based on that. A vacuum leak would cause a lean condition that may be less noticeable in open loop because of the extra fuel. A freind of mine's 88 22re ran like crap for a long time then i found a vac leak where the EGR connects with the top rear of the intake manifold and now it runs smooth. Also u can hook a vac guage to ur intake and see if it bounces around because of valves not closing all the way. Diagnosis seems harder than the repair sometimes dont it? hope that helps
Yeah I think I'm leaning more towards some sensor.. As long as I start her cold, it'll run great for hours even while warm which makes me think it's not the valves because it should run bad while warmed up? It's just starting it warm/open loop it runs like garbage.. I'll check into/replace my vacuum lines just to make sure and look more into the temp coolant sensor. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On your sensors, they get alot of green build up on them. You got the one to your temp guiage and the 2 on the front of the engine. A temp sensor which I think goes to the ECU and your Cold Start Injector time switch. It is good maintenace just to clean them all at once.

I personally have not had the temp switches to go bad. Just when I had problems with them they just needed a good scrubbing.