Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

wanting glass to break up in glasspack...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
guys guys guys...come on..calm down...Machabees...if you want the popping sound..and a VERY low tone at idle...just get a header..(i have flowtech..its like..old as hell..but is holdnig up well) and just run a header...no pip of any kind..just a header..it dumps riht under the driver seat of my '80...its the loudest truck in town hands down...EVERYBODY knows its me when i role up to a party...or roll up to the mud run...my friends tell everybody to stand back when i pull up..my yota is small..not lifted (only on 31" SS TSL's) but it is the best truck in mud..until it gets into ruts from the guys with 49" IROK's...(i envy them)..yea..just run straightpipes...a SHORT straightpipe if you dont have a header...if you have a header..just run that and nothing else..LOUD AS HELL!!!!!!!!!
What ME?????
I DON'T want the popping sound.
I DIDN'T start this thread.
I run a stock exhaust on my truck and it's quiet.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine pops on deceleration (scares old people, pets and small children too)!

I have a Downey header straight back to a flowmaster hushpower.....sounds sweet
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
ya glass packs are for old junker fords......
Hey hey! I have one of those "old junker fords" so don't talk crap. My friend also has one, albeit a '71 with a 390, and he just installed cherry bombs (real ones not the cheapos) and it sounds sick. So
Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
A glasspack will give you TONS more flow then a flowmaster...
I second this. And just to ask you Jay351, what kind of glasspack do you have that all the glass has blown out and it's starting to rust?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Red face

Hey all,

When we run our trails we pick up trash. Because we don't pollute right and we offer good trail stewardship. In Colorado at least having a loud as hell truck is seriously frownd upon. Why? Noise pollution. No one wants to hear your obnoxious rig from a mile away. Especially in nature....

Maybe where some of you others come from it is seen as being cool, but to me, when something that loud drives through my neighborhood late at night and rattles my windows, or I see it on the trail I'm not to pleased.

But to each their own. I know this thread was about how to remove the glass pack - but I wanted to just bring attention to what making your rig louder can do to our sport... it doesn't necessarily put us in a good light in any way.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman90
Hey hey! I have one of those "old junker fords" so don't talk crap. My friend also has one, albeit a '71 with a 390, and he just installed cherry bombs (real ones not the cheapos) and it sounds sick. So
haha i told you guys. they made for old junker fords or farm equipment lol.
well i have a 77 ford sitting in my drive way with a built 390, headers and dual 3" flowmasters. sounds so premo. glass packs are junk. but then so are fords hehe. flowmasters and toyotas rule.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Hey all,

When we run our trails we pick up trash. Because we don't pollute right and we offer good trail stewardship. In Colorado at least having a loud as hell truck is seriously frownd upon. Why? Noise pollution. No one wants to hear your obnoxious rig from a mile away. Especially in nature....

Maybe where some of you others come from it is seen as being cool, but to me, when something that loud drives through my neighborhood late at night and rattles my windows, or I see it on the trail I'm not to pleased.

But to each their own. I know this thread was about how to remove the glass pack - but I wanted to just bring attention to what making your rig louder can do to our sport... it doesn't necessarily put us in a good light in any way.

where im from your offroad truck its supposed to be loud. i go wheeling in the woods so i can be loud. and 4x4ing is loud. i guess im just a
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is getting way off topic but imo a rockcrawler should be quiet and a mud truck should be loud and not toyota loud im talking bbc loud. im not shure what a 3.0 sounds like with a glasspack but my old chevy with a 350 sounded reall good with dual glasspacks(not the cheapos). for a little toyota engine i would just go with a cheap glasspack why pay the big bucks on a muffler when you could spend that money on something to make your truck more capable.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM

What he's probably looking for is reassurance to do what rednecks in my neck of the woods have been doing for years....get it hot from an extended drive & put a water hose into it. It'll destroy all the baffle material & it will get loud & poppy a lot faster. Just don't say I told you it was ok or smart to do.

I had a buddy that ran a water hose into his & got a phone call after he turned on the water; I'm not sure but I believed it bent his valves at the time. Of course I was just a kid myself & laughed at his seemingly ruined 305. We never tore it apart to check & he never kept any vehicle long (big surprise there huh?)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM

On my 22R I had a Downey header, 2 1/4 all the way back to a 3 chamber Flowmaster and a tailpipe and it sounded great. A little on the loud side but the mud terrains were actually louder than anything. Oh and I also had the Crane cam. If you want some deep tone put a super turbo muffler on it and knock off the tailpipe. It is deep but not loud enough for the police to complain and also it is very cheap. My loud days are over. I have 2 chamber Flowmasters in my Mustang and it is getting too loud for me. After awhile you will get annoyed by the sound.

James
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Hey all,

I'm with you, Molly.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM

I ride offroad bikes and the saying goes "less sound more ground" We are loosing places to ride because of loud bikes. Same holds true for all motorized fun machines.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Old 04-20-2008, 01:57 PM

so i was thinking of the downey exhaust for my 94 3.slow, but wanted to have the flowmaster. TOYOTA1, what style of flowmaster are you running?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 PM

wow i didn't think there where any cooter toyota owners... it looks like i have been corrected. YOUR DRIVING A TOYOTA!!! they do not have power and they are not big nasty looking vehicles! a toyota is a sleak very good looking truck that doesn't have power so why the hell do you want it to be loud? o and another thing. no exhaust makes your toyota EVEN SLOWER! with the low compression engine that it already is, it needs a good bit of back pressure to help its self out! i drive a 1990 extended cab pickup with 7 inches and 37 inch IROKS with 529 gears front and rear and a limited slip in the rear also. i had to put an exhaust on it because the old one rusted out but i didn't do what alot of you dumb people did and put a loud exhaust on an engine with NO POWER! it sounds stock maybe a very small amount louder which is still nothing. i would rather hear the hum of my 37's than the rediulously pointless and stupid wine and crack of my under powered engine!
Old 04-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Reading several pages of this thread was probably the biggest waste of time ive experienced all week

Its a friggin 3VZE, one of the WORST most GUTLESS motors EVER. Why would you possibly want to draw more attention to how much your motor sucks by making it pointlessly loud? FYI that popping sound is probably one of the lamest noises out there, all it does is signify that your exhaust lacks the proper amount of backpressure and your motor is just leaning way out when you suddenly cut the throttle off because some of your fuel is just being drawn out the exhaust.

If you want a loud sounding vehicle grow a pair and swap in a SBC that will at least sound aggressive when your rattling peoples windows out in the middle of the night.

Ive got a friend with an early K5 blazer with a genuine 4 bolt main 350 bored and stroked to 383 with a high lift cam roller rockers and headers back to dual cherry bombs. you can hear it from a mile away but at least it sounds cool and has the bite to go with the bark.

sorry for the rant
Old 04-20-2008, 06:57 PM

i just wanna say thank you apalmer! im glad there are some people that have come to our realization.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, running glasspacks without a spark arrestor or muffler is illegal in MANY parks for fire hazard....just something else to think about
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 AM

I'll chime in here - I've got a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger on 36" TSLs, got a built 360 V8 under the hood, putting down at least 350hp. When I first bought it, it was running straight pipes, and you could barely hear anything. I slapped a clean exhaust on that thing to get it as quiet as possible without limiting power. Here's why:

1) Loud exhausts attract cops and idiots. I don't care for either one.

2) When I'm crawling, I want to hear my truck. I want to hear the tire creak when it hits the rock in front of me, I want to hear the suspension groan as it start to shift load, and I want to hear my tires lose traction before I start rooster-tailing gravel and mud.

3) I can't hear my spotter if all I hear is "Blab-blab-blab-blab-WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-blab-blab-blab" from my truck and other trucks. If I can't hear my spotter, I lose my insight into what is happening outside the truck. If I lose my insight of what's happening outside the truck, I don't make it up the rocks. Or I flip. Or a winch line snaps and beheads my friend.

4) I don't want to go deaf.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by apalmer1

Reading several pages of this thread was probably the biggest waste of time ive experienced all week

Its a friggin 3VZE, one of the WORST most GUTLESS motors EVER. Why would you possibly want to draw more attention to how much your motor sucks by making it pointlessly loud? FYI that popping sound is probably one of the lamest noises out there, all it does is signify that your exhaust lacks the proper amount of backpressure and your motor is just leaning way out when you suddenly cut the throttle off because some of your fuel is just being drawn out the exhaust.

If you want a loud sounding vehicle grow a pair and swap in a SBC that will at least sound aggressive when your rattling peoples windows out in the middle of the night.

Ive got a friend with an early K5 blazer with a genuine 4 bolt main 350 bored and stroked to 383 with a high lift cam roller rockers and headers back to dual cherry bombs. you can hear it from a mile away but at least it sounds cool and has the bite to go with the bark.

sorry for the rant
i respect your rant, but as a high school kid, i don't have the time nor the money to spend on a full blown 3.4 or a 350 swap. so instead i will try and make what i have as good as it can get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wanting glass to break up in glasspack...