Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Want to add A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to add A/C

I have a 92 pickup with a new 22re in her and wanted to know about adding a/c? Can it be done? I can't really find any a/c diagrams anywhere.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Yes you can install A/C using parts from a same generation truck/runner. The wiring for the system is generally there as it was a dealer install option. Be careful where you get the parts from A/C systems can be finicky and leaky. Mine was installed this way and leaked first fall/winter I had it... now I have to get it pressure/leak tested and recharged again. This is one thing I'd have a pro do for you the refrigerant is not environmentally friendly and being under high pressure can hurt you if it blows up.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

So are you saying not to go to a junk yard? I was gonna convert it to 134a.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:10 PM

I want to do the same thing. Talked to my buddy who bought a 6 cyl runner and moved the ac components over to his 6 cyl pickup (91). He said it was a buttload of work because the evaporator and ducting that went with was huge. He had to do some mods to get it to fit properly. My truck is a 22re and I have found a 22re runner. I am hoping I won't have the same problems. Is the evaporator from a runner larger than a pickup?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might also try http://www.ackits.com/, might be easier to install that removing + installing a factory setup.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM

ACkits is expensive tho, several hundred more than I would be willing to pay. Was talking to a guy tongiht who has a Runner 22re with AC. He said he will sell me the AC components for $150 (CAD) if I take it out myself. I just dont want to go to the work just to find out it wo't bolt right in.

I suspect that the 4Runner AC is larger (to put out more btu's for a larger passenger cabin) than the factory pickup of the same year. I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong but like i say my buddy did this exact thing except with a 6 cyl and it was a LOT of work. Can anyone verify that the AC is the same in a 22re Runner and a 22re Pickup? Especially the evaporator portion (behind glovebox).
Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All of the a/c parts from a 4Runner are the same as whats in a truck, but they have to be of the same years.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Yes but as my friend explained he had to do some major mods to fit the evaporator and housing in his pickup because it was huge. Everything else, like the engine compartment stuff, bolted right up. If someone could look at both vehicles and see if there are any differences in the under dash stuff that would be useful.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
the 4runner and truck a/c parts are NOT the same. 4Runners use different boxes, lines, evaps, condensors, and wiring. About the only thing that is the same is the compressor. You can make a 4Runner AC system fit, but you have to modify it. Just find someone with a truck and go to town.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*subscribed* im interested in this too
Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
the 4runner and truck a/c parts are NOT the same. 4Runners use different boxes, lines, evaps, condensors, and wiring. About the only thing that is the same is the compressor. You can make a 4Runner AC system fit, but you have to modify it. Just find someone with a truck and go to town.
That's what I was wondering, thanks DeathCougar. U sure that only the compressor is compatible? My friend mentioned that to mount the condensor he had to do a little modding as well. On the positive side, his regular cab truck is a freezer in about 5 seconds. Gotta find a truck...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM

subscribed as well, I have the a/c from my parts runner, just need to swap it out. Its getting HOT!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

No you can use junk yard parts for most of it but I'd recommend new hoses at least and if possible leak test the other parts before you install them.
Converting the system to R134a or another substitute is not the issue so much as the charge that may still be present in the system in the yard... some places drain them when they come in others don't, ask the yard staff if they drained the a/c before you start to disassemble it.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have put AC in two vehicles, on the CRX from the ground up and the 4runner I just cleaned out and recharged..

If you are putting in a new to the car kit...
Get new o-rings and oil for all the rings, new evaporator/accumulator.

Clean out all the old parts, get all the old oil out.
Install with new lubbed rings.
Purge the system if you can with nitrogen
fill the system with nitrogen to a high pressure and see if you have an leaks.
fix leaks if you have any
vacuum out the system.
add pag oil
turn on vehicle, turn on AC on high
fill with refrigerant to spec

enjoy

At least that was my process
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks for all of the good info everyone! I just need to find me another parts truck to get all of the goodies.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
might be easier to just get a non-running truck with AC, and put your running motor in it

lol

yeah I would imagine it would be a major PITA... there's quite a few parts and peices that need to come together to make it work...

best of luck though; I'm intested to see how you make out with this!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM

I am actively looking for a wrecked pickup with ac in it or at the very least with the in-cab components. I would think that the under hood stuff should be compatible as long as it is the same engine. Basically what I am saying is evaporator + switches + lines from pickup; condensor + compressor from any 22re....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
with reference to the 4Runner vs truck a/c kits, particularly 22re models...
you'll find that in certain years, the 4Runner has a 'supercool' condenser option.
Also, various year 4Runners have an electric fan on the condenser.
Low and High pressure switches will be different depending on whether CFC12 or HCFC134a as will the dessicant/accumulator/receiver-drier canister.

After a lot of thought, I've came to the conclusion that a kit with brand new components and a warranty for 800 is generally a better investment than sourcing used components which may total half that... and then having to replace those components again becuase they're faulty. That's just my opinion though. If you have your own vacuum pump, recovery tank, dessicant and manifolds then it may be cheaper to use used components. I'm still going to be weary of a compressor that's been setting in a yard for the last 1-48 months, exposed to air and most likely is corroding... and what to do with the expansion valve....
Quick questions: PAG? Dye?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 AM

Well, I was going to buy everything I needed for $150 out of a runner but now since I know it will be a lot of work I am not. I am confident that I can find the parts pretty cheap and even if something isn't in good shape, another should be easy to find. Whats PAG and Dye?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Glad I found this thread before buying a parts truck. I have an opportunity to pick up a complete 89 4runner (22re 5sp) for $200. I now understand that the components inside the cabin are different from 4runner to p/u. If I have the WHOLE vehicle (every component from the "donor" 4Runner), is it a bolt-in to my pick-up? what (if any) has to be modified?

Quick Reply: Want to add A/C