Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wait, I thought I bought a Toyota?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, I thought I bought a Toyota?

My neighbor comes out and tells me today, you know you work on your truck more then anyone i know :/. This is getting frustrating. It's a 1991 Toyota 4ruuner with only 160k miles on it. So far I've changed the rod bearings, adjusted the valves and put in a new gasket, changed the power steering pump, put a new clutch fork boot in, changed out the ball joints, put in new idler arm bushings, and had it aligned. Now i need to fix an exhaust leak (found a missing bolt and fixed it 50%). Get new CV Boots (probably the dorman split boots and just getting unlocking hubs), get a new pinon bearing for the rear, and find this oil leak that has stumped me.

I've only had this for 3 months and I'm so dreaming of the day when I can just enjoy it.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
User Requested Ban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You bought a poorly abused toyota ...

did you replace main bearings too? why did you replace the rod bearings?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep- you've decided to adopt someone elses abused child. Take pride in bringing it back to what it should've always been.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

All that, and it's still worth 3x as much as a comparable Exploder or S-Blazer. You can count on doubling your mileage too. If the PO had kept up on maintenance as well as you are, it would be smooth sailing. Enjoy the Yota.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM
User Requested Ban

I plan on changing my rod bearings in a few weeks. maybe I should give you a call to see how you did it before I jump in there
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
pwd

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Yep- you've decided to adopt someone elses abused child. Take pride in bringing it back to what it should've always been.
Thats what I keep telling myself about my project. I've invested WAY more than I anticipated and was going to just sell the Runner. Now I'm going to keep it and use it during the winter to maybe keep the salt off the pickup. My 4Runner was sitting for nearly three years on a property next to a highway which uses salt in the winter. I've replaced/fixed:

brake lines
brake calipers and rear drums/shoes
fuel tank/lines
shocks (man they were bad LOL)
transmission (had someone else do it)
power steering lines (had someone else do it)
timing belt (had someone else do it)
exhaust from cat back (had someone else do it)
scraped rust off frame
rocker panels and a few holes inside wheel wells
balljoint

and a few other things I'm missing.

99% of people would have scrapped this thing. Once I get it 100% road worthy, Im sure its going to be very reliable. As you did, I had to fix everything that was neglected, not "broken down". The more I drive it, the more I like it.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM

My yota keeps nickel and diming me too, at least the engine and drivetrain are ok (knock on wood). PO didn't take stellar care of it, But it wasn't abused. Aside from the small (and expensive) stuff it's in good shape. Thank god they don't salt the roads up where my farm is, just sand.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 PM

I had to change the rod bearings because it had a knock. The PO had the timing chain guides fail and water was in the oil. He paid $1800 to have it fixed. The shop did such a great job, I mean they even left the old timing chain guides in the bottom of the oil pan for me . This was causing low oil pressure and is why the rod bearings went.

I think the PO just wheeled the crap out of it and had it high centered more then a few times.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM

I too have had to fix someone elses mistakes. The PO thought it was a good idea to run straight water through the engine. No coolant/antifreeze. So the entire cooling system was rusted to heck and had a blown head gasket which lead to chocolate milk. The engine was beyond repair so I just got a new long block for $600. Installed it (took wayyyy tooooo longgggg) and I can finally enjoy it. Trust me man, its worth it.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't buy the split CV boots, i've heard nothing but trouble with those...
Just go buy CV's from a junkyard, ones without split-boots.
And you might be able to get entire hub assy..
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you fix all the mistakes and neglect, you'll have a truck that's fairly reliable. I've spent a tonne of time wrenching on mine, corrective stuff mostly and its never left me stranded.

Replacing CV boots is easy, takes about 3hrs first time IIRC.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As many others have said, largely what I am doing now is fixing the PO's mistakes. The fact is though, with 270k+ miles on my truck, I've only had to spend about $500 and about 10 weekends making everything to my liking, including painting it. I estimate many thousands more miles, and hopefully 400k one day!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM

I think i'm going to cry, my heater core is leaking, and turning my windows green. This is not going to be fun.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theAuthority
You bought a poorly abused toyota ...

did you replace main bearings too? why did you replace the rod bearings?
Agreed. Just because it's a toyota doesn't mean you (or the previous owner) should neglect regular maintenance. If it was maintained and not abused, it should be good for a while.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM

I feel your pain! I adopted someone else's abused child and found out I have no compression in the 3rd cylinder. Truck runs great other than rough idle (no CEL). Can't wait to do that job
Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Don't worry buddy!!! Now the FUN begins!!! Seriously though, I bought a poorly maintained and badly treated 91 4runner. The engine idles rough, and it needs a valve job and some other things. The cost comes out to more than it would be if I just swapped a 3.4 in, which is a great idea anyways, and that's a lot of birds with one stone. Also, SAS it and then you don't have to worry about cv boots anymore, and you're also ready to have a ridiculous amount of fun, holy 4 wheelin batman that could be glorious!!!!!! See just think of it that way and the state of your rescue yota is less painful.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by modlite
I think i'm going to cry, my heater core is leaking, and turning my windows green. This is not going to be fun.
When i got my 86 4Runner it was a major basket case, who ever had it before me beat the hell out of it, so ive spent the last year fixing things and putting it back together. I had to replace just about everything in the interior, then the engine needed some work, timming chain, oil pump, water pump, TPS, 02 sensor. I also have replaced a heater core in another 4Runner, but once everything is finished my 4Runner will be on the road for many more years.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others said, you bought a vehicle with 160k on it. If you wanted a trouble free Toyota you should have bought one with 40k on it! I did the same thing and like others have said, once you take care of her a bit, she'll take care of you!

My front drive line is out right now... :O
Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Think of it this way, were it a 160k S10 4x4 Blazer, you'd call the wrecker to haul if off.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only 160,000 miles. lol

I'd like to see an exploder make it that far in one piece..... or even less than 10 pieces.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wait, I thought I bought a Toyota?