Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

W56b transmission on it's way out

Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W56b transmission on it's way out

Hey everyone,
I have a 1987 XtraCab with 328000km on its first tranny. And that tranny has finally decided to reach the end of its long life. Looking to replace or repair depending.

When I bought the truck in January, 3rd and 5th were distinctively louder than the others. Like a whine with slight rubbing. I thought 5th would be the first to go
But a couple months ago 1st began kicking out before I could get to 5km/h. Only happened once and a while. But it's come to the point where I can't let go of the shifter, or it will kick out, even if I'm simply driving around a parking lot in 1st. It pops out with incredible force too, with a load bang.
Now third has started to quietly slide out while regular driving. Not when I let go of the accelerator or down shifting. Simply a steady speed and it will slip out a random times

I've been looking at new transmissions and rebuild kits on Marlin Crawler, and don't know which to do

So my question is ,in relation to cost and, longevity. Which is the better way to go, rebuild or replace?
Also what are the labour costs to do either

I believe a new transmission is $1049.00 for a regular rebuild from MC and the rebuild kit is $299.00

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you feel confident you can do the rebuild I'd do that just cuz it's fun to take things apart and put them back together. I can't do that so I went with High Gear Transmission (highgeartransmission.com) when I replaced my W56-C last summer. It was an even $1000 including shipping (both ways) and they send all the stuff to return the old unit back to them. They do excellent work and it comes with a pretty good warranty too (I can't remember the details on the warranty off the top of my head, but it was pretty good). They may have to do a little searching to find a W56-B to rebuild before they send it out to you. That's what they had to do for mine, but I still had it in less than a week. Talk to a guy named Cody if you decide to go that route.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM

When you had it replaced what was the labour cost involved? Or did you do it yourself?
This truck is my daily driver and I would be tough to have it off the road for too long or else I would do it myself
I would have it professionally rebuild as well
Old 12-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Labor for trans/ clutch jobs is usually in the $500-$700 range, depending on the shop.
Plan to replace the clutch, flywheel and rear main seal while you're in there. You'd be a fool if you didn't.

The job can be done over 1 day if you have everything ready to go. Having a whole weekend would be more ideal.
I've done 1 clutch job and 1 trans replacement (which included another clutch job) on my truck. They're not that bad.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM

I think the clutch has been done, has a centerforce clutch sticker and I remember him saying something about a clutch job but doesn't hurt to look into it. Maybe a HD clutch for towing
Does doing that extra work add to that cost you listed or is it included?

My dad asked his mechanic and he said it would be 16hours or labour to remove and replace (no rebuilding) at $75/h
I don't know, but that seem like he doesn't know how to do a proper tranny job
Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ManLen
I think the clutch has been done, has a centerforce clutch sticker and I remember him saying something about a clutch job but doesn't hurt to look into it. Maybe a HD clutch for towing
Does doing that extra work add to that cost you listed or is it included?

My dad asked his mechanic and he said it would be 16hours or labour to remove and replace (no rebuilding) at $75/h
I don't know, but that seem like he doesn't know how to do a proper tranny job
I err on the side of caution. If I didn't know the history of the clutch I'd replace it anyway. Replacing the clutch, flywheel, and rear main is only about an extra 30 minutes once the transmission is out of the way. If the clutch disc appears to be in good shape once you can see it, then don't replace it. Your call, really.

16 hours? No way. I know competent guys that can do it in 6-8 hours.
My second time, I did it in 3 nights I think. 2-3 hours each weeknight after work.

Buy me a plane ticket and I'll come do it for Tree Fiddy.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Question is, do I have to buy a new clutch plate before?
If its not much time to do all that it'll be done
Old 12-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ManLen
When you had it replaced what was the labour cost involved? Or did you do it yourself?
This truck is my daily driver and I would be tough to have it off the road for too long or else I would do it myself
I would have it professionally rebuild as well
I did it myself. They sent the gear box and I transferred over the bell housing and transfer case. I also replaced the rear main seal, flexplate and clutch while I had it out of the way. If you do it yourself don't skip out and not replace the pilot bearing. It's pretty easy and you'll really kick yourself if it goes bad a thousand miles later. I did it all in a day. It was a long day, but I was doing it all myself and it was my first time so I was taking extra time to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. If you have a buddy that can help you'll get it done quicker. Like scuba said, if you have everything lined up and ready to go it's not bad. You just have to take your time. Pay attention to torque specs on the flexplate bolts and clutch bolts. It's a good idea to put anti-sieze on the splines of the transmission input shaft too.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM

With no place to do it, and just not the right amount of time I think I'll pay to have outdone right. Neighbour has the nicest truck I've ever seen and he's recommended his shop. Can't go wrong there
Old 12-11-2013, 03:18 AM

My 2 cents: I went with Marlin's rebuilt W56b and had it installed by a local shop. They had my truck for 2 days and it's been flawless since then. 2 years and 50,000 miles later, all is well. I didn't have time to risk on my daily driver either. Total cost was around $1750.00. It's nice to have it done right and warrantied.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Beautiful rig!!

I have farted around replacing my transmission with used transmissions twice now. Next time I will rebuild as you're planning to do. I doubt I would pay $$ for Marlin stuff.

Pulling and replacing the trans is only about a 6 hour job if you're comfortable with the process.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM

I haven't done too much browsing, but I did some research on Marlin and he sure knows what he's doing. I think it would be a trustworthy site to check

what would be some problem I might encounter that would not allow me to rebuild? something that would force me to completely replace. or is that possible in the state its currently in?

I'll have to inquire at a few shops around town and get they're quote on rebuilding and call up Marlin to find out shipping and core charge etc etc