Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

W56-c Trans rebuild

Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W56-c Trans rebuild

So, the Yota has a transmission (W56-c) bearing going out on what seems to be the auxiliary shaft (makes noise in all gears but 4th). I posted about this yesterday. Here's my question: Can I put a bearing kit in it in the garage? I'm sure there is a puller or two that I will need to purchase unless I have one in the drawer that will get the job done. The transmission was gone through by a local shop about 20k miles ago but I can't get the guy to answer the phone or call me back. I don't think his shop is open anymore. Is there a writeup on this (I searched and only found one on the teardown, not the rebuild)? I have the FSM and will follow it closely. Any suggestions before I start?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I just finished rebuilding my R150F at home, it wasn't THAT difficult but.. how far are you really planning on digging into it? Just new bearings? You might be able to get away with just using pullers to get the bearings off the ends of the shafts but if your going any deeper than that you will surely need a larger hydraulic press. Just take your time, go slow and plan for more time than you are expecting. There is a boat load of dial indicating, feeler gauging and measuring they want you to do which I didnt have all the tools for, would have been nice. I haven't gotten to drive mine yet but fingers crossed it shifts better than before!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I was reading the FSM, there's really not as much measuring and all that on the W56 as I thought there would be. I have access to a press so that should be good. I had another one of these built about 12 years ago and some redneck did it in his barn with a torch, a hammer and a piece of steel pipe. Was the best job I've had done yet. I think I'll be able to get it if I take my time like you said.

Search this Thread