Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

W-56 transmission compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W-56 transmission compatibility

Hello members of the Toyota faithful:

Ive got an 86 pickup with transmission problems. Basically, the bearings are gone in it, the main shaft is shot, and the 4th gear shift fork is destroyed...it's got 300,000 miles on it, and is pretty much trashed.

I have a Toyota mechanic friend that has access to a tranny from a 91-93 4x4 truck for $400, rebuilt about 2 years ago. Does anybody know if the later model W-56 transmissions (C,D, or E) will work with the original earlier model transfer case, mated to the w-56 B? Its a top-shift unit...

I had purchased a new tranny / tcase off of craigslist, but the a$$hole sold me a non-compatible G-52 out of a carburated truck with a cracked 5th gear, and didnt find out till after we tore it apart However, the t-case off of that transmission is a forward shift unit, that could technically be used with no problems with the later model W-56's right???

If the later model trannys are not compatible with the top shift t-case and have to use the forward shift unit, will it fit properly in the floorboard of the 86? Its got full interior with the leather center console out of a 4 runner, as well as the leather shifter covers, that id like to not do away with Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can use the later model W56 with the top shift t-case, just make up a block off plate for the t-case shifter hole in the back of the transmission. Or you can use the forward shift case, although I think that will put the shifter locations in different spots so you may need to modify the holes in the floor for that.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
To further clarify, you can use a top shift case in the later trans, but you cannot use a forward case in an earlier trans. There are no provisions for the forward shift case in the 85-88 trans.

I know you were trying to use the 89+ trans with the 85-88 case, but I just wanted to be sure it was clarified. I am pretty sure you can use the 85-88 Top shift case on the 89+ trans, but like Roger said just be sure to make some sort of block off plate.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
To further clarify, you can use a top shift case in the later trans, but you cannot use a forward case in an earlier trans. There are no provisions for the forward shift case in the 85-88 trans.

I know you were trying to use the 89+ trans with the 85-88 case, but I just wanted to be sure it was clarified. I am pretty sure you can use the 85-88 Top shift case on the 89+ trans, but like Roger said just be sure to make some sort of block off plate.

that is some fantastic news guys, thanks for the help ...this is the first time in 10 years that I've had my truck down for more than a weekend, and it's been depressing

Would you just fab the block-off plate from a sheet of 1/8" steel? Also, If you use the 91-93 trans with the earlier top-shift t-case, will the shifters still be in the same locations as on the original 86 trans / top-shift t-case? Again, I'm trying (hoping) to keep the rubber shift boots, leather shifter covers and center console all in the same location.

if anybody else has anything else to add or retort, please post...i could use all the help anyone would like to offer

Last edited by dixiemuddtoy; 09-14-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Should not be too hard to fabricate something, just lay some paper over the opening and trace the outline and bolt hole locations on it and then cut out some steel to fit. Below is a top shift case, one with a block off plate. The top and forward shift openings are unfortunately a different size:

Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Craigslist is a gamble, but as far as buying stuff off craigslist, just make sure u know what your looking for. Find where I.d. Numbers are or know different characteristics (ie bolt patterns). If you don't know what your really looking at, and you buy it, its your fault.

Also when u buy the tranny, put it in each gear and spin the main shaft, that should tell if the gears are jacked or not (at least from my search for a g52 the first 6 months of the year). If it makes noise its crap. Also smell the tranny fluid.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Would you just fab the block-off plate from a sheet of 1/8" steel? Also, If you use the 91-93 trans with the earlier top-shift t-case, will the shifters still be in the same locations as on the original 86 trans / top-shift t-case? Again, I'm trying (hoping) to keep the rubber shift boots, leather shifter covers and center console all in the same location.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Make the plate from whatever material you have that is stiff enough to seal up the opening. Looks like the factory plates are just stamped sheet metal, 1/8" steel would be fine. T-case shifter should be identical in location as the trans should be the same length and the top shift location is only in one place. Only thing I don't know if if the shifter location on an early W56 is the same as on the later model set up for the forward shift t-case. I would assume they are close, but have never seen the two models side by side to verify in person, some photos below:

Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Question

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Make the plate from whatever material you have that is stiff enough to seal up the opening. Looks like the factory plates are just stamped sheet metal, 1/8" steel would be fine. T-case shifter should be identical in location as the trans should be the same length and the top shift location is only in one place. Only thing I don't know if if the shifter location on an early W56 is the same as on the later model set up for the forward shift t-case. I would assume they are close, but have never seen the two models side by side to verify in person, some photos below:

again, thanks for the help guys. if there's anybody thats got pics of later model W-56s w/ either t-case installed in 86-88 trucks, Id be greatly appreciated to see what it looks like finished and during install if possible.

According to 4crawler's comparison pictures I'm thinking that the shifters, if the late model tranny and transfer case are used, should only be pushed up about a few inches father than the original equipment. The rubber shift boots and leather covers should provide for enough lee-way to allow them to stay in the factory location. What do yall think???

Itd be kinda neat to run a 92-93 W-56 in my '86. I think they were made a little bit stronger and may have been a bit quieter??
Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 AM

I got an 85 transmission & T-case that I bought. But it’s not the same as my 88 and i do not want to butcher the interior. Want to trade?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM

pics

here are pics of the tranny
Attached Thumbnails W-56 transmission compatibility-trans-1.jpg   W-56 transmission compatibility-trans-2.jpg   W-56 transmission compatibility-trans-3.jpg  
Old 11-26-2023, 06:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxrunner
here are pics of the tranny
so long shot but what happened to it