86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vibrations when braking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations when braking!

I am having horrible vibrations coming from the rear of the truck when i brake. It does vibrate all the time, say instead of braking i let it cruise down the vibrations dont happen. Even sometimes if i brake lightly it doesnt do it, but then sometimes it does, but if i ever need to stop and use the brake heavily its all over the place. I noticed the other day that the front differential seal was leaking, i just replaced it not even a month ago. I have also heard that it could be the tires or possibly the wheels your running, I just got the tires not even 4 months ago (Firestone Destination AT's 31x10.50) brand new. The wheels are the ones that came on the truck when i bought it, ICW i believe? (15x10 tear drop rims) Help me out here guys!I have done several things to try and figure it out but i cant seem to find the problem but now i am turning to the experts!

What I have done :
New brakes all the way around...2 months ago
Turned the drums...Last week
Replaced Front seal....month ago
Old 01-08-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I blindly went changing the front rotors and pads when I first got my 86. It turned out to be the rear drums- something I've never experienced. The way you can tell if it's still the rear drums is to get up to around 40 miles per hour and CAREFULLY pull the emergency brake until you feel the brakes engage. If the vibration starts, I'm betting it is still your rear drums. I had mine turned and 2 months later the vibration a back, so apparently they didn't take off enough material or I just need to buy new shoes and drums. It is not near as severe, but I can feel it.

Last edited by My99; 01-08-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:36 AM

It is possible too that your tires are out of balance. I would turn your drums because that would seem most likely, at the same time check the inner sides of all your tires to see if they are caked with mud/snow if they are that could be adding to the problem.

get them balanced if you havn't.

A good way to check if your wheels have been balanced properly is to see if the weights are all together (there should not be multiple weights spaced appart on the rim). if there are no weights at all than the person who installed the tires did not get them balanced.

Last edited by iam_turner; 01-08-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM

I work at a garage part time, and when i installed the tires we balanced them...but when i rotated them i noticed that half the weights had been slung off. You cant but weights on the outside of the rim, and my guess why the weights wont stick to the inside is because they have a huge lip. As far as balancing them i guess i need to get some "stick on weights" and try those out...
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM

You will probably find that this will make a difference for the vibrations, however you may still have problems breaking if your drums/rotors are out of round...
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM

well i plan on replacing that rear seal thats leaking tomorrow...and i think i gonna turn the drums and rotors again...just to see what happens...i am tired of gettin beat to death in the cab. its become more and more annoying...just hope it aint nothing in the rearend...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:13 PM

I have the exact same problem with my truck. Doesn't do it all the time, sometimes worse than others. I put on new rotors and rebuilt calipers with new pads, new drums, wheel cylinders and shoes. Flushed and bled the whole system and tightened my lug nuts to spec. Problem seemed to go away for a bit but now is back. I'm almost 100% positive it's not a wheel balance issue because it only happens during braking and if my wheels were out of balance I'd suspect I'd encounter symptoms under other conditions besides braking. I'm just living with the problem for now. I can't think of what else it would be.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 AM

Nobody has mentioned a bent rear axle. I would look here last, but I guess it. Could be possible.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 AM

could be but we replaced two u joint yesterday and a seal...didnt have time to set the u joints right gotta go finish it up today. supposed to replace the front rotors and brakes...hopefully that will clear up some of the vibration. then i gotta get these wheels balanced...hopefully it will be done for.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM

...well i let the experienced mechanic do the u joints...i never done them before didnt wanna start on my truck. but new problem now it doesnt just vibrate when i put on brakes...it vibrates heavily about 40mph with a low hum to it! wtf! i go to fix one problem come out with another....does any one know what this could be now? i asked him were the u joints right because if the driveshaft isnt balanced right i know it will vibrate...but he swears its my tires. i just dont see it being in the tires...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:15 PM

I have an opinion about coincedences and it points to your mechanic if this issue was not present prior to the u-joint fix.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i found on my truck that my brake vibration was the same as yours. i did a the brakes on it and it still did the same thing so i replaced my steering dampener and it quit. something to think about? if thats not it check to see if the front calipers are releasing properly.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM

my tires have never been balanced right...but after they did the ujoints...i felt a different vibrations other than the normal out of balance vibration. Something that i didnt feel before...and it has a low hum to it...so that makes me think it has something to do with the drive shaft. but i am gon get the tires balanced to prove him wrong.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Allstar93088
I am having horrible vibrations coming from the rear of the truck when i brake. It does vibrate all the time, say instead of braking i let it cruise down the vibrations dont happen. Even sometimes if i brake lightly it doesnt do it, but then sometimes it does, but if i ever need to stop and use the brake heavily its all over the place. I noticed the other day that the front differential seal was leaking, i just replaced it not even a month ago. I have also heard that it could be the tires or possibly the wheels your running, I just got the tires not even 4 months ago (Firestone Destination AT's 31x10.50) brand new. The wheels are the ones that came on the truck when i bought it, ICW i believe? (15x10 tear drop rims) Help me out here guys!I have done several things to try and figure it out but i cant seem to find the problem but now i am turning to the experts!

What I have done :
New brakes all the way around...2 months ago
Turned the drums...Last week
Replaced Front seal....month ago
I had the same problem it turned out my rear brakes were set too tight.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Try remounting your driveshaft 180* on the flange.
Thats a good idea yota4runna, I will try that monday. As for the tires being balanced I went yesterday to Firestone and got them balanced cost me $42 dollars. What a rip off especially considering i ask them to use the stick on weights but they didnt...they just reused the same weights i already had up there. but i must say it does ride alot better at 60 and 70 miles per hour. but that vibration is still there at 40 miles per hour, i told my mechanic it hasnt done that kinda vibration until they replaced the ujoints! so its got to be something in the driveshaft.

weakYota91...i never heard of setting the brakes to tight..but i guess its possible...what should i do to correct the problem because i am gettin beat to death in the cab.

Last edited by Allstar93088; 01-13-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive had the problem for a while too. when you say "vibrations" does the steeringwheel shake as well?

i would take the cake for having the worst brakes on all of yotatech. i know it. it sounds like someone is dieing when i brake, and it shakes pretty bad.. i can tell my rotors are warped because i feel it grab, then let go, then grab, then let go.
thats what i get for not replacing the drums and discs...
im saving up.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 AM

yes the steering wheel shakes baddly...i know thats becuase my rotors are warped i got some ordered...but my vibrations are coming from the rearend. Like the back end hops...its really hard to explain...just real annnnnoooyyyyin!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Well heres the update...I turned the driveshaft 180 degrees as recommended, problem still persist about 40 mph. It never started until they put the new u joints in, should you replace the bearings along with the ujoints? because i talked to my mechanic today he said it could be a bearing thats in the middle of the two piece drive shafts. Other than that...i need to take my wheels back to get rebalanced they rode fine until the day after...I asked them to use stick on weights because the lip of the wheel is so big that the traditional weights just pop right off if i hit a pot hole or run over a train track. Still waiting for my rotors to come in.

Should i ask my mechanic to recheck all the ujoints or redo them or what?
I really hope it isnt a beat axle...how much would that cost me?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM

If your mechanic replaced ALL the u-joints, the driveshaft needs rebalanced. That is only if he seperated both pieces of the driveshaft. Once they come apart, they must be rebalanced. If it was just the rear ujoint, disregaurd the previous statement. I would look very closely at your rear brakes. make sure all the adjustments are right, your E-brake isn't sticking etc. It might not be a bad idea to check the axle shafts at the same time. If everything is good, turn the drums again or replace them. I felt the same thing on my truck after I redid my rear end. The new drums I put on ended up being more square than they were round. after a good turn, brakes were fine. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 PM

You have what they call "rotor run-out" It is when the surface of your rotor is un even.

Quick Reply: Vibrations when braking!