Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Vibration After Rear Wheel Bearing Job

Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration After Rear Wheel Bearing Job

On my '89 4x4 Toyota Truck

Two weeks ago I replaced my rear axle bearings, seals, brake shoes, and wheel cylinders. Did not get the drums turned.

No long after started to notice a vibration and shaking in the back, especially with no load. It doesn't occur consistently, but typically at speeds around 30-50. One it gets going it will continue as I slow down and not subside until my speed has slowed to about 10mph. Doesn't matter if I'm in gear or not.

I have jacked up the rear to see how the wheels and tires rotate while in gear. Left side fine. Had to jack the right side up by itself, with the left still in contact with the ground, to get it to rotate. Spinning in second or third gear, could hear a pretty good clunking. Figured this to be tight brake shoes in a slightly out of round brake drum. Loosened the emergency brake cable and the clunking was reduced. I concluded it was not related to the vibration issue.

I can't help but think this vibration issue is related to the work just completed: wheel bearings, seals, etc. Obviously, something I did is related to it. Did taking the tires on and off, mounting them differently, change tire properties relative to each other, amplifying existing imbalance or out of roundness? Are the tighter axle bearings amplifying tire imperfections that were there before? The fact that the vibration does not occur with precise consistency leads me to believe it is related to the relative rotations of the back tires.

Anyone had this issue, or have any suggestions? Going to Les Schwab tomorrow to get the tires checked out.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did they remove the driveshaft for any reason?

If so, they probably put it back on in a different position relative to the rear flange.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 AM

Vibration after Rear Wheel Bearing Job

No, the drive shaft was not removed.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM

Problem Solved

After getting the rear tires balanced, the vibration still happening. Go home and yanked the brake drums, took them to the local shop for turning, and put them back on. No vibration.

I must not have noticed the vibration before doing the wheel bearing job because of the oil soaked brake shoes. Replaced the brake shoes with new ones. Untrue wheel drums then made more of an issue by the fresh shoes grabbing better.