86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vehicle Inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Inspection?

i got stopped at a roadside inspection on monday and issued a full blown vehicle inspection. i have 30 days to change my windshield, fabricate something metal to hold down my battery since the stock bracket sucks and bungy cords are apparently illegal. i have to get covers on my fog lights but what i am most worried about s my bj spacers and the trimming i had to do of the upper a arm.

has anyone ever had a vi in b.c.? any tips?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Find a local shop to do the inspection, preferable one that deals with trucks/offroad stuff... most of them are understandable.

DO NOT take it to a chain store.

Battery hold down?? What was a roadside inspection doing looking under the hood lol... Never seen that happen. Your battery should be able to be held down in whatever way you wish lol. Its a battery.... Who did the R.I. the cops or the DOT?

Fog lights shouldn't need covers either, as long as their mounted below the current headlights and turn off with the highbeams on ( easy to rig up )... They shouldn't need covers.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 PM

apparently the rubber can react with the battery acid and cause fire and my fog lights are 100watt clear lens which is apparently not allowed on highways.

it was rcmp "random check" they even measured my tires made me pull test my ebrake.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 PM

apparently the rubber can react with the battery acid and cause fire and my fog lights are 100watt clear lens which is apparently not allowed on highways.

it was rcmp "random check" they even measured my tires made me pull test my ebrake.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Wow lol never heard of rubber reacting haha. Damn you ever get shut down.

RCMP down here dont check that much stuff...Of course it helps to know a few of them lol.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM

if i got a vehicle inspection notice, i would go up to surrey and find a nice shop that will give me a pass. i will get pulled over one of these days for sure. i have no front plate, rear one is hard to see, blue leds in the corner lights. no mud flaps, battery is held on by rope. coolant overflow is held on by rope, no sway bar(removed it because it sucked), no New driver sign.

Last edited by gary96360; 04-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
crazy, cant belive they are gonna make you do all that crap
Old 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary96360
if i got a vehicle inspection notice, i would go up to surrey and find a nice shop that will give me a pass. n.
Only thing good in Surrey is the women.

Seriously I thought fog lights/aux lights were acceptable as long as you weren't driving with them on. Covers only required on lights mounted above the hood level.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Wow, where abouts were you? Did they pull you over or was it a check point?
Thats creepy stuff.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM

lol... and i drive around every day missing a cornering light with a car that's 2 different colors and someone like you gets pulled over
Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 AM

if i got a vehicle inspection notice, i would go up to surrey and find a nice shop that will give me a pass. i will get pulled over one of these days for sure. i have no front plate, rear one is hard to see, blue leds in the corner lights. no mud flaps, battery is held on by rope. coolant overflow is held on by rope, no sway bar(removed it because it sucked), no New driver sign.
they arent government inspection facility's?

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Wow, where abouts were you? Did they pull you over or was it a check point?
Thats creepy stuff.
i was in central BC, Lac La Hache to be exact. it was a check point, i guess they could tell my rig wasnt stock.

but seriously i am worried about the cutting i did to make room for the bj spacers and possible the egr mod i did. damn cops, i just got my rig back on the road. i need whatever use full info you may have.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Well for the bj spacers, maybe all you need to do is clean up the grind and give that area touch of paint. That way at least the eye will not be drawn to it.
Its just a lift and not illegal, so just clean it up.
What did you do to the EGR, and is it reversable?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Well for the bj spacers, maybe all you need to do is clean up the grind and give that area touch of paint. That way at least the eye will not be drawn to it.
Its just a lift and not illegal, so just clean it up.
What did you do to the EGR, and is it reversable?
i was thinking the same for the a arm cuts but i dont know how thorough they will be. i thouht they might think of it as frame alteration or something. the egr i just removed and put plates over the plenum and exhaust manifold.

where can i take it for the inspection? just any shop? thats approved obviously.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM

ok, got a windshield and a bunch of new light bulbs and still failed my VI.
my vins were wrong, the idiots at the insurance office had a '8' in place of a 'B' my front marker bulbs were burnt out, reverse lights dont work, no license plate lights and my e brake light and battery light dont turn off on my guage cluster.

so now after about $900 in parts including the windshield and some icbc hidden charges, i still have to go back for another VI!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
I hope there's a cotter pin in there

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB

yeah that's stupid; what if you have a spiral cell Optima which wont leak battery acid? and the fog-light's needing covers is rediculous too. I would think covers would be more of a luxury for you, to keep bugs off them and rocks from hitting them and such.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM

of course there is a cotter pin man! i just cut short so it doesnt fold under the stud.
and yes rcmp and dot are very stupid, but what a easy way to keep revenue coming in by screwing a guy who has no money and has been laid off for weeks and is on his way to a job interview. kick a**!
Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

What's a "New driver sign"?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 90RunnerRed
What's a "New driver sign"?
exactly what you think it means lol
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM

anyone know how to get the reverse lights working? or the battery light to go off or the e brake light?

Quick Reply: Vehicle Inspection?