86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

valve timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve timing

my engine has been running really awful since the rebuild and after hrs of searching i went bak to the basics and check the timing. it looks to be off by one tooth. would the engine even have ran at all if he vavle timing was off by one tooth?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:00 PM

sorry, it an 86 4runner 22re
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Timing

Originally Posted by surfmobile
my engine has been running really awful since the rebuild and after hrs of searching i went bak to the basics and check the timing. it looks to be off by one tooth. would the engine even have ran at all if he vavle timing was off by one tooth?
If it is at the distributor sure but you would be off center on your adj one way or the other and would effect motor , get the motor on TDC on #1 Cylinder and pull distributor and line up to #1 on cap and re-set timing with appropriate shorting technique for timing set ( I believe for yours you short the timing wires leaving distributor).

If you need to reference a Service manual online :
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-14-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
If it is at the distributor sure but you would be off center on your adj one way or the other and would effect motor , get the motor on TDC on #1 Cylinder and pull distributor and line up to #1 on cap and re-set timing with appropriate shorting technique for timing set ( I believe for yours you short the timing wires leaving distributor).

If you need to reference a Service manual online :
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/
I checked the FSM for a walkthru and the link is dead for it on that FSM , I e-mailed the guy who is hosting it so maybe he will fix soon .
Of course someone else may cruise in here and have it so hold on
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes it will run if it is off one tooth. but not very well

put the crankshaft at tdc #1 and the dowel on the camshaft that locates the cam sprocket should be straight up. the mark on the pulley should be 1/2 tooth off from straight up towards the left as you are looking at it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM

Timing

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
I checked the FSM for a walkthru and the link is dead for it on that FSM , I e-mailed the guy who is hosting it so maybe he will fix soon .
Of course someone else may cruise in here and have it so hold on
The guy e-mailed me back and said he will look at the dead link and hopefully get it up and working on that walkthru in the FSM .
If nothing else just remove #1spark plug and get piston on compression stroke and check the rotor button and make sure rotor points to #1 cylinder on cap with the distributor alignment marks (the housing mark at base of distributor and the one on block ) aligned (2 hash marks indicating center of range for distributor housing).
At TDC (Compression Stroke) the rotor will be dead on #1 cylinder on Dist. Cap (should be , if not then its off ).
TDC will be when your timing mark on crank pulley is dead on zero .
Also if you think you are on TDC Compression and check cap and the rotor is pointing pretty much the opposite direction then that will generally mean you are 180 degrees out of the Compression Stroke , just rotate motor one complete revolution and put that timing mark back on zero and that will be TDC Compression .
And if it is off and you have to move a tooth just remember the distributor drive gear teeth are curved so you will have to position the rotor button behind the point you want it to be when you slide distributor back in as it will mesh with drive gear and move before fully seated and stationary , you may find to get it to rest where you want it too you will have to rotate rotor button back a inch and a half or so to begin seating it so as you seat it it will move to the resting place you want it at

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-15-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM

well i went back and put the engine at tdc and the dowel on the camshaft was directly at the top, dead on perfect. however, there was a paint mark on the camshaft that would match up with the paint mark i put on the bearing cap if i advanced it one tooth. i feel the need to mention i am no longer using the stock camshaft, i got a 261C from engnbldr. well i set here back one tooth and even though she wouldn't idle, she sounded alot better. i had what sounded like a sticking valve before and that sound is gone, but she's got absolutely no power now. i can barely get into third before she wants to cut off. i'm going out to check the tps now, any other ideas are appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:12 PM

Timing

well i went back and put the engine at tdc and the dowel on the camshaft was directly at the top, dead on perfect. however, there was a paint mark on the camshaft that would match up with the paint mark i put on the bearing cap if i advanced it one tooth. i feel the need to mention i am no longer using the stock camshaft, i got a 261C from engnbldr. well i set here back one tooth and even though she wouldn't idle, she sounded alot better. i had what sounded like a sticking valve before and that sound is gone, but she's got absolutely no power now. i can barely get into third before she wants to cut off. i'm going out to check the tps now, any other ideas are appreciated.
A aftermarket cam shouldn't change your distributor alignment , I would imagine if you had a radical cam that would be done with valve/cam timing , your base timing setting might be different in light of the cam but at TDC #1Compression Stroke the rotor should be dead on #1 cylinder in the distributor cap with the Dristributor setting pretty much dead center of its range from left to right .
I would make sure you are ok there first then move on .
If you had a radical cam I would imagine they would have dialed it in (cam timing) but the dist. is going to mess up your spark timing and will really affect your performance if out a bit .

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-15-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you adjusted the valves correctly according the specs on your new cam? Aftermarkets can have different specs than stock....may be part of your problem right there.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:22 PM

where do i get those specks on valve cleareneces?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM

where do i get those specks on valve cleareneces?
email ted for them, he'll get right back to you. ask him for any suggestion regarding advancing your timing as well. your 261 cam will idle rough.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Have you adjusted the valves correctly according the specs on your new cam? Aftermarkets can have different specs than stock....may be part of your problem right there.
Very true indeed , mess motor all up
Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by javadoody
your 261 cam will idle rough.
Is this something that's just particular to running that cam, performance cams in general, or do you mean in relation to advancing the timing?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Is this something that's just particular to running that cam, performance cams in general, or do you mean in relation to advancing the timing?
yes, the 261 can be a bit lopey at idle, especially if you advance the timing (as a lot do).
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by javadoody
yes, the 261 can be a bit lopey at idle, especially if you advance the timing (as a lot do).
I want a Lopey Idle , I didn't think rice burners could Lope ...............................OMG is that a infraction ?????
Old 10-19-2007, 05:50 AM

mirror of the fsm up at http://myweb.dal.ca/is353832/93fsm/ if needed.