Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve Cover help and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover help and opinions

Well,

My radiator decided to finally give up the ghost and sprung a huge ass leak the other day. So I parked her and decided while I wait on the radiator to come in that I will go ahead and do the spark plugs, wires, and atleast take off the leaky drivers side valve cover and see what the issue with it is.

Valve cover didn't take too long to pop off, but under inspection I have a couple of worries. Front bolt hole has a crack on the tab (see pictures), the back lower corner was the one leaking like crazy, the metal sleeve slides easily out of the cover. The gasket doesn't look too bad but it has a couple little knicks in it. And what the hell is the little round circular gray thing on the front side of the throttle body, see pics again. It looks like the throttle is suppoused to hit it at some point but it is not connected to anything and I dont think my throttle has touched it in a long long time. If need be I will pickup another set of valve covers and go from there, I am already planning to replace the bolts.

Oh, and I noticed that silicone was added to each corner of the gasket, industrial standard and requirement?

Pics:
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q...valve%20cover/
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The grey thing is called the dashpot. It doesn't make sense to me call it that since the name explains in no way the function. I like to think of it as the throttle release dampener since that's what it does. If the dashpot goes out, the return idle will fluctuate and the engine will have the strong tendency to die....or atleast want to...when you release the throttle.

Anyway, the crack is no big deal, but the sleeve should be staying put as that is what's actually securing the valve cover down being that it's secured in the hole....or supposed to be. If you can't glue it somehow, I'd think you'd need to replace it. I say that because I've never had the problem, but I know how the valve cover tightens down.

Permatex....the black stuff...will work just fine to seal the half moon end of the valve cover. Sealing that spot is required. Some will probably tell you to use FIPG (form in place gasket) from Toyota....the stuff they use for dealership repairs and from the factory, but I've never had problems with the Permatex. Just make sure where it's applied.....the corners....is perfectly clean of oil and dirt. Brake cleaner, eh. Really the entire mating surface should be that way, but you understand.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by thook
The grey thing is called the dashpot. It doesn't make sense to me call it that since the name explains in no way the function. I like to think of it as the throttle release dampener since that's what it does. If the dashpot goes out, the return idle will fluctuate and the engine will have the strong tendency to die....or atleast want to...when you release the throttle.

Anyway, the crack is no big deal, but the sleeve should be staying put as that is what's actually securing the valve cover down being that it's secured in the hole....or supposed to be. If you can't glue it somehow, I'd think you'd need to replace it. I say that because I've never had the problem, but I know how the valve cover tightens down.

Permatex....the black stuff...will work just fine to seal the half moon end of the valve cover. Sealing that spot is required. Some will probably tell you to use FIPG (form in place gasket) from Toyota....the stuff they use for dealership repairs and from the factory, but I've never had problems with the Permatex. Just make sure where it's applied.....the corners....is perfectly clean of oil and dirt. Brake cleaner, eh. Really the entire mating surface should be that way, but you understand.
I can not dispute nor argue that the dashpot is a dampner...However...

A faulty dashpot will NOT cause an engine to die when letting off the gas. I removed mine over 20000 miles ago to remedy a problem where the engine would not idle below 2200 RPM's when letting off the throttle. I have also removed them from other trucks with no after problems. If the plunger is stuck out, as mine was, the throttle does not return to the proper location. The function of this devise is to reduce backfiring and jerking of the vehicle when letting off the gas.

It is the job of the IAC valve to keep the engine running while your foot is off the gas, allowing air to bypass the throttle plate while closed. If your truck shuts off at idle or when depressing the clutch I would check that first.

X2 for everything else commented here.

My $.02 for this thread.

Last edited by mr_schuster; 03-29-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mr_schuster
I can not dispute nor argue that the dashpot is a dampner...However...

A faulty dashpot will NOT cause an engine to die when letting off the gas. I removed mine over 20000 miles ago to remedy a problem where the engine would not idle below 2200 RPM's when letting off the throttle. I have also removed them from other trucks with no after problems. If the plunger is stuck out, as mine was, the throttle does not return to the proper location. The function of this devise is to reduce backfiring and jerking of the vehicle when letting off the gas.

It is the job of the IAC valve to keep the engine running while your foot is off the gas, allowing air to bypass the throttle plate while closed. If your truck shuts off at idle or when depressing the clutch I would check that first.

X2 for everything else commented here.

My $.02 for this thread.
"The function of this devise is to reduce backfiring and jerking of the vehicle when letting off the gas."

It's thereby a dampener. It keeps the throttle plate from shutting quite as abruptly. Atleast, that's the way it was explained to me and appears to be how it works. Without it, throttle plate does shut more immediately.

I don't want to argue this point. All I can tell you is that my '92 kept displaying the same symptoms I've mentioned above until I replaced the DP. If it sticks open, it will do what you say. I have seen that, also. But, mine appeared to be misfunctioning the other way....not sticking enough.

Someone explained to me that it helps relieve the vacuum load placed upon the motor by the auto transmission. Maybe it works differently in a standard...I don't know.

I'd looked into the possibility of the IAC valve on my vehicle, but there doesn't appear to be one. According to dealer, my model has a bi-metal valve instead.... located within the belly portion of the TB. This I don't know, either. Never bothered to investigate any further since the new DP fixed the problem. And, it wasn't coincidental since I did nothing else to address it.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 PM

Dashpot you say... Hmmm.. I just found it wierd as it is not connected to anything at all, I might just yank it off and see what happens. The sleeve sliding out had me the most worried as that is where the majority of the leak seems to come from. The crack to the sleeve on the front was just a little "interesting bit" but it never leaked up there. Guess I will look into a new set of covers, I know there is a set on eBay for cheap right now, unless you guys can think of a hard enough glue that would hold up to the pressures and heat where it is.

Edit: I have a smaller leak on the Passenger side and will be planning a repair for it when I acquire another vehicle to drive for a longer period of time.

Oh and should the gasket seal be placed over the full half moon, or as they placed it - just at the bottom edge of the halfmoon?

Last edited by Screamsalvation; 03-29-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM

The DP isn't supposed to be connected to anything. It's operation is not dependant on anything else with the motor. The throttle lever should come in contact with it when at idle, though. But, from you're pic, it appears to be fine. However, there should a filter and cap on it.

If it's there's not a problem, there's no real reason to remove it unless you're just curious. But, whatever floats your boat, man.

I don't know of any glues that would be strong enough, personally. Epoxy or JB Weld might work. Don't know.

The sealant only needs to go on the corners...the bottom edge where they had it.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Well, I guess I will be tossing this valve cover out and huntin up a new one. I've been driving a Ford Ranger and damn I miss the yota. Should have the radiator in this week and hopefully the valve covers so I can be up and running by the weekend.