Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve chatter when cold, purring when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve chatter when cold, purring when hot.

Is this normal? Found two threads that were asking about valve chatter when warm, but purring when cold. I have the opposite problem. Once my engine warms up it purrs, but when it's cold I have a bit of a tick/chatter going. Even if I start the truck warm, it will chatter at first until I pump the pedal and it smooths out. It almost seems like the oil isn't circulating correctly at first and it has to warm up or needs a pedal pump to circulate when starting warm. The valves have recently been adjusted, twice. Fresh mobil 1 10w30 and oem oil filter. Chain, guides and tensioner are good. Anything I can do? The truck and engine only have 35k so there shouldn't be too much chatter yet. '87 22R 4x4. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 AM

I'm guessing that this is normal...
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Granted I have a 3VZ-E engine, but it could be due to higher RPMs when starting up the truck. My truck when it is cold starts at about 1600 RPMs and it is quite loud (no abnormal knocking, just little ticks and chatters). As it warms up the RPM's drop lower to the 800-900 range where it normally operates and becomes noticeably quieter.

Just listen for any loud knocks or weird rattling noises. The rest is quite normal. If you have any noises the get louder when it's warm that's when you have an issue.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM

valve adjustment?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM

pop the valve cover and try your darnedest to shine a light down and inspect the passenger side timing chain guide, and or make sure you have adequate oil pressure, mine rattles a bit on start up, but just for a few seconds, as i understand it oil pressure needs to build up to keep timing chain tension, u may be hearing chain slap until your pressure builds and tensioner takes up the slack, you may be able to avoid a timing kit job, and just change your oil and use a toyota oil filter with an anti drainback valve, the small one not some honkin huge fj thing, this may help you biuld oil pressure more quickly, otherwise you may be in for a timing kit and oil pump, if you do pop the valve cover to spy down at your guides may as well adjust valves while you are in there

Last edited by Killgore Trout; 04-17-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Killgore Trout
pop the valve cover and try your darnedest to shine a light down and inspect the passenger side timing chain guide, and or make sure you have adequate oil pressure, mine rattles a bit on start up, but just for a few seconds, as i understand it oil pressure needs to build up to keep timing chain tension, u may be hearing chain slap until your pressure builds and tensioner takes up the slack, you may be able to avoid a timing kit job, and just change your oil and use a toyota oil filter with an anti drainback valve, the small one not some honkin huge fj thing, this may help you biuld oil pressure more quickly, otherwise you may be in for a timing kit and oil pump, if you do pop the valve cover to spy down at your guides may as well adjust valves while you are in there
Thanks for the reply killgore. I had the head off and checked out the timing chain/guides and adjusted the valves about 500 miles ago. All is well. I adjusted them while warm and they sound great warm... just not as great cold. Also have oem oil filter with anti drainback valve on. Maybe the 22R is just noisy when cold?

If my oil pressure was low at startup or when cold, what do I need to do?

Edit: Not the HEAD off, the valve cover off. Typo.

Edit Edit: By the way, I don't have an oil pressure gauge (bare bones cluster, no tac) just the dummy light. Have no idea what my oil pressure is, but I'm willing to bet that it's low when cold. Any way to figure it out without oil pressure gauge?

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-18-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Inspect your oil pressure switch and the dummy light. This will tell you if it's functional, if it's functional your pressure is ok, atleast to that point.

You need to get the stethoscope out and isolate the noise source area. Once you know where it is it'll be easier to identify what the issue is.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe too thick oil
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks everyone. I got the stethoscope out (I'm an emt, so it's not an auto one) and stuck my ear in there, as well. It's definitely not the chain. The chain is whirring along in there quite quietly. It's the valves. Right when I get over the valves I can hear the "pop pop". Again, it's ridiculously quiet when warm, so maybe the "pop pop" when cold is just normal. I am just getting used to the 22R engine. And I am running 10w30 I wouldn't think that this is too thick for 50 degree Seattle weather...

Edit: I'm taking off for my six month job in a national park in a couple of days - and won't be able to do anything to my truck for this period. This is why I'm trying to tackle anything I can now.

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-18-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Totally normal. When the engine heats up, the valves heat up and the valve stems expand and take up the slack. This is why you set your valve lash while the engine is hot.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bingle
Totally normal. When the engine heats up, the valves heat up and the valve stems expand and take up the slack. This is why you set your valve lash while the engine is hot.
Thanks Bingle. I had a feeling it was paranoia. I've just been doing so many things to this engine - as a new wrencher - I was worried that maybe I screwed something up.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM

One last question: Is it pretty normal to have a high idle stutter at first cold start of the day? I have a magnaflow muffler and 2.25 inch pipe that I just installed, there was always a stutter, but it's more pronounced now. Guy said he looked inside the cat and it was fine, but maybe he was lazy. First thirty seconds is a bit rough (stuttering) not too bad, then I kick down the high idle a bit after thirty seconds and it goes away. Had the carb rebuilt two weeks ago and readjusted twice, full tune up and timing about five months ago, plugs caps wires, head gasket three months ago plugs. What do you think?

Again, I'm leaving for Yosemite on Sunday for six months and just want to take care of any potential truck issues now. Thanks!

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM

From what I can tell by searching - it can be anything from a clogged cat, to vacuum leak to bad plug wires... or maybe it's normal for a 22R to stutter a bit when cold for the first 30 seconds. Just would love to fix whatever it is before I split! If necessary...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM

For me this has always been normal, especially when I am press the gas under a load. I thought mine was getting a bit louder, so I thought it was time for a valve adjustment, but everything was with in spec when warm. I have never ever had a problem with my 22re and I wouldn't hesitate to drive that truck to the ends of the earth and back right now.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
For me this has always been normal, especially when I am press the gas under a load. I thought mine was getting a bit louder, so I thought it was time for a valve adjustment, but everything was with in spec when warm. I have never ever had a problem with my 22re and I wouldn't hesitate to drive that truck to the ends of the earth and back right now.
Well, thanks. I'm about to do just that (drive to the ends of the earth, or rather Seattle to LA, to Joshua Tree, to Yosemite) on Sunday. I've never had a stutter or issue while accelerating in any way. Just slight stutter first 30 seconds of cold start. So, I guess I'm doing okay.

Time for fresh oil and filter and I'm on the road!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:13 AM

I forgot to add my "rattle" goes away rather quickly as well. So no worries man you are good.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not saying this is your problem, but worn rocker shafts and rocker arm bushings can contribute to excessive noise during cold starts which goes away as the engine warms and/or oil pressure builds.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm not saying this is your problem, but worn rocker shafts and rocker arm bushings can contribute to excessive noise during cold starts which goes away as the engine warms and/or oil pressure builds.
Thanks abecedarian. But how worn could the rocker arm bushings and shafts be after only 35k miles? This engine just hasn't been used...

On a side note, I just flew 1100 miles from Seattle to LA in two days with no problems. This little 22R loves the mountains!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saltandgranite
Thanks abecedarian. But how worn could the rocker arm bushings and shafts be after only 35k miles? This engine just hasn't been used...

On a side note, I just flew 1100 miles from Seattle to LA in two days with no problems. This little 22R loves the mountains!
I think that proves you've got nothing to worry about. If you can make a drive that long with no issues with a truck that old, you're good.