Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

VAFM swap and ISR mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAFM swap and ISR mod

1995 4runner. 3-veezy, auto

I started on my VAFM swap and ISR mod today. I broke my vafm wire harness area when trying to take it out so instead of getting a 4runner one i got one from a 91 camry instead. The hole is a decent amount bigger on the camry than the 4runner. I have been having a hard time trying to get the right intake pipes from junkyards but i think i may have found some that will work today at one.
Anyone have any recommendations for the easiest ISR pipe?

I will be posting pics as I go through the process, I only have a couple for now.
I dropped my camera and cracked the filter so now the filter is stuck on the lens and i cant get it off.

My only concern with the VAFM swap is the engine running lean. I've read that the engine will run lean from some people but some others say it wont because the ecu will notice a difference and compensate for it. If it was running lean wouldnt it throw a code? I really dont want to run it lean and not have a code show up and be slowly messing up my engine.

Im hoping to get some better throttle response from this mod and a nice sounding intake. Maybe an mpg or two if I'm lucky. I feel like these mods will make it easier for the engine to breath which is the main reason im doing it.

Short Version: vafm swap and isr mod, what is the easiest pipe to use for the isr mod? and will the bigger vafm cause the engine to run lean? or would it throw a code?

Will be adding more pics as I start working on it more, maybe this week but definitely this weekend.

Camry on left, old one on right

Nice crack on my filter, but at least it saved my lens

Last edited by boogieboarder; 01-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What year and what motor does your truck have ?. If you have a 22RE the AFM part number is 22250-43110, so it it doesn`t have that part number it won`t work on a 22RE unless you swap the board from your stock AFM into the new one. If this is for a 3.0, im not sure what the part number should be.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

I completely forgot to puut what truck i had, 95 4runner, 3vze
Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM

When you swap in the new AFM are you going to use a stock air box, or are you going to use a cone fitler instead ?. I have larger AFM for my 86 4Runner and i just put a cone filter on it, its a lot louder than stock, but it sounds good.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 AM

I am going to use the camry airbox. The camry vafm doesnt fit on the stock airbox, its too big.

And with your cone filter, do you know if mud/dirt gets through it? Cause most of the wheeling i do in Virginia involves a little mud and sometimes alot. Im worried a cone filter would get soaked from a spalsh or something
Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM

It would be a good idea to use a stock air box if you go through water or mud. I don`t do any of that on my truck, so the cone filter works good for me.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
should plug and play the fe camry motor is the same as the 3vze with fe heads or 5vz heads. same displacement. i would think the way toyota is that it should be interchangeable. you should grab those heads off the camry and swap them on your veezee with fe pistons and 3.4 intake it would be sweet, nice mod though
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Thanks, Im going to finish it this weekend so there will be more pics of it.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by boogieboarder
Thanks, Im going to finish it this weekend so there will be more pics of it.
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Just finished it today. Will post pics probably tomorrow. Sounds real good especially around 3k-4k. I can also notice increased throttle response and it just seems like its doing better. I havnet driven it much yet so ill update this as I put more miles on it. The only concern I have is that one part of the intake hose is touching the master cylinder. Is that bad?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM

Any way to move it a little ?, you don`t want it to wear through the intake tube.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

ehh not really i dont think. would it be alright if i put something in between them?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 AM

Overall, very impressed so far considering the money spent. the airbox/vafm was about $60 and then i spent around $5-$10 on the rest of the pipes/materials. Noticeable difference in overall driving/speed and definitely better throttle response. Also sounds very nice when it revs . Im going to keep track of mpg so ill post that up later but its hard to keep my foot off the gas haha, the sound is addicting.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

pics!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Pics finally::

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Didnt feel like making brackets to hold it in haha so I just used a bungee cord. Its in there really good though
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Some bad news but im not sure its related to the intake or not. But when i first did it it would hesitate every once in a while when i stepped on it, maybe twice or 3 times at most. But today i drove about 70 miles and did a little wheelin and as i got close to home it started acting really weird. the exhaust smelled very weird/bad, the engine started dying, it idled really low and when i was driving it would just start dying randomly then pick back up and drive fine then repeat that process the whole way home. it was hesitating really bad at times. not sure what it is....but im guesssing the intake
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM

checked the codes today, got a code 31 which is something to do with the vafm i think. makes sense i think i mightve gotten water in it or something or maybe it was bad when i got it from the junkyard
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure it's sealed up good, don't want any extra air in there.

looks like a piece of electrical plastic conduit would fit perfect in there in place of the stock accordian stuff; use a 45' elbow piece trimmed to length with som rubber PVC couplings to attach.

looks good though, hope you figure out the code and why it's happening.

The contact with the MC doesn't look bad a little duct tape to slow down the wear would be plenty I think if ya don't mind some 'ghetto' rig, hahaa!

you can test the VAFM for resistance specs as per FSM (might need the camry manual but probably similar to the veezy) to rule out the new VAFM being faulty but I'd bet it's something with the seal/vaccuum lines?

Quick Reply: VAFM swap and ISR mod