Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

V6 Timing Question...

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Timing Question...

Hi yotatech,

Excuse my noob questions, I searched..

Is there any threads or links explaining how to check the timing on the 3.0? I am looking into checking mine and possibly adjusting it. I am pretty mechanically inclined but I have never messed with timing before.

Also, I think I am getting close to a timing belt replacement as well. is there an easy way to check and inspect the belt? When my engine is cold there is also a bit of a squeal...sounds like its coming from the front of the engine (water pump?..). Are there Idler pulleys that can go bad around there?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lets see..the squeal noise...do you have any loose belts? If it goes away it's probably a belt. As far as timing goes. you need a jumper wire, there is a small balck box attached to your fuse box under your hood. Open it up and you will see a bunch of connectors inside. On the inside of the lid it lists what connector is what. Put your jumper wire between TE1 and E1. With the motor running at operating temp, hook your timing light up tothe battery and to #1 plug wire and check timing. Base timing needs to be at 10 deg btc and base idle with your jumper removed should be at 800 rpm
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That little box is your diagnostic port. The same terminals he describes are used to also pull any CEL codes in the event the CEL should come on. Yours may be gray, though. It is on my '92 3.0.

Here's the FSM guide for timing belt assembly inspection.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...67timingbe.pdf
It doesn't appear to cover an actual spec for timing belt tension, but a visual inspection would tell you a lot. There should be barely any play at all in the belt if it's still in good shape.

Listen around the engine bay for where the sound is coming from. There are two idler pulleys (illustrated in the link above) that can go bad and cause a squeal, but it's also quite ordinary for cold belts to squeal. Spray some penetrating fluid or other lube on the belts and see if the sound goes away. There again, a belt could just be loose.

If any of the belts aren't the problem, run the inspection in the link. If it's possible, you might go ahead and get a timing belt kit to be prepared in the event it needs replacing right then. If not, and if you haven't opened any packaging, you can return the kit and wait. That's what I'd do, anyway.