Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Using Overdrive to downshift (automatic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Overdrive to downshift (automatic)

Hey everyone i was just wondering if there is anything i can damage by repeatedly downshifting with the overdrive button on the stick (automatic transmission). I use it to come to stops from high speeds etc. to save my brakes some wear. Sorry if the question sounds stupid... thanks
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Trans: $500+
Brakes: $45

Why chance it?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

While it might not cause any overt damage, it *does* generate significantly more heat and heat is the arch enemy of automatic transmissions.

Folks with two views are going to chime in on this, as they always have. Those who downshift their automatics and have had no problems, and those who believe it to be harmful.

The "expired ˟˟˟˟˟-cat" has it right, why build up the heat/risk it when brakes are cheap!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with cougar -

The gearing in 3rd gear is 1 to 1 - the gearing in OD is less that 1 - 1 - so technically speaking, you should be able to downshift from OD to third with no problem, but why?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heat is an automatic transmissions enemy, more heat the more wear. Brakes cost about 50 bucks to replace yourself, a trans is 1500... You choice.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Hey at least when it blows up you can put a 5spd in it
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Gonna have to go with the Tranny work 500+ vs. new brakes 75 bucks.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
lol Expired ˟˟˟˟˟-cat. I love it.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 AM

the only time i use that feature is when i really need to pass someone. other than that, if you put your foot down it will do the same thing. i see no reason to frequently use that OD button.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it makes ya feel good, do it.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:52 PM

i totally agree with the tranny being worth way more than the brakes so i guess that is good enough a reason for me to stop doing it. Especially since blowing up the tranny would not go to well with my budget.

PS: I wish i had a 5spd
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
eightnine, I don't think downshifting to 3rd to get a little engine break will hurt anything. Surely Toyota wouldn't put a button on their AT's that says "push me to wear out your transmission!"

Your tranny shifts a hundred times every time you drive it around. If you pull off OD from time to time to slow down when going downhill or if you need to stop quickly, then that's only another few times that it shifts.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rust Bucket you couldnt be more wrong. Granted I had a Camry but this still applies:

On my old Camry (93 V6) I used to do exactly what the OP is doing, the shifting solenoid (I believe blew) and I couldnt accelerate wortha crap unless I babied it when it was ready to go into gear. I couldnt accelerate off the line, it would go straight to redline and not shift till I let off.

Before it started happening I put about 20k on it using the OD button all the time.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by eightnine
<SNIP>

PS: I wish i had a 5spd

Why ????

Fred
Old 09-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Why ????

Fred
because i dont have the ability to choose when i want to shift and not being able to downshift gets anoyying. Also my truck is pretty much a slug as it is and my buddy has a 5spd in his truck and it just seems to be more fun.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by eightnine
because i dont have the ability to choose when i want to shift and not being able to downshift gets anoyying. Also my truck is pretty much a slug as it is and my buddy has a 5spd in his truck and it just seems to be more fun.
Within reason, you can chose where you shift.
Look the shifter in the vehicle. Not that you don't have to start off or stay in 'D'.

What's the big deal with downshifting ? Brakes are there to stop and/or slow the vehicle. They're your friend...

As everyone else has said, brakes are cheap. They're a consumable item. They are meant and designed to wear and be replaced.

Fred
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Dont' sweat it. The torque required to spin a coasting engine is nothing compared to that which is required to accelerate the truck. Every sticks shift does this all the time.

What kills trannies typically is heavy torque loads for long periods of time. For example, when towing, it is FAR easier on the tranny to let the engine rev but at say half throttle than nearly full throttle at a lower RPM.

In our trucks, switching out of OD to downshift has the added benefit that the torque converter locks up which shears the fluid far less and keeps transmission temperatures down. You can save fuel as well as wear and tear by manually shifting to 3rd and climbing a hill with much less pedal than you would if you floor it to kick it down where the torque converter will remain unlocked (in OD setting but in 3rd)

I do not shift to 3rd to hold down speed unless descending a long and steep grade where you can get the brakes quite hot. In that case it is a good idea to use the engine because you can keep the brakes relatively cool in case you really do have to stop quickly. That is not often though.

Frank
Old 09-09-2007, 08:49 PM

thank you everyone for your advice and comments, this place is the best when it comes to getting help!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 PM

i dont know how bad it is...

all i can say is im almost at 200,000 and i have used it most times to stop
i live in cali, and stopping asap can be a must, sometimes on the freeway/ 50mph road. i use my "emergency combo", shift auto down to 2nd o/d off and brake when i have to!

i dont know how bad it could be, ive NEVER replaced the tranny or had to.
one time (well many times)

i have a hard time stopping downhill especially, and it sucks, my buddies runner does a LOT better than mine. and had to swerve to the shoulder lol.

im a good driver though dont get me wrong ive never had a ticket/accident.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
While it might not cause any overt damage, it *does* generate significantly more heat and heat is the arch enemy of automatic transmissions.

This is not true, I have a tranny temp gauge and if you are in overdrive traveling down the road and you step on it and it shifts out on its own, your temp will shoot up. Now the same situation, you hit the OD off button, your temp will pretty much stay the same if not drop a bit. Elripster explained the reason very well.

Quick Reply: Using Overdrive to downshift (automatic)