Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

using the clutch start cancel switch as a kill switch

Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
using the clutch start cancel switch as a kill switch

I read somewhere that if the wires from the clutch start switch on the cab floor are disconnected (it's actuated by fully depressing the clutch pedal to the floor), then the clutch start cancel switch on the dash can be used to start the vehicle.

I also read in my owner's manual that the vehicle should not be normally started using the clutch start cancel switch.

I'm just looking for a cheap kill switch and was wondering if anyone uses this technique as a deterent for would be theives.

Any thoughts?

Troy
Old 12-08-2005, 05:13 AM

I don't see how it can act as a kill switch.

People steal gen 1 toyota's?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:52 AM

The reason not to normally start the truck using the clutch-start-cancel switch is for safety. The truck can fire and run, transforming your garage into one of those convenient drive-through models.

The cancel switch is wired in parallel with the pedal switch, allowing either switch to start the truck. I am not intimately familiar with the wiring diagram, but if the cancel switch/wiring could be rewired to be in series with the pedal switch, then you would have to press both the pedal and the cancel switch to get it to start.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ken.vs.ryu
I don't see how it can act as a kill switch.
I didn't know what else to call it. Unplugging the cancel switch may mimick what a starter kill switch would do. A would be thief may think that the starter was cut off while trying to start the vehicle with the clutch pedal depressed.

Originally Posted by ken.vs.ryu
People steal gen 1 toyota's?
I don't know about other places. I can speak for British Columbia in Canada. It's on our list for one of the top 25 most stolen vehicles.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.baitcar.com/prevention/to...itish_columbia

http://www.icbc.com/crime-fraud/pdf/PI213M_(042005).pdf

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 12-08-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Unhappy99
The reason not to normally start the truck using the clutch-start-cancel switch is for safety. The truck can fire and run, transforming your garage into one of those convenient drive-through models.
Are you saying that the truck can fire and run without inserting the key? I disconnected the pedal switch last night and could only start it up by turning the ignition key to the position just before firing, pressing the cancel switch, and then turning the key fully to fire it up. Is there another way?

The cancel switch is wired in parallel with the pedal switch, allowing either switch to start the truck. I am not intimately familiar with the wiring diagram, but if the cancel switch/wiring could be rewired to be in series with the pedal switch, then you would have to press both the pedal and the cancel switch to get it to start.

I like the idea of rewiring the pedal switch in series and hiding a toggle switch to close the circuit, thus requiring both pressing the pedal switch and closing the toggle switch to get a start. That makes sense to me. I'm going to look into it today.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Also, does anyone have an idea of how I can wire in a blinking light that activates after the engine stops running? I want it to like look there's an alarm or immobilzer device installed.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 12-08-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/car-alarm-1.php
Old 12-08-2005, 07:51 AM

Sorry for the confusion. No, the truck will not start without the key. The pedal switch allows the ignition switch to power the starter. The cancel switch does the same thing as the pedal switch.

If you get into the habit of using the cancel switch instead of pressing the clutch, you risk making the mistake of leaving it in gear, pushing the switch and keying the starter when you really shouldn't, such as in your garage.

Attached blinky light circuit. I would go with Method 2, unless I could find a really good ground-with-ignition-off wire. i.e. one that doesn't care that you pump 20mA back through it.

Or, if you can find a hot-with-ignition-off wire, use Method 1, replacing the +12 with the hot-with-ignition-off wire and taking the other end directly to ground
Attached Thumbnails using the clutch start cancel switch as a kill switch-blinky.gif  

Last edited by Unhappy99; 12-08-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry for the confusion. No, the truck will not start without the key. The pedal switch allows the ignition switch to power the starter. The cancel switch does the same thing as the pedal switch.

If you get into the habit of using the cancel switch instead of pressing the clutch, you risk making the mistake of leaving it in gear, pushing the switch and keying the starter when you really shouldn't, such as in your garage.

Attached blinky light circuit. I would go with Method 2, unless I could find a really good ground-with-ignition-off wire. i.e. one that doesn't care that you pump 20mA back through it.

Or, if you can find a hot-with-ignition-off wire, use Method 1, replacing the +12 with the hot-with-ignition-off wire and taking the other end directly to ground

Thanks again! I'll look for a hot-with-ignition-off wire first and then take if from there.

Troy
Old 12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Grounded
Apparently the Accord I purchased was broken into in the past. The Accord is not listed on the ICBC list, but it is listed on the baitcar list. Looks like I'm going to have to look into an immobilizer/alarm.

I'm still waiting for my CAT (Combat Auto Theft program in B.C.) label to come in the mail. http://www.icbc.com/Crime-Fraud/auto...fta_catprg.asp Hope it comes soon!

Yes, indeed Pat! An immoblizer is a must, especially for your Accord. It's just a sitting duck waiting to be lured into a chop shop.

BTW, I was able to get my CAT sticker at the Steveston Community Police station without having them mail anything to me.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 12-08-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just unplug the little connector down by your clutch and yes you'll have to use the clutch start cancel button...I've done and a bunch of other people on here have done it, I highly doubt its bad for the truck in any eay. i did because I don't want people trying to drive my truck who I don't want to (i.e someone stealing it, valets, friends, family etc.)
Old 12-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Just unplug the little connector down by your clutch and yes you'll have to use the clutch start cancel button...I've done and a bunch of other people on here have done it, I highly doubt its bad for the truck in any eay. i did because I don't want people trying to drive my truck who I don't want to (i.e someone stealing it, valets, friends, family etc.)
I'm going to take it one step further and install a toggle switch in series with either the clutch-start-cancel switch, or with the clutch pedal switch and disable the clutch-start-cancel switch.

Troy
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM

Why not just wire a toggle switch in series with your fuel pump... and then hide the toggle switch under the dash or something? Your car won't start with out fuel, thought it sounded like a good solution?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this is a most excellent thread...my clutch switch has been removed for years, a toggle switch down there will do nicely, and maybe another in the engine bay....i'm taking a road trip to san diego...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:07 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I'm a retard and I need clarification here: With the clutch switch disconnected, is it possible to start the truck without the key? (like if someone were to try to steal it)
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BAZ
Sorry, I'm a retard and I need clarification here: With the clutch switch disconnected, is it possible to start the truck without the key? (like if someone were to try to steal it)

I don't know anything about hot wiring a car. Does anyone else care to chime in? I would like to know also.

Troy
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet it says 86 and up runners get stolen more, phwew im glad i have an 85.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
sweet it says 86 and up runners get stolen more, phwew im glad i have an 85.
Your solid axle has a high drool factor for would-be thieves that want to do off roading or parting out. If it were my rig, I wouldn't risk it, especially if you are already out in the middle of nowhere. I've heard that for early model yotas, there weren't that many keys made and that makes it even easier to steal.

Troy
Old 12-12-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by troy65
I don't know anything about hot wiring a car. Does anyone else care to chime in? I would like to know also.

Troy
NO, the truck will not start w/o the "kill" activated/energized. the clutch switch is a safety element (so you don't create a drive-thru from the garage, see above). i think what you want is an additional theif deterrent. moving the clutch switch to a secret place does this, but you lose the safety feature. an additional switch which cuts off the electrical supply to ...say the starter will do this. the elect fuel pump is another good one. at this point think of the key as a steering lock.
the key start could then be by-passed to create a push button start (secret location again) in conjunction with the clutch switch. my friend had his wired into the high beam passing (the momentary switch, not the ON) on the column. pull the high beam, push the clutch, turn the key...vroooooommmm. any ??
Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by boyota
NO, the truck will not start w/o the "kill" activated/energized. the clutch switch is a safety element (so you don't create a drive-thru from the garage, see above). i think what you want is an additional theif deterrent. moving the clutch switch to a secret place does this, but you lose the safety feature. an additional switch which cuts off the electrical supply to ...say the starter will do this. the elect fuel pump is another good one. at this point think of the key as a steering lock.
the key start could then be by-passed to create a push button start (secret location again) in conjunction with the clutch switch. my friend had his wired into the high beam passing (the momentary switch, not the ON) on the column. pull the high beam, push the clutch, turn the key...vroooooommmm. any ??
Very cool. Did he run the high beam wire in series with the clutch pedal switch? Is it an easily accessible wire without taking any part of the steering column apart?

Troy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: using the clutch start cancel switch as a kill switch