86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgraded wiring harness from 4crawler

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Upgraded wiring harness from 4crawler

I'm sick and tired of the jacked up switching for the high and low beams on my 89 4runner and was looking at the wiring harness from 4crawler as an alternative. I have not been able to find anyone that has used it however and am asking that if you have installed the harness did you have any issues with it?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-29-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribed
Old 10-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
What's the deal with the high beams? They not working? I only ask, 'cause I'm not sure what the dealio is...?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used his harness on my 95Runner it really doesn't get any easier as far as install goes.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
What's the deal with the high beams? They not working? I only ask, 'cause I'm not sure what the dealio is...?
The high beams were not working so I pulled and filed the switch. Then they worked but were very dim, pulled the switch again, not so dim but now there is a lag time between hitting the switch and the lights coming one. Sometimes they still fail to fire. THe switch is really pitted and I'm guessing had been having trouble for a while before I bought the rig.

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
I used his harness on my 95Runner it really doesn't get any easier as far as install goes.
Thanks! That is what I needed to hear. Do you remember if getting the harness installed made the low beams any brighter? Mine are as dim as can be.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did an h4 conversion on my 86 truck. Best improvement I have made to it so far. My lights were so dim I could barely see 10 ft in front of the truck when it was raining (it was about as bright as my 4runer is with one burnt out low beam) now its so much better.

Here is the link
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...talled-159609/
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM

As of right now Roger does not have that harness kit in stock. I am waiting to buy one, if he does take the plunge and purchase the minimum order quantity.

It has to be better than stock, has to be. With his harness installed you no longer have all of the current going through the sterring column to power the lights. They will draw directly from the battery with a relay turning them on.

I did the H4 conversion with Hella lenses and Hella 100/80 W bulbs. I really want to put the new harness in, as I am drawing far more current than stock even on low beam.

Maybe we can get a group buy going? Any interest out there?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

I might be interesting in the wiring pool as well. What are the benefits of the upgraded wiring harness?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I might be interesting in the wiring pool as well. What are the benefits of the upgraded wiring harness?
It eliminates the large current draw through the steering column switches. With the new harness the lights are now hooked up directly to the battery through a relay. The relay is triggered by the stock connection to the lights. The switch in the steering column now carries very little current, hence ending the issues with burned and worn contacts.

This is especially needed when upgrading to the H4 lenses with higher current bulbs.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Do you remember if getting the harness installed made the low beams any brighter? Mine are as dim as can be.
I don't remember it being a big difference on my Runner as far a lighting goes. However I wasn't having any electrical issues either. I was just trying to improve the light output.
You, however should benefit from the harness since you have a wonky switch.
You still might wanna do the checks that Roger has on his website.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
As of right now Roger does not have that harness kit in stock. I am waiting to buy one, if he does take the plunge and purchase the minimum order quantity.

It has to be better than stock, has to be. With his harness installed you no longer have all of the current going through the sterring column to power the lights. They will draw directly from the battery with a relay turning them on.

I did the H4 conversion with Hella lenses and Hella 100/80 W bulbs. I really want to put the new harness in, as I am drawing far more current than stock even on low beam.

Maybe we can get a group buy going? Any interest out there?

I'm in. I had intended on ordering one tonight......
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bxlt
I did an h4 conversion on my 86 truck. Best improvement I have made to it so far. My lights were so dim I could barely see 10 ft in front of the truck when it was raining (it was about as bright as my 4runer is with one burnt out low beam) now its so much better.

Here is the link
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...talled-159609/
That's a nice write up! I was looking at the similar write up on 4crawlers site and was thinking that it'd be a good idea to do both the harness and lights at the same time. My lights are really poor and when it rains I can't see a damn thing.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking h4 conversion/harness at the same time as well, I'd be in for the group if that happens.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Mr. Junkers -----

Any update on the headlight concersion and wiring harness improvements???
Old 12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
im also very interested. Currently losing over a volt from the battery to the lights.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didnt use roger's harness but I did make my own. I used 12ga wire through relays for the lights and I didnt really notice a difference. I think if I wanted to notice a difference I would have and if I didnt I wouldnt.

Much like using high-dollar RCA cables or HDMI cables at home. If you are trying to justify the cost in your head, you "notice" it, 99.99% of people wouldn't notice any difference listening to Michael Jackson with a $2.00 RCA cable, or a $100 Monster Cable RCA. Most people wouldnt notice a difference in their picture quality either in a cable that came in the box (a cheapie) or a $150 Monster Cable either.

My son use to "run faster" in his brand new shoes as well and some kids can "make more free-throws" when they are wearing their new Jordan's.

If you upgrading the lights also then everything changes. I am talking stock to stock with just wiring upgrade.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by dntsdad; 12-07-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM

I installed mine 2 weeks ago, night and day difference. It was a better upgrade then the H4 conversion I did.

4crawler has them in stock now.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Hmm. Site still says out stock. I have been wanting the harness since I got my h4 conversions close to a year ago. Maybe Roger will jump on here and confirm he has it. Then the mad dash to buy em begins! It's the yota equivalent to tickle me Elmo!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:29 PM

When I got mine his site said he was out. I emailed him and he said to just order it. I got it a few days later and his site said they were still out of stock. Email 4crawler, he is very fast at responding to emails and very helpful.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love mine, works great.

Quick Reply: Upgraded wiring harness from 4crawler