Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

updates and hang ups: project drag

Old 07-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updates and hang ups: project drag

Since the last time I posted anything about it I have lowered it a total of 12in, 4in lower than stock, replaced all of the clutch system since is was crap, got new one piece aluminum American Racing 15x9 wheels and some Road Hugger 255/60 tires. I also finshed most of my 4Runner interior swap. All I need now is the shifter surround and boot for a standard 4Runner. I have an automatic lol.
Everything is going pretty smooth so far other then the typical 21 year old truck temper fits it has. The horn honks at random which is actually kind of funny and the ground wire on the air conditioner compressor unplugs its self. My biggest hang ups at the moment are with my attempt at an EFI conversion. I have a 89 4Runner as a donor vehicle so I know I have all the parts. I have already gone through all of the threads on the search option and I still don't really understand the whole wiring part of it. Also the lower intake manifold is stuck to the head. I have tried several things and nothing has worked yet.

It would be great if anyone has any ideas on removing the intake or could help with the wiring.
Thanks in advance, Cody.

Heres a before and after pic.

36x12.5 Goodyear MTRs on two piece off brand steelies, 3in body lift, lots of suspension. I forgot how much exactly.

4in below stock 4x4 height, 15x9 American Racing aluminum racing wheels, 255/60 Road Huggers, new limo tint, and now the lower valance is back on and the mud flaps are removed.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GLT-4-6
Since the last time I posted anything about it I have lowered it a total of 12in, 4in lower than stock, replaced all of the clutch system since is was crap, got new one piece aluminum American Racing 15x9 wheels and some Road Hugger 255/60 tires. I also finshed most of my 4Runner interior swap. All I need now is the shifter surround and boot for a standard 4Runner. I have an automatic lol.
Everything is going pretty smooth so far other then the typical 21 year old truck temper fits it has. The horn honks at random which is actually kind of funny and the ground wire on the air conditioner compressor unplugs its self. My biggest hang ups at the moment are with my attempt at an EFI conversion. I have a 89 4Runner as a donor vehicle so I know I have all the parts. I have already gone through all of the threads on the search option and I still don't really understand the whole wiring part of it. Also the lower intake manifold is stuck to the head. I have tried several things and nothing has worked yet.
It would be great if anyone has any ideas on removing the intake or could help with the wiring.
Thanks in advance, Cody.

As far as the lower intake being stuck, did you remove the long allen head bolt running through the base of the thermostat housing?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM

I honestly didn't know there was one. Its hidden under all the grease. I have a lot of cleaning to do. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, I have to say, I like it before you lowered it.....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x2.....
Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah im sorry but that doesnt look right... o and if your gonna lower it i think you shold probably take the mud flaps off!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm curious, and havta ask, why did you lower your 4x4?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM

I did take the mud flaps off after the picture and put the lower valance back on it.

I lowered it because I am building a drag truck out of it. Most people take a 2WD and either build their 4 cylinder or swap in something bigger, then spin their ass off. Any extra traction helps so I decided to try a 4WD drag truck. I realize that AWD and 4WD aren't the same and don't exactly work the same way but its worth trying. So far its shown positive results. On a completely stock motor and 31x10.5 A/Ts in 2WD I ran a 21.309 at 68mph. With it in 4WD I ran 20.64 at 69mph. I havn't ran it with the smaller tires and lower stance yet. Its kind of like the turbo deisel trucks but smaller and not as stupid looking. I'm working on an EFI swap right now and going for a 22RE cam and turbo setup first. If Its not enough for me I'll swap in a V8. Its all in time...

*edit* Btw I got the intake manifold off the head earlier. I feel like a dumbass for not seeing that before.

Last edited by GLT-4-6; 07-12-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 PM

more impressive to leave the truck as it was and make it run the 1/4 faster. IMO its not worth the trouble to take what your truck was made for away to run down a track.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM

would you sell me your old mud flaps if you're not going to need them?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for some ideas on the turbo 4, check www.22returbo.net and some of the links on the site... also lc engineering and I think DOA sells turbo kits and engines
instead of a v8, I'd prolly go with a 7mgte engine- www.supracharged.com <-- check the left side bar for some links to trucks and 4runners.

I get the idea of more traction, but lowering it?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 PM

I'm actually in the sport compact scene (have an acura integra I dumped close to 20k into) and as far as drag goes, what you're doing makes sense.

Lowering it is to lower your center of gravity so your front end doesn't raise off the ground as much. It also helps aerodynamically (not that it would help that much with a flying brick anyway).

I would also recommend the supra engines (5mgte or 7mgte) because they're very similar in construction to the 22RE and have a lot more power. You won't have to make many modifications to fit it in your truck compared to a V8 swap. There's also a large market for performance parts for them, way more than there is for the toy truck engines.

Your plan doesn't flow well with the site, but I encourage you to keep posting because I'm very interested and I'm sure other people would enjoy the read and information you post. While they might not want to make a drag truck, some things you do will in some way be applicable to off roading anyway.

Good luck,
-Nic
Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Be carefull running your truck in 4wd on the concrete. Not the best, the t-case is usually the weak link.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the input and the links guys. I can't find any place that really supports what I'm doing with it so I decided to post it here. It seems like a lot of helpfull people are on this site. I was looking into some stronger T-cases since I'm guessing the stock aluminum one won't last very long. Thats also where the idea of going V8 (Toyota's UZE) came from. I hadn't really considered the Supra engine swaps since I haven't found a way to keep the 4WD. I'll look into it more though. It may slow down a bit as I get into more expensive parts but I'll keep it updated as I go.

If you guys want any parts let me know. I have a lot of stock parts off the truck and my 4Runner. Just PM me if you want anything.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 PM

check the supracharged.com site, the links on the left, like I suggested. there are a few trucks with the 7mgte and 4wd.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 PM

with the difference from 4wd to 2wd on the strip only being 7/10th of a second, could it be the decision time of your foot? Maybe more trials are needed. I have to agree though, I like it before....
Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 PM

0.7 seconds could be reaction time, but with another hundred horsepower, 0.7 seconds better be traction

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-12-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i was going to be doing the same thing with a 1st gen 4runner that i almost had dumo the front diff and 2jz-gte her with a ford 9in and what not but yeha i really do like it before i say keep the racing to the little guys in there hondas and drive her the way you really wanna

but i guess its yours not mine so i say go for it!!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:14 PM

^^I'm a guy with a little honda

I just can't drive it cuz I'm in CA and the smog nazis have tried to take it away from me lol... I mean seriously... 300hp turbocharged is stock

I just need to get me a small trailer so I can take it to the autocrosses and drag strip...which means I can completely gut it and sell all the creature comforts for money to put into my 4Runner

And once that happens I can afford all the cool I want like a total chaos suspension kit... *sigh* having two projects going at the same time is not a good call. My wallet's bulimic because I told her to be: cough up yo' money, ho.

--- End random tangential statements ---
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
I'm actually in the sport compact scene (have an acura integra I dumped close to 20k into) and as far as drag goes, what you're doing makes sense.

Lowering it is to lower your center of gravity so your front end doesn't raise off the ground as much. It also helps aerodynamically (not that it would help that much with a flying brick anyway).

I would also recommend the supra engines (5mgte or 7mgte) because they're very similar in construction to the 22RE and have a lot more power. You won't have to make many modifications to fit it in your truck compared to a V8 swap. There's also a large market for performance parts for them, way more than there is for the toy truck engines.

Your plan doesn't flow well with the site, but I encourage you to keep posting because I'm very interested and I'm sure other people would enjoy the read and information you post. While they might not want to make a drag truck, some things you do will in some way be applicable to off roading anyway.

Good luck,
-Nic

Yes that is all obvious and makes sense, but the time, effort, and money to make this truck just go high 12's alone will not be worth this at all, and in the end still wont be fast. This is what doesnt make sense to me. Why not sas the truck, throw a 7m in there(no need for a custom oil pan with sas) and still be able to use the truck off road as well. Ive seen jeeps and massive diesels with 33" slicks on the back and their mudders up front cutting 12-14 second timeslips and lifting the front tires on launches.

Anyhow, to use a 7mgte and retain 4wd you will have to use a custom oil pan to clear the front diff. Supracharged.com has alot of good info on the site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: updates and hang ups: project drag