86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

up graded ball joints and tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up graded ball joints and tie rods?

hey all, I wanted to replace all my ball joints and tie rods when I do my lift so Im wondering if there are any aftermarket/stronger ball joints and or tie rods for these early ifs rigs? I know Moog makes them but I was thinking more off road specific
Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

I don't claim to be super knowledgable about these rigs, but from what I've observed about these IFS rigs, the key to success is:
1) Don't lift more than you need to clear the tires, you can fit 33x10.5 with minimal work and no lift. Lift = top heavy = rollover
2) If you do lift, keep it mild, 1.5" or less unless you're gonna use a diff drop in the front. Your ball joints and tie rods will thank you.
3) If you do lift, use a BJ spacer rather than cranking the torsions. Doing so will keep the front soft and flexible and give you more articulation.
4) OEM parts where possible. Toyota built these things to last, using the same parts it came with will help it keep going like its supposed to. In many cases, the parts are pretty affordable from a good online dealer like ToyotaPartsZone (I've got nothing but good things to say about them). My tie rod assemblies and ball joints were not much more than the premium line from the parts store, same for my spark plug wire set. Spark plug wire set came with all the OEM clips already installed so the wires stay tidy and out of the way of harm.

So in your case, I'd suggest going with OEM parts, unless you wanna go really crazy and do a uni-ball or whatever its called for your ball joints. Moog quality has gone downhill, unfortunately.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM

555 is what you want for aftermarket suspension. Rockauto often has them, as does Autozone. Just as good as OEM, and much better than Moog.

From what I've read, it seems that the idler arm is the only part that really wears out more rapidly due to offroading, and the Autozone part with SDORI bushings clears that right up. (Total Chaos idler arm if you are made of money, of course).
Old 02-22-2014, 02:30 PM

hmmm ok thanks for the input guys. yeah i plan on doing 1.5" ball joint spacers like i did on my 1st gen, with ome torsion bars but keep them relaxed a bit so it does "flex" somewhat well when i put a bumper on the front. I also plan on getting a brace for the idler. Ive been around these trucks a little bit so im not tooooo ignorant with them but I wasnt sure if anything came out while I was out of the game haha