Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Unhappy moment with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy moment with new motor

OK, so first of all I thought everything was ka-poot on the way home last night. It jusrt started sputtering and dying and after a second I pulled off, looked under and found a huge brown puddle.

I thought it was oil and I was ready to leave it on the side of the road if that were the case - However I checked the oil and atf and they were good, after a closer examination it was fuel!

never such a relief for a fuel leak.

So there I am on the side of the road - I figured out that it was the front left injector o-ring by looking in and seeing it spurting out. Ok, no biggie. Pulled the intake and went to pop a new o-ring on(that i just so happened to have in the back of the runner) I next got to looking and realized two things: 1) when i pulled the upper plenum i broke the gasket - DOH! and then I got to looking at my fuel rails and realized I made a mistake.

I put both of the spacers under the fuel rails and bolted them on. So here are my injectors about 1/2" out of the lille boot thing. I still cant believe that it even ran well. Anyways, I then realized that two of the spacers were broken in half when i put them back on the motor... So I had to call hubby and we towed it home - New parts will be here tomorrow and I can put it together right this time...

No, I am not blond, it had just been so long since i took it apart and I didnt think twice about putting both spacers under the rail. Looking back it is pretty obvious.

Just wanted to let you know that we are all human - Maybe this will make someone else feel better when they are having a rough mechanical day.

Kat
Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad it was something simple!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks, heres hopin you get her up and running soon
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM

yeah, gladd it wasnt catastropic.
same thing happened to our camry, the seals on the injectors tore so all the fuel went right passed them.

its a prety easy fix too!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have made the same mistake had it not been for my truck that i used like 10,000 times to refer to when i was putting mine back together because it had been like 6 months sence i pulled it out.....
Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Well parts will be here tomorrow, so we should be up and goin -- Just one of those things --

Kat
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM

just part of it,things like that happen sometimes.still have your vin,will ck it soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by justinking060310
OK, so first of all I thought everything was ka-poot on the way home last night. It jusrt started sputtering and dying and after a second I pulled off, looked under and found a huge brown puddle.

I thought it was oil and I was ready to leave it on the side of the road if that were the case - However I checked the oil and atf and they were good, after a closer examination it was fuel!

never such a relief for a fuel leak.

So there I am on the side of the road - I figured out that it was the front left injector o-ring by looking in and seeing it spurting out. Ok, no biggie. Pulled the intake and went to pop a new o-ring on(that i just so happened to have in the back of the runner) I next got to looking and realized two things: 1) when i pulled the upper plenum i broke the gasket - DOH! and then I got to looking at my fuel rails and realized I made a mistake.

I put both of the spacers under the fuel rails and bolted them on. So here are my injectors about 1/2" out of the lille boot thing. I still cant believe that it even ran well. Anyways, I then realized that two of the spacers were broken in half when i put them back on the motor... So I had to call hubby and we towed it home - New parts will be here tomorrow and I can put it together right this time...

No, I am not blond, it had just been so long since i took it apart and I didnt think twice about putting both spacers under the rail. Looking back it is pretty obvious.

Just wanted to let you know that we are all human - Maybe this will make someone else feel better when they are having a rough mechanical day.

Kat
my gf's dad did a similer thing and ended up blowing up his station wagon. no one was hurt but it goes to show that you need to be really carefull when it comes to the feul system
Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 AM

you did this all on the side of the road?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Smooth , glad it didn't flame out. It's always feel good when you think the worst only find something small and simple , then your cool enough to fix it......cheap.