Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ugh! Yet another drivetrain binding post. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! Yet another drivetrain binding post. please help!

This seems to have been covered a time or two on this forum but please bear with me.

The issue:
• In 4 low, I get about 10 feet and do not want to go any further (it will but seems like something will break or explode). I can only equate this to that if feels like I am increasing pressure on the brakes.

• The same in 4 hi but it takes about 20 feet

• It does it in a straight line

• It does it off road, in fact, I did not expect that and poped it in 4 low to climb over a steep burm, the ground was forest/rock/small logs. Got ot the top and felt the binding and before I got to the point where I could stop, there was a loud bang. I thought right at that moment that I blew up my trasfercase. Turns out that the t-case popped out of gear but I am sure it would not have done this if there was not another problem.

• In show and gravel, it feels VERY disconnected where before it seemed sure footed and more “stuck” to the surface.

• It does it only with the hubs engaged.

The Facts:

• Used to work fine and did NOT do this

• Its bone stock with no mods. 1987 extended cab 4x4 truck.

• There have been no changes or modifications except having the tranny rebuilt by a pro shop, and it worked fine afterward. No new tires, no mechanical issues related to the drive train etc…

• The tires are the same and all with with the correct pressure

• I’ve crawled under the truck (not on jacks) and looked at the drive train and manipulated the axils and drive shafts and found nothing obviously wrong
Opinion:
• Considering the symptoms, I can only come to the conclusion that the front tires are spinning different rpms than the back and unless some wack job with too much time on his hands came out late one night and swapped my gears, I am not sure how that is possible.

• So, I can only think there is something else afoot. So I’d like to start the troubleshooting right from the beginning and do it in order. I'm stumped and losing my hair for scratching it in contemplation
The request:

So guys, I am hoping I can get of list of possible causes of this problem (even including the obvious stuff) and maybe the opinions on how to best test the functionality and in what order it should be troubleshot.

Point is, I hope to fix this and since this comes up from time to time, maybe it would make a good tech guide.

Help!

Last edited by Luthman; 04-14-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 AM

oh yeah, the thing I am trying tonight is a tire swap encase the ones on there have uneven wear or a evil magic Smurf has shrunk one of them
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Have you tried lifting all four and seeing how everything looks?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

So if the hubs are unlocked everything is fine? Rules out the transfercase....

Assuming CV's are ok, pull the front differential.

++edit++ If you're running different rear and front ratios that IS a big issue... should go without saying though...

Last edited by allnmstkn313; 04-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe the spider gears in the front diff are having a problem?

Jack up the front of the truck (put it on stands), lock the hubs, put the tcase in 2H, and turn the front driveshaft by hand. Does everything spin easily? Do the two front wheels turn the same speed?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
Maybe the spider gears in the front diff are having a problem?

Jack up the front of the truck (put it on stands), lock the hubs, put the tcase in 2H, and turn the front driveshaft by hand. Does everything spin easily? Do the two front wheels turn the same speed?
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, almost sounds like a diff malfunction of some kind.