86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turning Point

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning Point

I can't decide where to go with my rig. I bought my 87 4runner to be a grocer getter/home depot errand runner. However, I wanted something that was still fairly capable offroad. When I'm home, I wheel it at Hollister about every other weekend. I haven't been home in a while, but that's another story.
The more I wheel the more I want something more capable offroad. The 4runner is fine, but even with 33", 4.88, and the ARB in the rear I still get stuck more then I would like.

I would love to do the SAS, however I'm concerned with the street ability aspect. In reality most of the trucks life is on the street. I also know that next year I'm going to be moving and I need to drive the truck across country probably towing my car. I've driven several SASed rigs and I'm fairly sure I would not be comfortable towing across country in one. Is there any way to address this. Has anyone fitted a sway bar to a solid axle to give it better road manners? Would it work?

The other option seems to be an Aussie in front, manual hubs, and maybe a dual transfer case. Is it worth the money or should I just be happy with what I have until I settle down and build a full out not sacrifices rig?

I have a few months to decide. I'm oversea serving the gov right now but I'm starting to look for parts so I can tear into it when I get home.

I know this kind of thing comes up alot, I've read alot of post on it and am still in search of inspiration. Thanks