86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?

Hello all. I'm new here and have found myself in quite the conundrum. I've always wanted a 1st get 4runner (1987) and I finally found one. It has 140,000 miles on it, has no rust whatsoever, is in immaculate condition and it's a turbo model which I've heard is rare. The turbo has gone out on it and it may need a new head gasket/other stuff repaired or replaced. I've done some research and found that the turbo alone is $2500 not including labor. The guy was asking $5900 for it and I talked him down to $4000. But having never owned one of these, I'm hesitant to buy not knowing much about them. But...let's be honest, they're pretty dang awesome and I don't mind putting some money into but I don't want to buy a major money pit. At the moment, I've got possession of the 4runner and I have it at a mechanic. For those of you that know this car, are there specifics I should ask the mechanic about? Anything specific with the turbo engine in general? Thoughts on whether or not $4000 is a fair deal for the vehicle? Many many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?-img_6485.jpg   Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?-img_6484.jpg   Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?-img_6482.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, if you dont buy it i will, where is it located?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hard to tell the condition from the pictures.

You can upgrade the turbo with a junkyard part from another car for less money and better performance.

If i needs a head gasket too, that's gonna cost if you can't do it yourself.

Depends on how much you can/want to spend, how much you can do yourself and how much the truck needs.

That being said, a runner like that, in good condition, is worth quite a bit.

More info.

Last edited by donomite49; 01-12-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
This one is tricky and is really up to you.
If this rig were in excellent running condition too, it would definitely be worth the full asking price or more depending where it's sold. Even at $4k this is a very clean looking rig - say you invested $3k toward getting it fully operational, you've got a $7k rig that is CLEAN, 140k on chassis, but basically new engine - probably go 10 years with just oil changes. I doubt you'll find another turbo 4runner as clean for $7k.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Body looks nice what does the frame and floor look like.

I would not spend a dime on that engine they are not that great .

Why they only made them a few years

I pulled a running one to do a 3.4 swap.

It comes down to just what you want .

The amount of your own work you can do Fixing these trucks gets real expensive if you need to pay shop rate labor.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Thanks everyone. I spoke with my mechanic today. Apparently, the head gasket has already been replaced. The 4runner is smoking, mostly because of the turbo. If that's the only thing that needs rebuilding, I don't mind putting money into it. I currently drive a 2005 Honda Element with 164,000 miles and I've had to do a number of repairs lately. I can't afford a new car so I want one that I can get inexpensive, put some money into it and either sell it for what I put into it to finance a new car a few years from now, or buy a new car and still keep this one for family adventures. I feel like putting money into my Honda at this point is only to maintain it and I won't see a dime back.

As far as the cosmetic condition goes, it is AWESOME. No rust on the wheel wells, a couple of interior cracks here and there but in all honesty, it looks like it sat for years indoors somewhere. Cloth upholstery is great, power windows work, all new front suspension work done, and....well...it just looks really awesome. I think I'll probably end up buying it, barring any unforeseen high numbers on repairing/rebuilding the turbo. And if I don't, I'll tell the gentleman that asked where it's located
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't know where your at, but price seems a bit high to me. But honestly not surprised. If you nor your mechanic can drive it first you may have other issues. I'm a big fan of the 22R series real workhorses and reliable but relatively under powered when compared to competition of the time, but you see far less of the competition of same year around today. The turbo made up for that underpowered thing. Paying someone else to wrench for you is always spendy. But wrenching on a DD is flustrating at times, but therapeutic. Really this is worth what you're willing to pay. Personally I love the 1st gen 4rnr (well obviously) but hate that it only came in auto with a turbo. Just my $0.02
Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 PM

Red face

Sad fact is lots of the intake hoses are obsolete which means some fabrication .

A new radiator has to have the nipple installed for the coolant return line.

Lets hope the head gasket was done correct.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is if something you want to own for 5-10+ years?

Do you really like the model of vehicle? Like, really like it?

If so, then get it if it's a complete vehicle. It is rare.

Anyone buying an old 4Runner should just go ahead and include an engine rebuild as part of the program. Do it right, and get your 100k+ miles out of it. It's not a beater, that thing is clean. Just find a good Toyo tech, source the right parts, and get it done.

Will you dump more money into it? Hello yes. It's a 30 year old truck. As you drive it, things will expire. That has nothing to do with it being turbo. It's about bringing the vehicle from a past life into its new one, with YOU. Remember to contrast how much you'll spend on maintaining this truck, still won't approach the cost of a new vehicle.

BUT if you don't have a passion for the vehicle, don't bother. Buy what you WANT to drive. It should make you laugh like a kid again. For me, that WAS a 4Runner.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-12-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think I seen that one in the Bentonville area. Looks nice from the pictures. If it had the 5 speed, I am sure I know of someone who would of already had it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-13-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Looks like you got some good advice already so I just want to say I LOVE that instrument panel! It's so dorky looking but damn, I love it.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, the instrument panel is so dorky, but I do love it. And as for the rest of the vehicle, other than the turbo fixes, some exhaust work and a few interior replacement things, it's a real beauty. I took it on a drive today and and it was fun. I got it on the highway, got it up to 70 and then, cruised around town. Tested the 4x4 and it all works. Checked the oil cap and dipstick after the drive and everything was clear. A friend of mine who knows Toyotas is going to help me with minor fixes and as for the turbo, the replacement will be expensive but I found a good mechanic who can install it "off the clock" for $300 at his house. All in all, I'd say I'm getting a pretty decent deal at $4000 with such a clean vehicle and low miles. I'm one of the few who doesn't mind an auto transmission because my wife doesn't know how to drive 5speed. Anyone else have any advice or anything to add, please let me know. And thanks to everyone that commented and gave their 2 cents. Believe me, it was worth a lot more than that

Cheers.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Red face

I am a little confused !!!

If the Turbo is out ?? As in bad bearings or cracked housing !!

Just how could you even start the engine let alone take it for a road trip ??

Either your a little unsure of some of the terms or your being scammed about something ..

The Danger Will Robinson alarms are going off!!!!

I would install your Turbo For Breakfast and Pizza for lunch !!!

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-13-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Stay with OEM parts, you can get them elsewhere besides the dealer. In my build links below on the first page, I try to show several fixes that can be done easily in most cases. Here in the midwest, the cowl get a lot of debris in them that I like to clean out.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM

It's probably that I'm unsure of the terms. I think the guy that is selling it tried to replace the turbo with another one because his mechanic told him it was bad and that's what he told me. The turbo replacement he bought wasn't correct so at that point, he gave up and put it up for sale. I ran a car fax on it this AM and it came back clean. Was bought new in Utah in 88 and then, moved here about 10 years ago. It's changed hands every year since 2013 and I assumed that people bought it but then, didn't want to replace the turbo then and opted to sell it instead of putting money into it.

As for the specifics of the turbo, I'm completely unsure of the mechanics of it. All I know is that it provides a little more power to the engine. I assumed that if it was out, it just wasn't getting that additional power. If you know more specifics, let me know. According to the owner, it started smoking a day before I showed up to look at it. He told me it probably had to do with the turbo. My friend told me it could be oil related as he didn't know much about the turbo. I had it towed from his house to a reliable mechanic I know that looked over it and told me that the turbo had some issues and it needed some exhaust work. Other than that, it was a clean car. I drove it from the mechanic to my office and then, around town and tested the highway today and no smoke whatsoever.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I think there is an aftermarket improvement on the turbo that is better then the factory but am unsure about the turbo part. I am in southwest Missouri and do know a guy that knows them well. He has a handful of turbo parts. He post on the Joplin craigslist from time to time about having parts. I think he even has an automatic transmission for a turbo truck if I recall right.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM

That's awesome! I would definitely be interested in having his information. And I'll try to return the favor by telling you about the Toyota graveyard/junkyard in Berryville Arkansas that my friend knows about. He has 80's pickup truck and an 80's Sunraider RV and I know he's gone out there to collect parts for engines and interior stuff. This may not be new information for you but if you want contact info, I'll be happy to get it for you.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

He has a ton of parts. Also a salvage in Nixa, just outside of Springfield that has several Toyotas, one out there is a turbo. I would be interested in the Berryville salvage.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an observation but in that picture of the tailgate it seems obvious to me that (at least that panel) was repainted. ....and not too well I might add. Could be nothing but it would raise some questions if it were me.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Dude I hope you buy it cause it looks to be in killer shape!!!

Fix that turbo and do a 5 speed swap! Would be a whole new vehicle with a manual

Quick Reply: Turbo Model...To Buy or Not To Buy?