Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

trying again for replies: shaking truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying again for replies: shaking truck!!

hello again..

I have a 95 4runner sr5 4x4 auto with 200k. At 1500 and 2500rpm, the truck shakes like a paintmixer. (JUST AT THOSE TWO RPM AREAS) NO CODES... This happens in all gears, park, nuetral, on and off load.... So....when driving down the road at before mentioned RPM's the truck shakes almost to the point I want to pull over and stop........ A mechanic told me that a cracked head can cause that shake b/c truck is "missing".. TRUE or FALSE?? WHats wierd is that it only does it at those two rpm zones... I have changed and tried so many fixes with no resolution... Has anyone had this symptom before>? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
thank you in advance for all who contribute!!
Old 06-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by yota4life6
hello again..

I have a 95 4runner sr5 4x4 auto with 200k. At 1500 and 2500rpm, the truck shakes like a paintmixer. (JUST AT THOSE TWO RPM AREAS) NO CODES... This happens in all gears, park, nuetral, on and off load.... So....when driving down the road at before mentioned RPM's the truck shakes almost to the point I want to pull over and stop........ A mechanic told me that a cracked head can cause that shake b/c truck is "missing".. TRUE or FALSE?? WHats wierd is that it only does it at those two rpm zones... I have changed and tried so many fixes with no resolution... Has anyone had this symptom before>? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
thank you in advance for all who contribute!!
ok if i where you, i would first do a compression test....this will tell you if you have a cylinder or valve issue. then i would check for spark on all 6 cylinders, or 4 you didnt mention how many. then if all thats fine, check the injectors.
start with the compression check and then let us know the numbers, so we can kinda point you in the right direction...
Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x2 on the comp test and does it seam like a miss or is it just shaking? maybe if you can get a video of this so we all can "see" whats going on?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how are the motor mounts?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

thank you to all above!!! comp test checked out, valve cover gaskets installed...
It feels like a miss that ends up causing a shake.. I did fail to mention that it also does it at idle.. real rough idle...
Anyone heard of a PCV valve doing this? Mine seems to be making some serious noise when I accelerate.. DOnt know if thats related or not... I also have these power surges or minor jolts when cruising at one speed. Just tryint to go through it and make it as smooth as possible..
HOw would I properly check motor mounts?

thanks again, please reply when you get time.
Neal
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM

thank you to all above!!! comp test checked out, valve cover gaskets installed...
It feels like a miss that ends up causing a shake.. I did fail to mention that it also does it at idle.. real rough idle...
Anyone heard of a PCV valve doing this? Mine seems to be making some serious noise when I accelerate.. DOnt know if thats related or not... I also have these power surges or minor jolts when cruising at one speed. Just tryint to go through it and make it as smooth as possible..
HOw would I properly check motor mounts?

thanks again, please reply when you get time.
Neal
when was your last tune up?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-tune-up
-tps calibrated right?
-afm ok?
-fuel filter not cloged
-air filter clean?
-engine grounded good?
-plugs gaped right?
-plug wires not on the exhaust?
-coolant sencer good?

wait what motor we trying to fix here? 22re or 3.slow?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe a vacuum leak...you say minor surges when HOLDING speed? that would sound like an intake manifold vacuum leak to me....just my $.02
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Injectors? I dont really know
Old 06-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

check your coil. maybe your fuel filter. check your distributor.

Last edited by TORTIS; 06-06-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
i hate the whole trying to throw parts at it
what engine are you running !??!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:15 AM

make sure your spark plug wires are in good condition, that none of them are laying on any metal pieces of the engine and that the wires are separated from one another by at least 1/4".
check all of the grounds- battery, engine, etc.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:57 PM

thanks to everyone who chimed in! Plugs and wires look good..
Its a 95 3.0 3vz auto with 225k.
I am replacing fuel filter, dist., and pvc today, we shall see what happens..
Any advice or tricks on the repairs scheduled for today?
thanks again, this site kicks A**
Neal
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 PM

thanks to everyone who chimed in! Plugs and wires look good..
Its a 95 3.0 3vz auto with 225k.
I am replacing fuel filter, dist., and pvc today, we shall see what happens..
Any advice or tricks on the repairs scheduled for today?
thanks again, this site kicks A**
Neal
thats about an hour of work, should be simple, no real tricks there. hope thaty cures it.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:39 PM

I have a 94' 22RE , 195k, that seems to be doing about the same thing as you, yota4life6. Mine seems to dump fuel causing the motor to load up and caugh black smoke. It does it repeatedly when the operating temperature is about half way up to normal, once at normal operating temperature it will act up whenever it feels like for however long it feels like. Leads me to be something electrical. Never has the check engine light came on. Engine will idle rough and have next to no power till about 4000 rpm. Only way to get up that high is to pump the gas pedal. weather seems to play no role on this. some days it is perfectly fine others it is just a pain. City driving seems to make it act up more than open road. Unplugging air flow sensor seems to cause same symptoms only engine dies, however sensor test out good as specs in my Haynes Manual. EGR valve has been taken off and cleaned. It is free in working order

complete tune up about 8000 miles ago, timing chain service w/ water and oil pump about 7000 miles ago, Has been doing this for about 4000 miles, just changed the fuel filter.

Best lead I have now is a bad injector. I am having a hard time believing that being that all 4 plugs are black and covered with carbon, unless it's the cold start injector.

Any help appreciated, about fed up to the point of trading it off.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:01 PM

UPDATE ON REPAIRS..
newbie mechanic here.....hello again
PVC valve and dist./rotor changed today ... went back over the truck and all seems in order... It def. made a difference, the studder and miss are still there but the pep is back, feels "clean". with 225k I know it wont be perfect. Tomorrow morning is the fuel filter, heard some horror stories on the location and the things in the way, but looked at it today and seems doable. Also have read some great success stories on the fuel filter change, s hoping tomorrow I kill the miss. Would this still be causing the vehicle to shake doing down the highway? Am I overlooking tires as the problem?
THANKS for all the advice to ALL above, this site really helps.

Any suggestions on the fuel filter change?

Can anyone rule out a small crack in the head as to the miss and shakes I have on my runner? It would be nice to know I am making headway and have a solid motor to build on.

TO DRRANCH- I am still learning so not much help really, sorry. I def dont have the black smoke and lack of response you describe. Can anyone chime in on this one? Good luck drranch

THANKS AGAIN
Neal
Old 06-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by drranch
I have a 94' 22RE , 195k, that seems to be doing about the same thing as you, yota4life6. Mine seems to dump fuel causing the motor to load up and caugh black smoke. It does it repeatedly when the operating temperature is about half way up to normal, once at normal operating temperature it will act up whenever it feels like for however long it feels like. Leads me to be something electrical. Never has the check engine light came on. Engine will idle rough and have next to no power till about 4000 rpm. Only way to get up that high is to pump the gas pedal. weather seems to play no role on this. some days it is perfectly fine others it is just a pain. City driving seems to make it act up more than open road. Unplugging air flow sensor seems to cause same symptoms only engine dies, however sensor test out good as specs in my Haynes Manual. EGR valve has been taken off and cleaned. It is free in working order

complete tune up about 8000 miles ago, timing chain service w/ water and oil pump about 7000 miles ago, Has been doing this for about 4000 miles, just changed the fuel filter.

Best lead I have now is a bad injector. I am having a hard time believing that being that all 4 plugs are black and covered with carbon, unless it's the cold start injector.

Any help appreciated, about fed up to the point of trading it off.
i really dont know your motor, but if it where older i would say vacuum advance on the timing. you might wanna check the 4 banger guys on this one. start a thread, someone will hook you right up.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 AM

yota4life6- have you checked for any trouble codes?
-edit: duh, you said that in the first post.

try this- in neutral hold the engine at the rpm where it's shaking for 15-20 seconds and see if the CEL comes on.

Last edited by abecedarian; 06-07-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
yota4life6- have you checked for any trouble codes?
-edit: duh, you said that in the first post.

try this- in neutral hold the engine at the rpm where it's shaking for 15-20 seconds and see if the CEL comes on.
x2, this actually works
Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM

whats up.....yota4life6 back with more q and a...more q than a though.....lol. So the fuel filter, dist/rotor are all on.....WOW, what a great place to put that filter, aaarrggggg.. It took me two hours...but finished the job. All in all, the truck is doing better, but never consistant at all.. very tempermental.
I did have a few more questions I would like to throw at you guys if ya didnt mind. BTW, I did try the nuetral for 15-20 secs but no CEL came on.

1. How do I check the u joints? Is it a visual check or hands on?
2. How do I check motor mounts? Visual?
3. Any other air/fuel items I might check or replace? Would 02 sensor cause this "miss" and vibration?

4. Kinda a wierd one but, let me try: I have the K & N air filter wish can act as a mega phone as far as internal engine noise... When the truck is running, it kinda sounds like a bag of aluminum cans shaking around making noise. The engine SOUNDS great aside from that...anyone chime in on this one? WHen I put my ear up to it, its very loud in there! lol..

THANK YOU again for all the help!!!!!!!!
neal

Quick Reply: trying again for replies: shaking truck!!