Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Try Amsoil!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Amsoil!

I've only run Mobil 1 10w30 Synthetic for the duration I have owned the truck (I've owned it for about 60,000 km's - with the exception of one oil change). The previous owner switched the engine to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic at about 225,000 km's (140,000 miles) and when I got it I switched to the 10w30. I started doing some more reading online and at about 300,000 km's (187,500 miles) I decided to try some Amsoil 10w30. I noticed a minor difference in how the truck run just from switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil which was surprising because these 2 are often regarded as the tops for synthetic oils, but I just attributed it to that fresh oil change feeling you get when you first start the truck and drive it around. But I then went back to Mobil 1 10w30 at 306,000 km's (191,250 miles) just because it was harder to find Amsoil locally and Amsoil doesn't sell the big bulk jugs which really is what makes Mobil 1 much cheaper, at least at the local stores. But after doing some more reading I decided to become an Amsoil preferred customer and I picked up a bunch of their bulk lubes, oils, etc. I bought a few jugs of Amsoil 10w30 oil and after shipping it worked out to significantly cheaper per quart than what I would pay for Mobil 1 at the local store. I also bought a few additives type things I figured I'd try, one of which was their Amsoil engine crankcase cleaner.

So a few weekends ago I ran the crankcase cleaner in with my old oil for about 15 minutes worth of idling (can says idle the solvent with your old oil for 15-20 minutes but do not drive with it and then change the oil & filter).

After using this cleaner and changing back to Amsoil I have to say the truck absolutely runs like a champ. It feels like I picked up some decent throttle response and 2 or 3 HP in all honesty. This is not just a placebo, and it is more than the fresh oil versus old oil response you get out of your truck after an oil change. The truck runs significantly better, and significantly quieter too. It's not as "ticky" or as loud as it was with the Mobil one and . If you look at the viscosity readings, the Mobil one is on the thinner side of the 10w30 visoscity rating where as the Amsoil is more in the middle (Mobil one apparently has said they do this to help fuel mileage). Also, for those of you who have dealth with rebuilt engines - you know when you rebuild an engine and you look at the dip stick and you can hardly see the oil on it it's so clean? Well the dip stick is almost that clean - the varnish I had on there from before is gone. In fact it probably is that clean but Amsoil oil is just a tad darker than other oils new.

I am not a dealer nor do I reap any personal benefit or gain for posting this. Just an honest opinion and I encourage you to try what I feel is not just marketing hype - but probably the best synthetic oil available. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Amsoil is the only oil manufacturer that backs up their oils with a warranty.

This is the Oil I am running: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx
The Amsoil crankcase cleaner: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 AM

Amsoil & Royal Purple are at the top of the synthetic food chain & Redline has some following. Mobil-1 is at the top of most peoples list because of it's performance, but also it's availability & price. It's nearly as good as the fully "from scratch" synthetic & is for sale everywhere.

The base oils these are made out of is the main difference; you can find info about that around the net at places like bobistheoilguy & others. If my rig didn't have a leak on the passenger side cam cover gasket I'd probably be using Royal Purple.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run amsoil in all of my stuff. My freind turned me on to it. They run it in all of their stuff. They had it in a welder, and lost their coolant, out in the middle of BFE, ran it another 15 minutes to finish up the job. When they got it back to the yard and tore it apart, it had no problems.

When I run the crankcase cleaner, I change the filter before I start, just to try and catch anything. It's amazing what comes out the drain hole when you drain it. The reason you don't want to drive with it in is becauseit thins everythin way out, so you don't get goo lubrication on the valvetrain.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM

How well do Amsoil's products hold up in high mileage engines and drivetrains? My 4runner only has 98,000 miles, but thats considered high mileage. Would my engine burn off more oil if I switched from conventional to synthetic? Currently it only uses 1/2 a quart of Castrol 10W-30 high mileage every 3000 miles, but I've been told that if one uses synthetic oil in a high-mileage engine, it will burn it off quicker. Is this true? Also, does Amsoil make synthetic versions of Dexron ATF and standard 75W-90 gear oil?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM

synthetic won't burn off faster & high mileage engines benefit from synthetics probably more than new engines do. I have found that synthetics will leak more if your seals suck because they naturally leach deeper into places regular oils won't. It won't actually CAUSE a leak but it'll seem worse if you already have one.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
After breaking in my engine (22re) on regular dino oil I put in 10W40 Amsoil and am still on my first change, which has about 7000 miles on it. The oil only started looking dark after 5000 miles, and I drive my 22re pretty hard, hitting 5k rpms often.

Given the oil change intervals Amsoil can save you like 50% over conventional oil too...
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

I run Amsoil on my 340,000km engine and love it, definatley burns off faster, but no big deal. I have a local dealer here, but would love to find it cheaper/bigger jugs. CoedNaked, did you order yours through a Canadian distributer? or just the Amsoil store?...Thanx
Old 03-19-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I've only run Mobil 1 10w30 Synthetic for the duration I have owned the truck (I've owned it for about 60,000 km's - with the exception of one oil change). The previous owner switched the engine to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic at about 225,000 km's (140,000 miles) and when I got it I switched to the 10w30. I started doing some more reading online and at about 300,000 km's (187,500 miles) I decided to try some Amsoil 10w30. I noticed a minor difference in how the truck run just from switching from Mobil 1 to Amsoil which was surprising because these 2 are often regarded as the tops for synthetic oils, but I just attributed it to that fresh oil change feeling you get when you first start the truck and drive it around. But I then went back to Mobil 1 10w30 at 306,000 km's (191,250 miles) just because it was harder to find Amsoil locally and Amsoil doesn't sell the big bulk jugs which really is what makes Mobil 1 much cheaper, at least at the local stores. But after doing some more reading I decided to become an Amsoil preferred customer and I picked up a bunch of their bulk lubes, oils, etc. I bought a few jugs of Amsoil 10w30 oil and after shipping it worked out to significantly cheaper per quart than what I would pay for Mobil 1 at the local store. I also bought a few additives type things I figured I'd try, one of which was their Amsoil engine crankcase cleaner.

So a few weekends ago I ran the crankcase cleaner in with my old oil for about 15 minutes worth of idling (can says idle the solvent with your old oil for 15-20 minutes but do not drive with it and then change the oil & filter).

After using this cleaner and changing back to Amsoil I have to say the truck absolutely runs like a champ. It feels like I picked up some decent throttle response and 2 or 3 HP in all honesty. This is not just a placebo, and it is more than the fresh oil versus old oil response you get out of your truck after an oil change. The truck runs significantly better, and significantly quieter too. It's not as "ticky" or as loud as it was with the Mobil one and . If you look at the viscosity readings, the Mobil one is on the thinner side of the 10w30 visoscity rating where as the Amsoil is more in the middle (Mobil one apparently has said they do this to help fuel mileage). Also, for those of you who have dealth with rebuilt engines - you know when you rebuild an engine and you look at the dip stick and you can hardly see the oil on it it's so clean? Well the dip stick is almost that clean - the varnish I had on there from before is gone. In fact it probably is that clean but Amsoil oil is just a tad darker than other oils new.

I am not a dealer nor do I reap any personal benefit or gain for posting this. Just an honest opinion and I encourage you to try what I feel is not just marketing hype - but probably the best synthetic oil available. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Amsoil is the only oil manufacturer that backs up their oils with a warranty.

This is the Oil I am running: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx
The Amsoil crankcase cleaner: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx
I believe you that it's not placebo. I've experienced it myself.

Originally, when I first bought my '86, I ran Amsoil. But, I can't say I noticed a whole lot of benefit or detriment because I had no other experience to compare to. After a bit, I switched to M1 for the same reasons as you. I noticed my engine wasn't nearly has happy....especially on start up....and even more so in the cold. It just seemed more sluggish and ran a tad rougher. I wasn't convinced that it was because of the oil at the time because of the changing weather (from summer to autumn), but when I switched to another brand at the next oil change (in Dec. and because of blow by and a leak), I noticed my motor seemed peppier and less sluggish on start up.

A bit later, next change, I decided to switch oil weight ( just to see what added difference that made), and I didn't notice any more difference. So, I believe the difference was in the brand, although I can't explain the actual reasons.

The Amsoil just "felt" much better in the motor. I'm seriously considering switching back to it down the road once my rebuild has settled in.

Last edited by thook; 03-19-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
After breaking in my engine (22re) on regular dino oil I put in 10W40 Amsoil and am still on my first change, which has about 7000 miles on it. The oil only started looking dark after 5000 miles, and I drive my 22re pretty hard, hitting 5k rpms often.

Given the oil change intervals Amsoil can save you like 50% over conventional oil too...
Run a remote Frantz oil filter (or whatever brand of your choice and economic ability) and it could stay cleaner even longer.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I bought a few jugs of Amsoil 10w30 oil and after shipping it worked out to significantly cheaper per quart than what I would pay for Mobil 1 at the local store.
Would you mind disclosing the cost per quart with shipping included that you paid under the preferred customer plan? I just want to see if the cost savings are worth the effort for me personally.

I currently buy a 5qt jug of mobil 1 syn at walmart for ~$23.00. Which works out to $4.60/qt.
According to the Amsoil regular pricing catalog the price per quart ranges from $7.70/qt for a 1qt bottle to $7.00/qt for two 2.5gal bottles.

I would hope to see the price per quart to be around $5.50 - $6.00 range or better.

thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Run a remote Frantz oil filter (or whatever brand of your choice and economic ability) and it could stay cleaner even longer.
*temporary hijack warning* A remote filter set up is something I've been mulling over myself....mostly because the 3.0 filter is in such a hard to reach spot & I spill dirty oil every time I change it. Any recommended kits?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=8
Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Does Amsoil sell a version of Dexron ATF? I couldn't find any made by them
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM

WOW...I need one of those.....GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, I might have to change over to Synthetic oil My engine only has 120k on it too.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After doing an engine scrub http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=7, and installing the oil bypass kit, I could really tell the difference with my http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 PM

Amsoil in my opinion is the best there is. My whole family uses it and we all change our oil once a year. We had a old Honda (85/86) that went to 330k miles using amsoil and we finally got rid of it due to a bad ignition switch...it was a pretty cool car...lol. Amsoil products are very good...and I definitely recommend them. My brothers has an oil bypass kit on his Honda...not sure if it works because he only drives like 5 miles a day...but his car is almost up to 200k...and still runs great (this is an 86 Accord)
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by guapo187
Would you mind disclosing the cost per quart with shipping included that you paid under the preferred customer plan? I just want to see if the cost savings are worth the effort for me personally.

I currently buy a 5qt jug of mobil 1 syn at walmart for ~$23.00. Which works out to $4.60/qt.
According to the Amsoil regular pricing catalog the price per quart ranges from $7.70/qt for a 1qt bottle to $7.00/qt for two 2.5gal bottles.

I would hope to see the price per quart to be around $5.50 - $6.00 range or better.

thanks!
Before I respond to your question directly let me just point out that in Canada there are lots of places where we are still getting hosed on old exchange rate prices when our dollar is now on par or better than the American dollar so keep that in mind. For example while you're paying $23 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart, I'm paying $36-38 for 5 quarts at Walmart. Big difference. Canadian Tire which is a big sort of auto oriented department chain up here which has reasoanble - not good, not bad, but reasonable prices on oils, sells it for a buck or two more for Mobil 1 jugs compared to WAlmart, and they sell individual quarts of Amsoil for $10 each plus tax. I pay about $7.10 per quart plus tax plus shipping to have it shipped from Edmonton to here. If I buy it in the bulk jugs I play slightly less than $7 per quart. Quite honestly I'd have to calculate the shipping but let me just say it's honestly peanuts - it works out to about 35 cents per pound, and a quart is around 2 pounds so it's about $7.80 a quart which is still $2 cheaper per quart than if I bought it locally, and it's even less since I buy it in the bulk jugs - maybe $7.50 a quart. But again keep in mind this is the Canadian discrepency too.

The shipping is shipped DHL from Edmonton to my home and it comes within 5 days.

I originally was browsing one of the dealers Amsoil websites and I sent the guy an email. He was a dealer in Ontario who asked if I wanted him to mail me some literature so I said fine and gave him my address. He mailed me a few catalogues, brochures, etc. and so I did my first order through him and he set up my account and all that. My second order I just went to the Amsoil website, orderd up some stuff and it was at my house within 5 days.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman90
How well do Amsoil's products hold up in high mileage engines and drivetrains? My 4runner only has 98,000 miles, but thats considered high mileage. Would my engine burn off more oil if I switched from conventional to synthetic? Currently it only uses 1/2 a quart of Castrol 10W-30 high mileage every 3000 miles, but I've been told that if one uses synthetic oil in a high-mileage engine, it will burn it off quicker. Is this true? Also, does Amsoil make synthetic versions of Dexron ATF and standard 75W-90 gear oil?

Amsoil claims according to tests that they have publishsed that their 10w30 synthetic oil which I linked to is the best in the tests for resisting burn off.

Amsoil makes Universail ATF that I believe is compatable with your 4runners transmission ( look into the specifics but I'm pretty sure it is - I've read some good reports on line from those who have switched to it) and I run their long life 75w90 gear lube in my diffs & transfer case currently and their Manual Transmission and Tranxaxle lube in my transmission. Next time I switch them I'm gonna put the Severe gear GL5 75w90 into my front and rear diffs, and the GL4 75w90 Manual Transmissin and Transaxle Lube in my manual tranny and transfer case
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by guapo187

thanks!
I'm in the same boat here. My engine is probably worth more than the entire 4Runner, so I need to keep it happy. I ran normal oil in it until I broke the 10K mile mark and then switched to synthetic. I was running Amsoil for a while but have switched to Mobil1 due to the price difference. I would much rather run the Amsoil if I can get it for anywhere near the same price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Try Amsoil!