Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Are truetrac LSD's worth a S%*$?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are truetrac LSD's worth a S%*$?

Sort of second guessing my recent venture for the 4runner!
I did 5:29 gears, master install kits and true tracs front and rear, after browsing other sites it seems they arent good for off-road at all.
Heres the use!
Snow (deep), mud off camber trails some hills and rocks (not gnarly off camber huge rocks stuff) just point and shoot. Ive gone plenty of scary places with open diffs so I figured Id be right on tje right course with LSD's front and rear and If I tilt diagonally its usually for a split moment and I can ebrake or brake while going through it. The 4runners an auto so braking is easy its also the reason for the 5:29 gears so I can run 33's or 35's! Not too mention its IFS so its articulations is limited anywase so hardcore crawling isnt much of a issue.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, why don't you go try them out, if you already have them.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Well, why don't you go try them out, if you already have them.
I went mudding today and hill climbing (in mud )! Worked flawless for that application.
Just trying to understand the negative view peeps have towards them. I assume its from people expecting them to lock up like a locker or the breaking trick to be easy and when its not they get a bad wrap. Or it could be they cost more than alot of lockers and dont lock 100% so its a bad value!
Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 PM

i run a ls in front and detroit in rear and that combo for me works great in ice snow mud rocks whatever
Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

i have a clutch style ls in the rear and a tru trac up front and i am more than happy with my purchase (I did get a killer deal on them used). But I am still trying to find a scenario where they won't get me trhough.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bullcrew
I went mudding today and hill climbing (in mud )! Worked flawless for that application.
Just trying to understand the negative view peeps have towards them. I assume its from people expecting them to lock up like a locker or the breaking trick to be easy and when its not they get a bad wrap. Or it could be they cost more than alot of lockers and dont lock 100% so its a bad value!
Pretty much. They are worthless when you have a tire off the ground, when you need it most, and work great when you would rather not have them (off camber low traction situations).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2nDDvKHoA

Not worth the price for not being 100% locked IMO

We don't have snow or ice down here, so I don't know how lockers act in those conditions.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Truetrac up front is a total waste of money. I'd get rid of it if you can. I could buy it off you, only cause I'm a nice guy though.

I heard lots of negatives view of auto lockers (when I was buying), and I didn't find most of them to be true. I found the most of the faults to be exaggerated, more often than not, by people who never owned one. What I'm getting around to saying, is go have fun and you probably will be pleasantly surprised with the performance.

For mud and deep snow, many users are really pleased with the Truetrac. They will also allow you to run in 4wd on slick roads which is nice. No, they were never cut out for rockcrawling, but you knew that. If you deem your set up to be too tame, then buying a rear lunchbox locker. You'll brake even if you sell the truetrac and buy the locker and an open carrier cheap from a used 4.10 diff ($50 tops).

I'd really like to hear more about how your truetrac handles.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TT's don't do a full lock, but they are close. You just need to learn to coordinate the throttle with the brakes when you pick a wheel up. TT's have no effect or your turning radius and they are less likely to cause a spin on icy roads compared to full lockers.

You need to use the right tool for the job and that depends on what type of offroading you intend to do. TT's are not suited for rock crawling.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 AM

Yeah I didnt expect 100% traction increase on rocks! Most of the stuff I do I can crawl with open diffs as long as I pick a OK line, sometimes a little teeter tottering till the front or back drops for hook up again and thats were Im hoping i can brake check or apply the ebrake to assist a little. As far as the boulders and really nasty stuff I leave that to others!
I was going back to thinking that a detroit locker rear and the true trac front should have been the way I went!!!!! Possibly a little remorse but then Its not icy/snowy here yet! (give it a month or so)
Old 10-05-2008, 03:43 PM

YES THEY ARE WORTH A $H!T!!!!!!!!
went up some super stupid steep muddy off camber rutted trails in the mtns just now and its a MONSTER with traction!
I am pleased and they definently open a new world of 4x4 possabilities that were out of reach before hand.
Tried to go up a (WAY TOO STEEP) incline on the side of the road and all it did was go BAWUUUR and dig all 4! It was damn near straight up and I didnt know the limitations of physics and dirt! LMAO!