86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is it true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it true?

Sure. Just remember Enginebuilder's parts kits are made in China
I find this hard to believe but maybe I am naive can anyone confirm or debunk this statement?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would this include his cams?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

I know from ted he turns his own cams it's the rest of the stuff I am wondering about I am about to buy everything to rebuild a 22 re from him and want to make sure its not true because I can get the same stuff on e-bay way cheaper if I want Chinese
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any reason why you're asking us instead of him?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

only because he is closed right now I will call him tomorrow to find out from him himself
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM

okay. so this thread couldn't have waited until you asked and heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM

I have emailed him later than this and got a response, shoot him an email!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Ted's stuff is supposed to be top notch. Starting a rumour without knowing for sure, could hurt his small business.

Let's evaluate him on the quality of his product (ie: has anyone had an engnbldr part fail??), not where his stuff might have come from.

To stay competitive, most businesses of this nature have to use non-American made products, this should hardly be a surprise.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Don't think so. I remember him saying the chinese castings were crap.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 PM

pretty sure my headbolts, and most of the timing kit was made in usa/japan??

ill look at the boxes tomorrow its late
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
okay. so this thread couldn't have waited until you asked and heard it from the horse's mouth, so to speak?
It probably could have but I wanted to see if anyone else knew if it was true or not. I was sent that from someone from this board and NO I WILL NOT RAT HIM/HER OUT SO DON'T ASK and thought if it came from here maybe some other members here may have some info that I was not aware of that's why I posted it IS IT TRUE and asked if anyone could verify or debunk it and stated that I did not think so but want to know for sure.

I guess it really don't matter to much to me as I have already decided after talking with tod and e-mailing ted that as up front as they both were and the guaranty that they offer I am buying from them anyway

Here is the comment as it was sent to me here

Sure. Just remember Enginebuilder's parts kits are made in China. I have a block at the machine shop now and I was going to do enginebuilder till I found that out. I can get a full Sealed Power Overhaul kit through my engine guy here for $450 including pistons.

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-21-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM

engnbldr's site says this (http://www.engnbldr.com/toyota_heads.htm):
"The quality is assured: There are cheaper castings available now, most made in China. We are sure they are fine, but we do not supply them. You will look a long time to better these prices for this quality standard, we know. We are constantly looking ourselves."
Old 10-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
engnbldr's site says this (http://www.engnbldr.com/toyota_heads.htm):
"The quality is assured: There are cheaper castings available now, most made in China. We are sure they are fine, but we do not supply them. You will look a long time to better these prices for this quality standard, we know. We are constantly looking ourselves."
I guess that answers that.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
A friend of mine who is a Toyota Master Tech, who builds Toyota engines for a living, uses nothing but engnbldr stuff. Quality is not dependent on origin. Many years ago "Made in Japan" meant it sucked. Times change.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of stuff is made in china. Not all of it is crap btw. The reason a lot of the chinese stuff sold in the us is crap is because we as consumers like stuff cheap, and dont really care about the quality. Ever been to walmart?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a number of parts on the newer yota's are made in china, and then assembled at the toy factory in japan, the us, or elsewhere.

and just for the record i have no idea where engnbldr's stuff is from, but as states above the best way to find out is to give him a call. he is always willing to answer any questions you may have about his products.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM

Just used ALL Engnbldr stuff to rebuild my RE. My decision was based on reputation for quality and customer service, as well as personal experience with them by email and over the phone. Couldn't care if he got his parts out of the trunk of a car on Mars, his reputation for quality and customer service on the few instances of part failure are what's important to me.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by qdude79
Just used ALL Engnbldr stuff to rebuild my RE. My decision was based on reputation for quality and customer service, as well as personal experience with them by email and over the phone. Couldn't care if he got his parts out of the trunk of a car on Mars, his reputation for quality and customer service on the few instances of part failure are what's important to me.
That is also the reason I will be getting my kit from him it's hard to find someone that has that olschool way of doing business and willing to stand behind his parts like this.

The only reason I was concerned about the parts being Chinese is just to know I have never heard anything bad about engine builders stuff but was curious if it was fact or someone trying to get me to buy parts from them or there Buddie.

Like WABFAB they are willing to talk and answer any questions you have about there product's and with an iron clad guaranty I can't think of a reason to buy from anyone else.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM

+1 for EB!!! He is a good guy & will be more than happy to talk with you on the phone & answer the same questions he has answered a zillion times before for others *lol* (to steal his famous LoL...)

I wish he was in AZ so I could buy him a beer for the help he provided me with my new 22re... :beer:
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Used three of his kits. Top notch stuff. Kit three is holding up to a turbo too. And its 9.5 to one compression.
Let me clarify the reason for three just to make this not sound funny. Because saying I used three and they were top notch begs the question that if the kits were top notch why the need for three. First rebuild was for fun. Second rebuild was due to the first engine sucking in water. See icon to left. Third kit was for a friends runner.

Last edited by saitotiktmdog; 10-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM

ENGNBLDR's parts are made in China?

As someone else said, like anywhere else there is high quality and low quality products available from China...it just happens to be that they can produce low quality product cheaper than anywhere/anyone else, so the market for low and even mid quality products is dominated by China (Walmart, Target, Harbor Freight, etc).

I had assumed some of ENGNBLDR's parts are made in China, and that he had sourced a quality supplier. I would think that it'd hard for a business selling such products to be competitive otherwise.

Based on his reputation here and elsewhere, I don't think you can beat the quality per dollar you get with his products (LCE might be better, but they are 5X or 6X the price!) Engnbldr's parts are renowned for quality and his company is known for their knowledge and customer service after the sale.

Take a look at his ebay feedback.

How's this for customer service!

Quick Reply: Is it true?