Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

truck wont start trying to pin point why. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck wont start trying to pin point why. please help.

ok so my 91 4x4 3.0l has always started and ran fine for the last 2 years ive had it. just a few weeks ago it began to give me issues starting. like i would drive to the store and turn if off then come out and it wouldnt fire up. click it a few dozen times and then bam fires up. I figured maybe it was time for a new battery since mine was from 05 and had seen better days. so new $100 bat in and still doesnt start. its fully charged too (i also checked my alt and its fine). when i jump start it, it fires right up first try like nothing is wrong at all. but turn it off and try again... nothing. i can hear the starter clicking just fine, so im sure its working. my next step i suppose is starter right? just want to be sure before i start ripping that thing out. im just curious about it being the starter cause if it was the starter, then jumping it shouldnt matter right? im confused... please help me out.

thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you have all good connections from your battery. No shorts frayed wires stuff like that. Maybe getting enough juice to click the starter but not enough to get it to actually engauge but when you hook another battery up in a jump start it gets enough juice. Just a pure guess but hey some times I get lucky
Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM

yeah i have checked the easy to get to stuff on the battery, but havent really dove into them all yet. i took the terminals off and sanded them real nice and made sure they have good contact on the bat. and i have no idea how many ground wires the engine has on it, but the little short one off the bat to the power steering pump bracket it nice and clean now. are there some easy to read diagrams i can look at to show me the rest?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Try searching for FSM for your make and model of truck shouldn't be that hard to find. Download the PDF to your computer and use it as the bible to your Toyota. I am sure somebody who knows more than me will chime in soon enough

Good luck
Old 09-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Sounds to me like a bad connection at the starter or the brushes in the starter are going bad, a mate of mine had the same thing and it was worn and dirty brushes
Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 PM

+1 for copnnections at starter. their is a small wire that has a tab connection on the starter, mine worked its way off one time. check those.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Sound like a solenoid to me.. had to replace one in my 82 chevy once...
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM

were would the starter solenoid or relay be located?and if they are bad why would jumping it work so well. if i use a good battery from another car it fires right up. ive tried a brand new tested battery and i have a brand new starter also. the only thing i havent done is replace all the wires or swap out my alternator. im at loss for this truck. its getting close to time to sell it if this crap keeps up.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Ok if you truck start fine on a jump or on a fresh battery and your battery tested fine at the parts store , a battery with half the cells dead still makes 12v, it sounds like your alternator might be bad.. you should be able to pull either your positive or negative cable i cant remember which one sorry, and the motor should run.. another test is to put a voltage meter on the batter eith the truck running you sgould get more than 12 volts it the alternator is good..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Either bad a bad starter, bad starter relay or crap wiring. I'd start with the relay. It's in the engine compartment relay block, on the passenger side of the compartment. IIRC they're labeled on the top of that box? That should be one click. The magnetic switch inside the starter should click too. Disconnect the thinner wire from that and make sure your starter relay is clicking. Then reconnect that wire and listen for a click that sounds like it's coming from inside the starter. If the motor isn't spinning at that time, time to replace your starter.