Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck runs rough

I have a 92 Toyota pick up with the 22re 5 speed it has the egughst leak at the head will this cause it to loose power and get bad gas mileage it also has a o2 code and it surges when at idle when u hole the pedal at a constant speed while driving slow it will surge up and down and will not manta in a constant speed it was getting dec gas mileage and then it just got worse over time also when it rains it will sputter and barly run till u wind it way up and then it wants to die anyi ideas
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM

First and foremost, use punctuation. You aren't texting you're friends, you're asking for help on a forum.

An exhaust leak at the head has tremendous effect on how your truck runs. All the extra oxygen is causing your O2 to think the truck is running lean, which causes the ecu to dump fuel to compensate. If ran too long like this, you can gunk everything up, and you could ruin your rings. Fix this immediately, then we will figure out what else is going on.

What codes are you showing?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Sorry was done from my phone lol and I caint remeber has been a while I think it was 25 28 or something and it has been getting worse as the leak has Got worse I can look when I have some time this is my first Toyota I have owne love the truck I just am not a import guy I no a lot about domest ford ext but the way it acts up has me baffled especially when it gets wet and won't run
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM

The running bad when wet could be a completely different issue, but lets deal with one thing at a time.

Code 25 sounds right since it is a lean condition. That's from your exhaust leak. Is the leak at the gasket, or is it in the manifold itself? If it a gasket, you really have no reason not to change it tomorrow since it is so damn easy and cheap.

If it is in the manifold, you can either pick up a used manifold for less than $100.00, or go ahead and buy a header. A header helps the engine breathe a little better, but it is not near as drastic as on a v8.

You actually will gain more with a properly sized exhaust. There is no reason to waste money on name brand exhaust for these trucks. It's the size of the pipe that matters. What is ideal is 2 inch from manifold/header back to the muffler, and 2 1/4 from muffler back. If you don't have emissions, you can ditch the catalytic converter. The only o2 that matters on these trucks is the one before the cat. You have to have this one.

The o2 has virtually nothing to do with emissions, it's sole purpose is to monitor oxygen in the exhaust to ensure proper air to fuel mixture. So, when you have an exhaust leak before the sensor, everything gets out of wack. These trucks ONLY like Denso direct fit O2 sensors. You can pick up the correct sensor on eBay for less than $50.00. If you go to a parts house or dealer, the same one will be over $100.00.

This is the Factory Service Manual for a 93, but very little if anything will be different. Always reference it before you ask questions on here. Most of the really knowledgable guys on this board won't respond to posts unless you have made an attempt to figure stuff out on your own. Plus, it's such a simple engine, once you get the basics down, you will see why so many people love these trucks.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Last edited by BamaYota1; 02-19-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM

It is the gasket itself and I'm gonna try to fix that this weekend if I have the time I just worry about the studs they look decent but just to be safe I am go an soak them in rust off a couple times first will let u no how it goes and thank u verry much for the help
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
See if your machine shop can level the surface of your manifold if you think it is warped/uneven. Sometimes the 3 bolts that connect the "Y" pipe will strip or loosen up and even with new bolts it wont stay in. I am not a fan of headers and prefer the stock manifold. Something I just recently learned and wished I would of thought of is if the bolts wont stay in use helicoils where the pipe connects to the manifold.

As far as the exhaust studs, they are much from Toyota and would suggest just getting them and new nuts as well.

I get my O2 sensors from www.sparkplugs.com get the factory one. I was a Ford guy as well and seeing then high miles on these Toyotas was a shocker for me when I first got into them. The domestics on average just cant compete with these trucks. The 22re is a simple little motor and the neglect that they see is unreal. You can find FSMs on the web in text form or ebay for a reasonable price but a Haynes works just as well for me and I have a FSM and Haynes.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Well got all that fixed and the truck now has a iratic idle when I hold the breaks. Also when it rains it starts to run verry bad it misses and acts like it wants to die until I hit high rpms then it falls on its face and takes back off I can not figure this one out
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it only acts funny when it rains you most likely have an electrical issue. Water may be coming in contact with an exposed wire and causing it to short circuit and cut out the power.

I would check your coil ignitor, spark plug wires, distributor and other spark related parts to make sure they are all sealed and intact (no tearing, excessive wear, poor done wire splices, etc.).

If it does this under dry conditions it's most likely more than a wiring issue.