Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck loses power after driving 1 hr+

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck loses power after driving 1 hr+

hey everybody I've been tracking down a miss in my engine that I finally figured out was a cracked spark plug wire, shocking the ˟˟˟˟ out of myself found that one. I have replaced the air filter, cleaned MAF, rotor, cap, plugs, wires, no vacuum leaks. I've cleaned the intake, throttle body, ran sea foam, Bg44k (Which steadied out the motor tremendously). The Plugs all have nice tan carbon deposits as they should. Anyways now that I've got the motor running smoothly, I am still having this problem where after i drive the car for an hour (give or take 20 min) on the highway or extended periods I feel like I'm losing power. I am having to downshift on inclines similar to those i just went up but was able to stay in 5th and maintain speed. I am trying to hunt this down as I drive 90 miles for work and its quite irritating.

I have been doing a lot of research and it sounds like either the fuel filter is clogged, fuel pump is going bad, or my coil is bad. I have been pondering the fuel issue but i am not having problems with it stumbling etc. any other symptoms of the fuel pump related issues I should be looking for?

Could a Clogged Cat be causing this?

As for the coil I tested it with my multimeter, the secondary checked out okay and within spec. I checked the primary and it showed 1.7 ohms, which I know is bad. But then I checked it again and it showed .7 ohms which is in spec?? I have checked it other times and I still get weird readings. To make sure I'm doing it right, I use the red probe and insert into the primary hole, and touch the black to either of the two secondary???

Please help i am getting quite frustrated, Thanks!!!

Last edited by rocklover; 04-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM

i wanna know too, having the same issue but not necessarily time related. just random.
no cat, so that shouldnt be an issue
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by greencactus3
i wanna know too, having the same issue but not necessarily time related. just random.
no cat, so that shouldnt be an issue
You got me thinking cactus, it is very noticeable after longer durations, but it does sometimes randomly not have as much power
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM

I am also having a similar issue where my runner starts idling roughly and surges only after I have driven it for awhile, hour or so also. I thought it could be a vacuum leak but it should run this way much sooner and doesn't.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rockstyle
I am also having a similar issue where my runner starts idling roughly and surges only after I have driven it for awhile, hour or so also. I thought it could be a vacuum leak but it should run this way much sooner and doesn't.
mine does not idle roughly or surge, it is still smooth as a baby! Only having power loss issues like its bogging down.

Not trying to be a butt but if you are having issues create a thread and post everything that's going on, you'd prob get an answer quicker
Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 AM

my 92 does the same thing, i drive 3 hours up to school and 3 hours back on weekends and about an hour and a half in i start having power issues. it varies with each trip and sometimes never has a power issue. im wondering if its just cause i have the 3.0L or if its something else?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Can anyone help someone has to have some knowledge on this??
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 PM

22re 93 toyota pickup bogs down

i give it gas and it bogs down i let up on pedel and it starts to run
Old 04-07-2011, 02:45 AM

If your cat convert is clogged, after driving for hour or so and you start to notice power lose, pull over and check under neath to see if your cat is glowing red or orange. If it is then it is def a clogged cat. Easy fix as well. You could also put in a test pipe and remove the cat to be for SURE that is the problem.

Fuel filter should be an easy $15 change. Why not start there first if you notice no problems with the cat?

I have no comments on the coil part as you failed to mention what engine you have.

Also, I try to tell myself be patient on this site as I can see half these guys being as old as my dad. And if they can actually post in the sorta right section I find it quite amazing haha.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MAD MARK
If your cat convert is clogged, after driving for hour or so and you start to notice power lose, pull over and check under neath to see if your cat is glowing red or orange. If it is then it is def a clogged cat. Easy fix as well. You could also put in a test pipe and remove the cat to be for SURE that is the problem.

Fuel filter should be an easy $15 change. Why not start there first if you notice no problems with the cat?

I have no comments on the coil part as you failed to mention what engine you have.

Also, I try to tell myself be patient on this site as I can see half these guys being as old as my dad. And if they can actually post in the sorta right section I find it quite amazing haha.
Thanks Mark ill check the cat tomorrow when i go to work! I bought a fuel filter, Im trying to figure out the best way to change it.

Anyone have any info pertaining to the coil?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Go under there, wire brush your filter connections and PB Blaster/WD-40 them at least a day ahead of when you are going to change it out.

Make sure you open the gas tank by taking off the gas tank cap before you do this to relieve pressure in the tank. Should have something to catch the, somtimes, near half gallon of gas in the tank line when taking off the filter.

ALWAYS use two wrenches to undo the connections as well. One on the line itself and one on the filter. Rusted gas lines dont like being twisted.