86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck keeps dying

I can't figure out why my truck keeps dying. It first started a few months back. I was driving home one night and it just died on me. I pulled over and cleaned the leads and made sure connections were tight. It started right up and I made it all the way home with no problems. I figured problem solved.

The next day, I went to jump my Bronco and my truck dies while ideling. Tried starting it and it would crank but never turned over. I figured I would try it again later. Come back and it starts right up so I drive it around and it runs fine. Parked it and left it for about a week.

Decided to drive it to school yesterday. Starts fine. Make it all the way to school and then it just dies in the parking lot. Try starting it and it cranks but never turns over. Push it into a spot and then try starting it to straighten it out so I don't get a ticket for parking in 2 spots. It starts just fine.

Leaving school yesterday, it starts and I drive for about 15 minutes and then it dies while I'm waiting at a light. Try starting it and it cranks but never turns over. I turn the key to the off position and then on and it starts right up and I make it home no problem.

Any ideas about what may be going on?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 AM

I had the same problem. Try changing out the fuel filter first before replacing any other parts.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-22re-118159/

Last edited by Toyvana; 01-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Also make sure all your electrical connections are on tight and are strong and clean of corrosion, try changing the fuel filter also. Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
If you have a 22r-e

Check your grounds locations make sure the contact areas a clean and tight - no pun inteded.

Valve Cover ground back of valve cover to firewall
Intake Ground - gray wire that bolts by the black canister on upper intake.
Alternator ground
And starter ground going to engine block.

Make sure they are all snug and have a good mating surface.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 01-30-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

I have had that problem on a few different CARS, and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Also what motor do you have? If 22-R has it been extremely cold? My pickup (22r) doesn't like to stay started when I'm in the -0 (degrees). Also it died while going down a bumpy hill (around 15 mph) after it sat for a sec, it just started right up.

If you have 22r I would check the carb and see if all vacuum hoses are connected and are free of holes/cracks/etc. Thats all I could help you with, good luck.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Its called a clutch. if you let it out too quickly without giving it gas it will die.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Sorry I didn't post more info about my truck. It's a 93 with a 22re.

I'll go back and check all my connections again.

I was going to replace the fuel filter. I just wasn't sure if that was causing it. The last 2 times I had to replace the fuel filter, the engine would sputter. No sputtering this time though. It just dies.

I'll also have to practice finding that friction point of the clutch.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jump the diagnostic connectors and check that the fuel pump is working correctly.

With the ign switch on jump the Fp and +B connector in the grey 'diagnostics' box.

Pull the fuel line and make sure there is good pressure...
Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by toy93
Sorry I didn't post more info about my truck. It's a 93 with a 22re.

I'll go back and check all my connections again.

I was going to replace the fuel filter. I just wasn't sure if that was causing it. The last 2 times I had to replace the fuel filter, the engine would sputter. No sputtering this time though. It just dies.

I'll also have to practice finding that friction point of the clutch.
This could be far fetched but make sure you throttle cable is not screwed up and adjusted enough to keep the flap on the throttle bottle from closing completely. I has to adjust the two nuts( hahaha) the night I brought mine home, because when I would engage the clutch the truck would die going off exit ramps and and at idle. Make sure the throttle cable isnt sticking. The flow of fuel should fill a beer can in about a minute or so. If it is week, bearly coming out, then filter might be f--ked up, or pump is bad

You could always pop the feed line off from the fuel rail, will ha ve to get a new crush washer, but you could take the 19mm bolt out right behind the underside of the throtle body, and like Jay said hit the key to ign, and see if you get a good flow of fuel, if not the problem resides from filter back.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 02-01-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pump to me unless it hasent had a tune-up in years. Try fuel pump and tune-up.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Finally got around to working on my truck. One of the pleasures of pharmacy school is that it doesn't leave you with much free time.

Anyway, as I was checking all my connections again, I noticed a white/black wire coming out of the alternator harness with a ring terminal connector on it that was just hanging there resting against a mounting bracket. Is this the alternator ground? I didn't notice it last time and figured that the alternator grounded on the frame where the harness plugs in.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by toy93
Finally got around to working on my truck. One of the pleasures of pharmacy school is that it doesn't leave you with much free time.

Anyway, as I was checking all my connections again, I noticed a white/black wire coming out of the alternator harness with a ring terminal connector on it that was just hanging there resting against a mounting bracket. Is this the alternator ground? I didn't notice it last time and figured that the alternator grounded on the frame where the harness plugs in.
bullseye kid, mount that thing up to something with a NUT, stock mount is like up in the alternator mounting bracket where the bracket mounts into the head, I took mine down around the bolt that allows the alternator to pivot. take the 15mm nut off the back. This is the long way, if you take this route you will need two wrenches as the bolt will just turn. Hook it up and let me know what you get.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM

If you need some instruction let me know, call me 513-382-9682, and I can walk you through it.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM

I mounted that wire on the back side of the alt slide bolt, the one where the alt mounts to the block. If I am correct, there should only be three wires on the alt harness, this one (ground), the circular one that clips into the back of the alt (charges the battery?), and the hot, which is also tightened with a nut on the acutal alternator. So, ground that wire you have laying around, to something metal, make sure your battery is charged up and see what happens.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 02-14-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM

So here's an update:

Grounded alternator. Started the truck and after 30 seconds it dies and then wouldn't start

Yesterday I got a chance to work on it again. Since it wasn't starting at all (cranking fine just not turning over), I pulled one of the wires to see if I had a spark.....No spark. So I pull the cap. Cap and rotor look okay but I figure I'll just replace them. Pull the ignition module/igniter and coil so I can have them tested at Autozone. Get to Autozone and apparently they don't have the connectors to test mine. Not just at this Autozone but at all of them. Checker doesn't test modules and the NAPA that was open said they could (doubt they checked for my application) but their machine was down. I then went to a couple of junkyards to find one because I'm not going to spend $350 on a new one but found nothing. I tracked one down (a freebie) today and will pick it up tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM

I know this is an old thread but I would like to resurrect it in order to gain some info without creating a new thread.

I have this black/white wire grounded to the engine and it gets hot when the vehicle runs and today it melted some of the sheathing off of the wire. Does this mean my engine is not properly grounded to the chassis? I am trying to get my truck to run right after rebuilding the engine.. It fires up and runs rough, I still have to set the distributor timing but not with this wire getting hot, don't want to chance it burning up the harness.