Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

truck idling extremely low/dying after driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck idling extremely low/dying after driving

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and signed up to pick the brains of all you Yota-junkies out there! Just to get things straight, the name TurdRunner was just being funny, I absolutely love my Runner.

Onto the business. I have a 1990 4Runner that I bought a little over a year ago. It has a 3VZE with 140,000 miles. The cat was cut out before I bought it and I had to put new exhaust from just behind the O2 sensor all the way back.

On my first trip with the truck, I was pulling a trailer on the highway out of OD running around 60-65. It still had a pretty good load for the motor. I stopped to get gas and upon starting the motor back up, the RPMs fell low, bounced some and then died. I tried again, same thing. After a few tries of letting it idle alone, I gave it some gas and got it going enough to shift into drive and take off, keeping the idle up with my foot at the few lights before getting back onto the interstate. I noticed that after a few minutes of keeping it going by giving it gas it would idle on its own again.

After owning it for over a year now I've noticed that this happens any time the motor has a good load on it, such as pulling a trailer, or gassing hard uphill for a long time. Sometimes now it even happens just after normal driving. Just to be clear, it's ALMOST always on start-up after sitting for just a few minutes (again I say Almost). I've also noticed that if I just kick the AC on it won't do it, but I'm guessing that is just because it idles it up some when the AC compressor kicks on.

I looked on some forums, including this one, and found quite a few tests for MAF, engine coolant sensor, and TPS. So I checked resistance on those and everything seemed to be in order. Saying that, I checked them at operating temperature and NOT when the problem was happening. I did not check the O2 sensor, but I have been meaning to change that out anyways, so I will replace it soon.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Anything else I can test? Others that have had the same problem? Thanks for any help you can give me. I used to turn wrenches a lot and always stayed in tune with these things, but after many years of working other jobs I feel like I've forgotten everything but the basics. Hopefully all of you true Yota gearheads can help me out!

Mitch