86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck Died Today, but came back to life

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Died Today, but came back to life

Well today, I was driving, and my truck died and wouldnt start.

Okay there was white smoke comming from the engine bay, I thought my engine had siezed, but as I was sitting there, there was more white smoke comming from my steering column. I ran to the engine and disconnected the battery and the smoke cleared from under the dash.

Well I didnt want my truck to burn down, so I called my freind and he pulled me back to my house. I re-connected the battery and she started like she always does!

Sooo what I am thinking is that there was a short under the dash, But what under there would cause my truck just to die. I mean I even tried to start her right afterwards and she didnt start.

I checked the oil when I got home and it was good, the truck was not over heating or anything. I thought she might have broke the timing chain, siezed up, blew a headgasket, or threw a rod. But she started right up.

Sorry about the long post I just wanted to cover all of the bases and ask you all what you think might of happened. As of now I am going to come home this next weekend and tear out the dash. Any input will help.

p.s. I kind of wish that my engine had siezed cause I could finally start my build up thread!!! And there arent that many hold downs in the engine bay.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Coming from the steering column? Towards the gearbox, the middle, or the firewall? Could you tell at all?

I know there's some wiring and even a ground that rests fairly close to the steering column. The ground runs to the power steering bracket. Have a close look there and even the alternator. I had a small fire incident when PS/ATF fluid was leaking onto the alernator and ignited on the wiring. Fried the alternator, though.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you do have high power wires going though your under dash!!!! its your constant power and ign. and if they come lose they will get stuck in the steering wheel and ground out and from towing her it came undone look under there and see what wire it is and replace it and zip tie them out of harms way
Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I know is, my truck died. There was smoke rolling out of the hood. And the smoke from under the dash, I tried to look under there but i couldnt see anything cause of the smoke. I didnt pop the hood cause I was scared what I would see.

Another thing, my power steering has been leaking for a while, that makes me wonder about what Thook said!!