86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck Died: Overfueling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck Died: Overfueling?

So My truck died on saturday. I was coming home and all of a sudden the power cut to zero for about 5 seconds then it was fine again for a minute or two then nothing. I coasted to a stop and cranked and cranked it with no starting.

pushed it home and started checking things. There is spark, and while I had the plug out of the cylinder and cranking it fuel was shooting out of the spark plug hole… Far enough that it was actually escaping the engine bay.

So I suspect there is way too much fuel. I also noticed that the injector resister solenoid was hot enough to actually burn me when I touched it. So I swapped in another one and still no start.

Any Ideas??

1986 22rte 5spd
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM

Just pulled the upper intake manifold off and all 4 lower intake runners are FULL of fuel!

What could cause the injectors to fire at full capacity?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you said the injector resistor was very hot, you may have a short in the wiring to the injectors, probably on top of the intake manifold where they all splice together.

On a cold engine, say below 65F or so, the cold start injector should be spraying fuel while you're cranking it. So try disconnecting the plug to it and see how it goes. You may need starting fluid to help it start though so be careful.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

So I put everything back together yesterday, and it started up… Still running rough. Took it for a test drive for a couple hours and all was well. Aside from some major popping/backfire on downshifting for the first ten minutes.

Today when it warmed up I revved it up in third and it started missing/studdering at WOT. Tried it a bunch over the next 5 minutes and its still doing it. Cuts out at WOT around 3500 rpm ish

No Codes.

I have been trying to track down this problem for about 6 months. And I installed the new injectors about 4 months ago. I have swapped them back and forth several times since then. Most recently was the day that I started this thread.
Idle is still bad(smells rich) with the new injectors, but with the old ones it never cut out at WOT. With the old injectors it would miss/stumble at very light cruising load. Both sets produce a very rough idle. Smoother when cold. OEM toyota injectors are 295cc 1.6ohm. New ones are 300cc 2.5ohm.

One thing I have noticed is that when its idling rough if i pull the vacuum line off of the FPR and plug the line(no vacuum leak) the idle smooths out and rpms climb a bit. It did this both with the stock FPR and the new one I installed a couple months ago.

Its kind of intermittent because for about 3 hours of driving/high rpm yesterday it never cut out once. And it has done this several times in the past. It has also popped like crazy on downshifting several times(only with the new injectors)

I checked the EFI temp sensor, its in the range specd by the FSM
Im on the third denso o2 sensor in the past year…keep thinking that it might be the problem/getting fouled by possible rich mixture.
brand new Toyota TPS…no different than the old one.
AFM is clean and smooth.

Im missing something! I have a wideband to put in but I don't want to foul it up if its cutting out because of a waaay rich mixture.