Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Truck Cap Options - Post Photos - Ideas

Old 04-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 TOY XTRA 4X4 SR5 Soon To Arrive - Cap / Photos / Extra Enhancement Ideas

So I have a new soon to be happy addition heading my way, an 86 TOY XTRA 4X4 SR5 ORIGINAL PAINT FULLY LOADED RUST FREE from NORCAL and I would like to add more to it. First a cap / topper, not many new options it seems, perhaps others ran into this issue. How do I know which one will fit, then I also want it match my color / look, factory white.

The front of the cap needs to have a slider, the sides need to have 1/2 screen sliders as well. A brake light is cool, but not a must. My main use is for a large dog. The truck has the original factory plastic bed liner as well, so I will want to keep that in place to save the bed from any damage.

Any pics or resources are helpful in getting some ideas, I'm looking at prob a week for the soon to be loved to arrive here.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM

This seems to be the only Cap option new, wonder if it would be out of place on this style truck. Plus the costs are like what really you want what? lol

[YOUTUBE]rB7JHTa8SKM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how about an ARE shell they look just like the one pictured.
anyone know what they cost? and how you measure the shell?
i was thinking about one too.

nice lookin truck by the way.

Last edited by donomite49; 04-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49

Yah ARE is also an option, they all run $1200-1500+ new with the options I need painted to factory color codes and installed. That's some serious quiche for some fiberglass form, glass, screens, a few low-end shocks, cheap brake light and a lock.

Thanks on the truck complement, can't wait to get it, it's on it's madden voyage right now.

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM

When I got my '87 I couldn't find a newer (post 90) painted/clear coated cap to save my life. Nothing had the right fit, nor color. Then one day I lucked across an old fiberglass cap that came off my exact truck. Toyota grey, long bed etc. It's fiberglass and oxidized to all hell, but did the trick. Here it is after TR3, Marine Compound and two coats of marine wax. It still doesn't look "glossy" or painted, but I'll take it for $300 bucks!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49

Originally Posted by saltandgranite
When I got my '87 I couldn't find a newer (post 90) painted/clear coated cap to save my life. Nothing had the right fit, nor color. Then one day I lucked across an old fiberglass cap that came off my exact truck. Toyota grey, long bed etc. It's fiberglass and oxidized to all hell, but did the trick. Here it is after TR3, Marine Compound and two coats of marine wax. It still doesn't look "glossy" or painted, but I'll take it for $300 bucks!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Yours looks great, yeah that's going to be my issue, either go new and bend over in the process or get lucky and buy one that fits. If it can be painted to spec to match. I here from many people TR3 is the best to bring back the clear coat life. nice truck

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-19-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this because it has a kind of 4runner look:
Name:  93.jpg
Views: 12462
Size:  108.0 KB
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ingenuitor
Yours looks great, yeah that's going to be my issue, either go new and bend over in the process or get lucky and buy one that fits. If it can be painted to spec to match. I here from many people TR3 is the best to bring back the clear coat life. nice truck
Thanks, still have a few things I want to do to her - decals, arb bumper, light bar up top etc, but I love it. How many miles on your 86? 5sp? 22re?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts

200 bucks on Craigslist, stripped and line-x'd 150, for 350 bucks I love it I put an add in Craigslist for wanted got a call in 1 day. Now that you are looking for one it will show up.

And yes your truck looks wonderful just be patient, extra cab truck caps were way more common than single cabs.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 04-19-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM

Gem Top Navajo

It hangs over the bed by about ¾ inch on either side because it fit Rangers of the era as well, but it was color matched to the Toyotas. 033 White in this case.

No cab gasket to ruin paint, slider front window, had screens in the sides until our old dog pushed them out.

I have a love/hate relationship with it. The truck (IMO) looks better without it, and it has contributed to the butt sag, but man is it handy and it keeps the interior a ton cooler as well.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:55 AM

I have an original brahma on my identical 86. Works great and is really light. It's flat black. Stupid mobile app won't let me attach a pic
Attached Thumbnails Truck Cap Options - Post Photos - Ideas-image-1137448981.jpg   Truck Cap Options - Post Photos - Ideas-image-2024827940.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ingenuitor
So I have a new soon to be happy addition heading my way, an 86 TOY XTRA 4X4 SR5 ORIGINAL PAINT FULLY LOADED RUST FREE from NORCAL
Is this the one that was on ebay?

Originally Posted by stock87
No cab gasket to ruin paint, slider front window.
I hate that gasket thing.

I've been debating on a shell as well but many have the open end which uses that gasket to seal.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Is this the one that was on ebay?

I hate that gasket thing.

I've been debating on a shell as well but many have the open end which uses that gasket to seal.
Why yes it is, I will says its the first for me, buying from ebay is like taking a walk on the wild of risk, which I never did. Maybe I will get lucky or maybe I will just get hosed, time will time all. So far things seem are good, even had an ase pro check it all out. Could it be a dream or just some blip in the space time continuum. lol
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
I like this because it has a kind of 4runner look:
Yeah that looks really good as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by matstaley
I have an original brahma on my identical 86. Works great and is really light. It's flat black. Stupid mobile app won't let me attach a pic
I'm kinda liking the perspective of a black cap with a white truck, makes the truck look like a tuck and not a 4 Runner, which both looks are great hmmm. Thanks for the post, helps we decide, what could be. More thinking...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM

So I found a yard that has 900+ caps http://www.mminconline.com , they said, yet they seem to have them by make and model / year, Chevy, Ford and so on, what they cam off of. So the question of the day, I wonder if there is a cross reference for cap sizes, like would an S10 top fit a 1/2 ton 86 ext cab toy?

Anyone ever deal with this type of comparison? I would think some would work and others not so much, yet I'm not sure how to do that comparison. This yard has tons of caps, some like new and so I would think one must fit, yet they don't have one for my truck make mod and year? So that makes no sense. Thanks

Last edited by ingenuitor; 04-24-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
We have one of those places here in colorado, cap-it covers or something like that.

Pretty much any of the small truck caps will interchange. There will be minor issues like slight over hang or it won't perfectly match the rear slope of the cab.

Spend the wait figuring out which kind of top you prefer, High top or flat top, which finish you prefer gel coat or vinyl wrapped, which window style full length sliders or short slide with a fixed window.

The rough dimensions are 59"x76" (from memory, my note pad is missing). The slope is mostly a personal preference most people won't notice if the cap is 90 degrees to the bed rails. You don't really want the cap and cab to meet with out the gasket, due to the bed being solid to the frame and the cab being rubber mounted it'll wear the paint. The Gasket trapping water is not an issue if it's adjusted properly so that the high pin is in the middle ti'll shed it off the sides, it also shouldn't rub a wear spot unless you put it on too tight or dirty.

My top is a high top leer looks almost exactly like the Gem top in post number 10 but my rear fixed window takes up the whole rear area there so it's maybe twice the size of that one. Personally I'd avoid any high top with the forward facing windows in the raised area, just begging for leaks

PS found my notes I got 59.5 x 76, but it doesn't say if that was middle of the rails or outside dimensions.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 04-24-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: PS..
Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
We have one of those places here in colorado, cap-it covers or something like that.

Pretty much any of the small truck caps will interchange. There will be minor issues like slight over hang or it won't perfectly match the rear slope of the cab.

Spend the wait figuring out which kind of top you prefer, High top or flat top, which finish you prefer gel coat or vinyl wrapped, which window style full length sliders or short slide with a fixed window.

The rough dimensions are 59"x76" (from memory, my note pad is missing). The slope is mostly a personal preference most people won't notice if the cap is 90 degrees to the bed rails. You don't really want the cap and cab to meet with out the gasket, due to the bed being solid to the frame and the cab being rubber mounted it'll wear the paint. The Gasket trapping water is not an issue if it's adjusted properly so that the high pin is in the middle ti'll shed it off the sides, it also shouldn't rub a wear spot unless you put it on too tight or dirty.

My top is a high top leer looks almost exactly like the Gem top in post number 10 but my rear fixed window takes up the whole rear area there so it's maybe twice the size of that one. Personally I'd avoid any high top with the forward facing windows in the raised area, just begging for leaks

PS found my notes I got 59.5 x 76, but it doesn't say if that was middle of the rails or outside dimensions.
Yeah I kinda looked and must haves are sliding side screens, have a large dog and front sliders. So far I found one in the yard for $295, needs paint for $300 ish, new cost $1200 ish installed, time and hassles costs $200-$300 ish, I have to work, the yard is 45m away, for time and back and forth, so all but $800-$900, plus maybe new screens and gasket.

So idk, maybe new is not so bad, when you think about it that way so far, unless I find what I need out of the box. No go on that yet.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Here is something interesting info, stupid internet, if its online it must be true lol: REF: http://tomzizzo.hubpages.com/hub/Tip...d-camper-shell

From 1989 to 1994, the basic Toyota truck, referred to by some as the SR5, didn’t change much, except for the addition of a third brake light in 94, something I already talked about. Before 1989, the 1984 to 88 trucks, are essentially the same as the 1989 to 1994, as far as the bed is concerned, however some may have what is called a ‘Japanese’ bed, meaning the bed rails roll to the outside. Think of it like this, on literally any truck today, you can only access the underside of a bed rail from the inside of the bed, a ‘Japanese’ bed is only accessed from the outside. I will admit I don’t know much about what will fit these types of beds since by the time I started selling camper shells these trucks were fairly old and I rarely saw one come into the shop looking for a shell.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Same things fit just needs a different mount than the standard clamps probably no option but to drill the rail like on the older style beds which were all rolled to the outside. There is actually a currently active thread "what is this bed" or some similar title, it shows those beds.

Don't recall if you posted a more accurate location than just PA. But here is used one that outta fit, just your truck is the wrong color (Subtext: plenty of these on the local craigslist where ever you happen to be. And always at a steep discount.)

PS. live cargo in the camper shell is a big no no. Exhaust poisoning hazard. You'll want the grommet/gasket and need to run the climate control on exterior intake to pump fresh air out the back windows.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Cap Options - Post Photos - Ideas