Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission Removal

Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Removal

Im helpin my buddy take out his transmission to replace his clutch with marlins finest. We have removed all bolts and disconnected any lines and electrical wires, and it is not working with us at all. Are there any bolts in strange places on the passenger side that we could be missing? Or is it just generally hard to take off? Any advice is awesome, because snow is on its way.. THANKS!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by explodingchimp
Im helpin my buddy take out his transmission to replace his clutch with marlins finest. We have removed all bolts and disconnected any lines and electrical wires, and it is not working with us at all. Are there any bolts in strange places on the passenger side that we could be missing? Or is it just generally hard to take off? Any advice is awesome, because snow is on its way.. THANKS!

Hmmm, let's see. You think you've removed all the bolts mounting it to the engine. Probably didn't miss the four small ones on the bottom, or the two really small ones holding the slave cylinder on. Assuming you removed the rearward facing starter mounting bolt in the process(maybe not even realizing that's what it was). But...did you remove the other starter bolt from the front and place the starter to the side? That's the only inobvious one on the passenger side. The exhaust bracket holding it to the exhaust down pipe on the driver's side would be another that wasn't mentioned.

You've already unbolted the transfer case from the crossmember there too right?

Generally hard to take off? Nope, not particularly. It will slide back fairly easy if the bolts are all removed first. Sometimes the first inch or so can be a little tougher than the rest of it. I usually give it a good shake/wiggle untill I can barely fit some kind of prying tool in between it and the clutch backing plate and then push it back an inch or so. After getting it started like that it should come on out without too much trouble.

Gettin' it back on though.

PITA! Every time! Never wants to go back in without a bunch of huff'n and a puff'n and some seriously profuse cussin'. Which I highly recommend, because it's always worked for me. Call it the tricks of the trade.

Good luck!

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-09-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy

Hmmm, let's see. You think you've removed all the bolts mounting it to the engine. Probably didn't miss the four small ones on the bottom, or the two really small ones holding the slave cylinder on. Assuming you removed the rearward facing starter mounting bolt in the process(maybe not even realizing that's what it was). But...did you remove the other starter bolt from the front and place the starter to the side? That's the only inobvious one on the passenger side. The exhaust bracket holding it to the exhaust down pipe on the driver's side would be another that wasn't mentioned.

You've already unbolted the transfer case from the crossmember there too right?

Generally hard to take off? Nope, not particularly. It will slide back fairly easy if the bolts are all removed first. Sometimes the first inch or so can be a little tougher than the rest of it. I usually give it a good shake/wiggle untill I can barely fit some kind of prying tool in between it and the clutch backing plate and then push it back an inch or so. After getting it started like that it should come on out without too much trouble.

Gettin' it back on though.

PITA! Every time! Never wants to go back in without a bunch of huff'n and a puff'n and some seriously profuse cussin'. Which I highly recommend, because it's always worked for me. Call it the tricks of the trade.

Good luck!
........Yup.
Pretty much summed it up and took the words right out of my mouth.
Check and Mate. Hahaha
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I had to use a come along once to pull mine out
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys, i think the one we are missing is the one located directly behind the starter. Slow process due to the 3 or so inches of snow we got, but should work out nicely. I did however install a sub in my runner, and man is it awesome. Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did you also take out the sticks and the starter ? might just have to wiggle the piss out of it
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the one bolt that comes from the other way gets ya everytime
Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I remove the starter when I disconnect the front drive shaft.

Here in the Salt belt I have had some transmissions that were a bugger to break loose once it broke loose it came out pretty easy .

As long as you remember to drop the back end so it does not hit against the floor of the truck.

going back in is also a little bit trail and error to you get the angle just right two floor jacks make it so much easier