Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transfercase output shaft wobbles? New flange/Nut and still wobbles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfercase output shaft wobbles? New flange/Nut and still wobbles?

I have been searching the forums and diagnosing my problems with vibrations under load (smooth as butter on coast)and finally need to start my own post.

I just bought this truck and the tires were way out of balance. I got them balanced and noticed a little random vibrations. I replaced the u-joints and noticed the the companion flange and pinion flange were a little loose (by loose I mean I could sense movement, not that they were wobbl-ing). I drove 2 hours into 25 miles per hour head winds and a little over an hour into it, climbing a hill the "NEW", under load vibration started and the companion flange seems more loose.

Upon trying to find a vibration I have,

-Replaced the pinion flange and re-torqued a new pinion nut (diff has solid pinion spacer) not taking any chances.
-Had a new drive shaft made, a touch longer, new u-joints and a cv joint off the back of the companion flange/transfer-case to help cut down on the high angle
-Installed a trail gear tripple drilled companion flange. I used a touch of RTV on the splines (heard this trick somewhere) and torqued a new nut with 3ft breaker bar and 3 ft sst I made that bolts to companion flange.

Once I was done with everything, the companion flange still moves up and down. I suspect the rear output shaft bearing. Any thoughts?

Should I find a used T-Case or replace the bearing? If you say replace, What is a direct bolt in to a 93 standard cab/short bed? I cant afford to change the length of this drive shaft again.....

Oh and after all of this the vibes are the exact same

Last edited by Slideshow86; 11-12-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM

I just found this and after further review it doenst seem very hard to do.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...1-gear-install

Im just wondering if only changing the rear output shaft bearing would fix it? Or if I would need to do the main bearing too?

Anyone ever fixed this problem them self?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Rebuilding the whole transfer case is not hard and if that one bearing is bad might as well do the rest.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 PM

Yesterday a friend of mine told me my transmission is a G56 (I have no clue) and he had a t-case for me. I went over and gave it a visual, Looked the same to us? So we went ahead and pulled my t-case out. Seems my 93 has the same exact t-case but the shift forks are about an inch shorter on each one.

While draining my t-case and trans it came out like water, it was bad (trans shifts like butter?). I was able to note a noticable about of shaft play at the main t-case bearing as well as the rear output shaft bearing. We believe that this is caused by driving for an extended amount of time with bad u-joints and loose t-case flange/ companion flange.

With out being able to find any solution last night I was forced to re-install my t-case to take my car home....I call everyone I know and search craigs list and nothing.

This morning I found an add on craigs list just saying "I have toyota parts". I called the guy and headed out and let me say, this guy has some toyota parts, his prices were the best I had seen AND he is only 30 mins from my house. I left with the t-case needed

I R&R'd the T-case again and changed the pinion angle a touch.

FINALLY IT IS FREE OF VIBRATIONS AT ALL SPEEDS

WHAT A PAIN IN MY ASS!

-Driveshaft $300
-T-case $100
-Flange $20 each
-Flange nuts $5 each
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Digging up the past, I know o.O hehe.... for reference... Im in wobbleville now with new to me swap from ZUK to OMEmu CS009R kit... grrrr! Lol