Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trans Dipstick tube mounting NEED PIC!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Dipstick tube mounting NEED PIC!

Hi-

I am reassembling my 3vze into my 95 4-runner. For the life of me, I don't remember or see where the transmission dipstick tube mounts to.

It comes up on the drivers side, and the mount eye on the tube is very close to the exhaust manifold, but I really, really don't think that is right.

Can someone please take a pic of their drivers side engine compartment, and particular the transmission tube mount?

Thanks!

Last edited by mattches; 10-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Try the FSM if you can't get the answers you are looking for.

Don't assume that just because no one answered you the first time means no one is willing to help. Rude messages about lack of fellow member help for something so simple will merely net you rude responses.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM

Long story short, I could use a pic of this too because someone who worked on my truck at some point didn't reattach the tranny dipstick to anything. It's just wobbling around in there.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM

Is the transmission dipstick tube suppose to be horizontal when it enters the pan?

Here's my real issue: My transmission (A340H) is slow to engage the first gear when starting from a dead stop, but this isn't a problem if you manually move it into L, get the truck going, then shift to D when you hit like 10-15 MPH. I checked the fluid level and it looks like it's way too full (it goes up past the hot mark when it's cold). So I messed around with draining out some fluid, but that didn't help. I did some searching on here and found that a common issue with these trannys is that the dipstick tube is in 2 pieces and sometimes they aren't put back together correctly, which will show an incorrect level on the dipstick. I looked into this and noticed that the dipstick tube is horizontal for the last 4-6 inches before it enters the transmission pan (see pic). Additionally, the top section of tube isn't bolted to anything, which from what I read on here, it's suppose to be bolted to something. Is this normal? It seems like it would need to be vertical at the bottom in order to get a good reading of the fluid level, but who knows? It wouldn't be the weirdest thing about this transmission if it's suppose to be like that. Any thoughts? Can someone with an 86-95 pickup or 4runner with a V6 and automatic go take a look at how their dipstick enters their tranny pan?
Attached Thumbnails Trans Dipstick tube mounting NEED PIC!-tranny-dipstick-tube-pic.jpg  
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM

I've got the same problem...sort of. I just bought a previously wrecked '92 T4R with the 3VZE and an automatic tranny and the trans dipstick tube was definitely installed incorrectly because you couldn't pull the dipstick out to check the fluid level. So, being the "Smart" guy that I am, I yanked it out and now for the life of me I can't get it reinstalled. I'm begining to think that it is the wrong tube. If anyone can send a pic from the top of the engine looking down towards the tranny on the drivers side I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I can't help you with the pic, try inserting the dipstick and if it binds rotate it 45-90deg and try again and again. On my 5vz-fe, there is definately a sweet spot to get the dipstick in all the way.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
While I can't help you with the pic, try inserting the dipstick and if it binds rotate it 45-90deg and try again and again. On my 5vz-fe, there is definately a sweet spot to get the dipstick in all the way.
The dipstick isn't the problem. The problem is the tube that the dipstick goes into. I can't figure out the correct routing for it. The exhaust crossover seems to be in the way.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I misunderstood you. There must be a pic floating around somewhere.....hmm.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Post 390 side view of tranny and tube connected
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...1/index16.html

Post 1, 32, 135, 146 shows the proximity of the dipsticks. Do this spur any ideas how to route it?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-going-88538/

Post 279
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...1/index12.html

Last edited by rworegon; 03-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Sorry, I misunderstood you. There must be a pic floating around somewhere.....hmm.
No problem. I probably didn't explain it clearly enough.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by noodles14
Here's my real issue: My transmission (A340H) is slow to engage the first gear when starting from a dead stop, but this isn't a problem if you manually move it into L, get the truck going, then shift to D when you hit like 10-15 MPH. I checked the fluid level and it looks like it's way too full (it goes up past the hot mark when it's cold). So I messed around with draining out some fluid, but that didn't help. I did some searching on here and found that a common issue with these trannys is that the dipstick tube is in 2 pieces and sometimes they aren't put back together correctly, which will show an incorrect level on the dipstick. I looked into this and noticed that the dipstick tube is horizontal for the last 4-6 inches before it enters the transmission pan (see pic). Additionally, the top section of tube isn't bolted to anything, which from what I read on here, it's suppose to be bolted to something. Is this normal? It seems like it would need to be vertical at the bottom in order to get a good reading of the fluid level, but who knows? It wouldn't be the weirdest thing about this transmission if it's suppose to be like that. Any thoughts? Can someone with an 86-95 pickup or 4runner with a V6 and automatic go take a look at how their dipstick enters their tranny pan?
Mine looks the same. I just can't get the top tube into the tube coming out of the pan.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Neither end of the tubes appear bent? The upper tube often has a small o-ring on it where it goes in the lower pan. I wonder if yours is stretched out and causing it to bind as you are trying to get in in? Also, I lube the o-ring with a bit of tranny fluid before slipping it in.

Can you clean the opening on the lower tube a bit? I use a small screwdriver with the tip wrapped in a towel and the dipped in fluid be swabbing it around the inside of the opening.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Have you tried getting the upper end in position and then reaching up from underneath to get slipped into the lower tube (assuming it's tough to get leaverage from the top and also that it's possible to reach there from underneath)?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM

I will try to show pics sometime tommorrow. But the problem is that no matter how I approach it (top or bottom) the upper tube doesn't allign with the tube coming out of the pan. It is off by 2 inches. Does it run behind the crossover or beside the drivers side manifold? Or some other way?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

By looking at pics, I would think it runs along side the manifold...I don't have the same engine as you so I don't know for sure.

The second picture in post 290 certainly seems to show the upper tube diving down below (and possibly along) the manifold.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-15-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pictures of transmission pan dipstick tube brackets

I know this is an old thread, but I took some pictures yesterday when I dropped the pan. The thread seemed like the best fit location to post them.

Removing both brackets allowed me to put the trans pan back on without having to try to realign and connect the dipstick tube until I was done (I didn't want to smear FIPG gasket all over the place and try to twist a tube joint into the right position...ok, I tried and smeared gasket all over the place the first time, so I ended up dropping the brackets the second time around).

The upper bracket was a pain in the ass to reach. You'll have to locate it by eye and then undo/reattach it by feel. Fortunately for me, I have undersized tires on the truck, so I could do it all from the driver side wheel well. When reattaching the dipstick, leave the lower one for second. That'll give you some more sway/twist room to line up and reattach the top one first.

Two pictures of both brackets are attached. You'll see the upper/lower dipstick tube joint labeled in the pictures.
1) to undo the joint, twist the transmission pan while pulling apart at the joint
2) to reattach the dipstick tubes after the pan is attached, lube both tube ends with some ATF and twist and push together. Make sure you're not snagging anything on the top end of the engine.

lower bracket- picture from under the truck, following the dipstick up.

lower bracket with bolt removed (slightly different angle so you can see the bracket)

upper bracket view from driver side engine bay

upper bracket view from driver side wheel well/fender area

hopefully that helps someone else out there!