Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

trans cooler and transfer cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans cooler and transfer cooler...

Aloha yotatech...

rebuilt my A340H not long ago and would like to put a BM supercooler 70264 (I think it is like 14,000 BTU) inline for the trans. I did it in my 02 runner and bypassed the radiator to avoid the common strawberry milkshake move those are so famous for.

My plan is to run straight out of the trans into a remote filter with a temp sender installed, then to the super cooler then back to the trans. Bypassing the radiator (Altrom NAPA 2yrs old) . Was thinking that I could run the transfer case lines to the radiator ports where the trans lines used to go. Then get rid of that tiny cooler thats way back on the frame rail.

Figured that would cool the the transfer better than the weeny stock one.

I tow a 1000lb beachcat (incl trailer) up hills occasionally and crawl around in the lava and fields and forests

3.0 90 xtracab 32s and 4.56

Looking for opinions or advice

Thanks..
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Planning on doing something similar. Giving me a timeline and info would be greatly appreciated. There's actually a lot of different ways to go here dig your ideas tho. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I like the idea of running it up front. I never liked the little radiator down there, a pesky stick could end your whole day. You could use/move the tiny one as an inline before the radiator in the front? Just for more cooling.

What you should do is a 5 speed swap. *insert Kermit sipping tea* But thats none of my business
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the input..
Trilled: .ill prob order up the parts tomorrow and start getting into it in a week when they arrive...ill shoot some pics as I go if you're interested I'll send em along...

Rattle wagon: I think I'll likely leave the tiny stock transfer out of it, as the system will getting much more than stock and I like to be a as streamlined as i can, plus that one has those big banjo fittings that will make it awkward for mounting ... Also I nearly did do the 5spd swap when my tranny died, had my hands on the whole setup...but I figured I'd have a go at rebuilding an autotrans...plus I like auto for crawling...
Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by devo
Aloha yotatech...

rebuilt my A340H not long ago and would like to put a BM supercooler 70264 (I think it is like 14,000 BTU) inline for the trans. I did it in my 02 runner and bypassed the radiator to avoid the common strawberry milkshake move those are so famous for.

My plan is to run straight out of the trans into a remote filter with a temp sender installed, then to the super cooler then back to the trans. Bypassing the radiator (Altrom NAPA 2yrs old) . Was thinking that I could run the transfer case lines to the radiator ports where the trans lines used to go. Then get rid of that tiny cooler that's way back on the frame rail.

Figured that would cool the the transfer better than the weeny stock one.

I tow a 1000lb beachcat (incl trailer) up hills occasionally and crawl around in the lava and fields and forests

3.0 90 xtracab 32s and 4.56

Looking for opinions or advice

Thanks..
Hi Devo-
Don't have any opinion on the transfercase re-routing idea but I like your approach on running the tranny output thru a filter with a temperature gauge tap and then to a massive 70264. You didn't mention exactly where you would mount the cooler.....cooling efficiency is greatly influence by location. If the cooler is mounted right out front in the 70 mph highway breeze then the cooling will be great .....on the highway. But take it offroad and go up a slow winding trail at 3 mph on a 100 degree day and the cooler may disappoint.

I chose this skinny one
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8376222/00735
and there was plenty of room to mount it directly in front of the radiator and behind the condenser. I used the 4 tie-raps and the 4 felt washers....can't get much closer to the radiator that way. Cooling is amazing under all conditions as monitored by my scangauge2.

Last edited by ZUK; 06-03-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 AM
ZUK

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Me...all-Derale.pdf
Old 06-03-2016, 09:45 AM

Right on ZUK...unfortunately my 90 did not come with ac , so no issue with getting direct to the radiator (bummer when crawling around the hot a$$ lava fields though..haha)...but good advice, I put my supercooler in front of condenser on the 02 runner...figured the fan could pull the air through..but your idea sounds better...I've got the Bluetooth obdii thing to run torque but haven't set it up yet to test temps...

Btw checkout what I did the last weekend
Attached Thumbnails trans cooler and transfer cooler...-image.jpeg  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:42 AM
ZUK

That looks real clean. That is the way I like to do it. Looks neat and looks like it was a factory option.
Those are 125 pounds????14" long" ??
I bet it rides so much softer.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:45 AM
ZUK

You should get a temperature run and characterize the factory cooling with the oem radiator.

Then switch to external cooler and look at the change.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 AM
ZUK

The factory "built in cooler" is as much of a joke as the factory temperature gauge. The typical gauge reads midway and does not change in any obvious way from a range of about 167 to 225 degrees....that means alot of pre-warning is given up. And by the time the overheating has worsened to the point of actually moving the gauge closer to red well you know how that is.....and it usually happens on a road trip

The built in cooler is more accurately a heat exchanger. The water in the bottom of the radiator is typically 20 to 30 degrees cooler at the bottom of the radiator as compared to the top .......160~170 degrees at the bottom....how is that a cooler?

This is from a 2001 sequoia .........~16" long...............

Last edited by ZUK; 06-04-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Thanks ZUK, I don't remember exactly what springs....but they are the 14" and the stiffer option. Pretty mellow install, worst part was getting the lift blocks I had in there out and cleaning everything up. Good thing I kept the original u-bolts. Have to say...A little sketchy grinding all those sparks so close to the fuel lines and tank.
But yes rides way better and got an inch I think more lift than the blocks on flat springs.
BTW, a buddy of mine was already eying them up an asking where I got those springs...Nobody around here does this move...

Yeah, I figured it was some kind of weeny heat exchanger thing.
I don't even have a gauge, just an idiot light...that I am sure by the time you see that you have to stop and figure out who to call to tow you out.

?? - Did you bypass the radiator as well
?? - the A340H shares fluid between the trans and the transfer, how much exchange is there? Is the cooler for the trans fluid cooling the transfer and vice versa?...

I will set up the filter and temp gauge first and get a base reading and test towing and wheeling, then setup the cooler bypassing the radiator with the same tests. If the temps are good I think Ill leave it bypassed and run the transfer up to the heat exchanger. If not Ill run the cooler inline with the radiator and leave the transfer cooler in place.

Aloha
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 PM
ZUK

Yes, bypassed the radiator....running the large cooler mentioned earlier and that's all. Works wonderful.
Don't know all the specifics with the A340H and that little cooler they have.