86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranny problem - torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny problem - torque converter?

1990 4runner 4wd v6. Auto, 150k. This is my first vehicle with an auto tranny, so I dont know much about them. Any help would be appriciated.

Shortly after I bought this vehicle I embarked on a 3000 road trip, but only made it 600 miles before the tranny started leaking very badly. I took it Aamco and they said it looks like all the seals just blew out and it would cost $1000 and would take 3 days to get it fixed. They also mentioned the torque converter "feels weak". I was in a pinch at the moment so I took it so another shop who said they would drop the tranny and replace all the seals for $600 and have it done that day. I had that done and decided just to cancel the road trip and drive her back home. I made it home no problem and no leaks. Well within the next few weaks the tranny started leaking again slowly (I havent even had to add any oil - its just a slight leak from what look like the tranny pan).

I havent been concernced about the leak at all or even bothered calling that shop because I know the warranty is only valid at that shop - which is 600 miles away.

Well over the past few weeks my first gear has been making some strange shifts. It feels like it starts accelerating in first, but then it starts slipping and then it shifts rough into 2nd gear. Once it reaches 2nd it shifts fine through out the other gears. It only does it at random times when accelerating from a stop.

The past two weekends I have went out on some hunting trips which require a bit of trail riding. I have noticed that when I am on a steep incline and it feels like the engine is bogging, if I give it more gas - even put the gas pedal to the floor - it still doesnt accelerate any further.

Well it all comes down to today... I was on a pretty narly trail (still in 2wd though) and I came to a steep incline. I had a decent amount of speed approching the inclide, but once I started going up it my speed dropped but my RPMs stayed at the same place. I put the pedal to the floor and my RPMs just stayed at 4k, but my wheels were barely moving. I then came to a stop and got out to check out the situation. All my tires had great traction. I got back in and tried everything to get it up that inclide. Tried 4wd - tried shifting the tranny into L - tried even putting it in 2 - tried turning the ECT on and nothing. I would put the gas pedal to the floor, but there was no power to the wheels!

I shut the engine down and just let it sit for about 10 minutes. I started her back up and rolled down the hill in nueteral, turned around and made it back home no problem.
So it basically drives fine around town and on the freeway except for the occasional slip or whatever the hiccup is in first gear. I am now very weary of taking it off road again - because I am pretty sure the tranny will start slipping big time when ever I come to a steep incline.

BTW - The tranny fluid level is good and it doesnt smell burnt...

What could this be? Could it just be the torque converter? Do I need a new tranny? Possibly something else?

Sorry for the long novel, but hopefully I explained all the symptoms well!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP BUMP! Any ideas? My friend was suggesting putting on an aftermarket tranny oil cooler, but it looks like my came stock with one already? There is a little radiator thing in front of my engine radiator.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter to me.

Some tranny info:http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm