Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tranny

Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny

1988 4runner, Automatic

After doing some cleaning and and bolt tightening and brake work my truck started to really jerk when i put it in gear. If i let it sit and idol for a bit then put it into Drive or Reverse it really pops in and jerks the hole truck. I did have 38's on it for a little while, could this have messed up something in the tranny? It already runs funny. When i put my truck in 4wheel low you cant even tell the difference but after driving like a kilometer or two the tranny shifts down i think and then my truck red lines at like 15 kmh and it has excellent power. Any suggestions greatly appreicianted.thanks in advance

JVD
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
1988 4runner, Automatic

After doing some cleaning and and bolt tightening and brake work my truck started to really jerk when i put it in gear. If i let it sit and idol for a bit then put it into Drive or Reverse it really pops in and jerks the hole truck. I did have 38's on it for a little while, could this have messed up something in the tranny? It already runs funny. When i put my truck in 4wheel low you cant even tell the difference but after driving like a kilometer or two the tranny shifts down i think and then my truck red lines at like 15 kmh and it has excellent power. Any suggestions greatly appreicianted.thanks in advance

JVD
I guess I would check the fluid level in the tranny and if low of corse top it off
I would have to ask what is the trk idling at ?
And if idle is 850-900rpm and fluid is to the mark then I would replace the trans filter (supposed to be regular maintenence) and go from there .
Also (I am old gm nut) if the trannsmission uses a vacum modulator for shifting that could be your problem , pulled loose/broken vac line going to vac modulater.
Other that that I would have to go find someone who knew more than I
Maybe someone else will chime in with a idea also
Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM

It does idol pretty high. The fluid level is good i actaully flushed and refilled this a while back. It isn't a big deal though. I am thinking about selling this truck and starting from scratch on a First or Second generation Pickup. I cannot make my mind up. I i keep my 4runner i will have to do a SAS because my front flex is pathetic with IFS
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

It does idol pretty high. The fluid level is good i actaully flushed and refilled this a while back. It isn't a big deal though. I am thinking about selling this truck and starting from scratch on a First or Second generation Pickup. I cannot make my mind up. I i keep my 4runner i will have to do a SAS because my front flex is pathetic with IFS
Well a new tranny filter isnt that hard and make sure you dont have a kinked or crush tranny line to cooler on rad..
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Alright thanks for all the great suggestions

Last edited by Justinvd; 10-25-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Automatic Transmission

High Idle will definately cause the the lurching/clunking with Auto Tranny and if it is high mileage it could very well have a very dirty trans filter which would cause definate pressure problems for tranny