Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trail Gear IFS Eliminator Kit (Front & Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trail Gear IFS Eliminator Kit (Front & Rear)

Well,

It's time to take Ol' Yeller to the next level...SAS.

I am most likely going with the Trail Gear IFS Eliminator Kit (the 3" kit).

Did a quick search and couldn't find much info on it on here.

Seems like a very solid (and complete) kit, which is ideal.

The goal is to run 35" tires.

I know some people say the regular springs wear out fast, they do offer heavy duty springs, are they worth getting or am i going to pay for it with a back-killing ride?

I appreciate all the feedback, guess the cat is outta the bag now lol oh well
Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i am running 4' T-G up front and their 5" springs in the rear...have wheeled them pretty good (when my junk isn't broke) and other than wishing I had gone with 3 and 4" springs I am happy with their kits...

just curious did you try out the new search thingy that was added recently?
not saying you didn't search but curious which search you used since it is a new option.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
With the amount of flex your gonna see with the SAS setup, I think 3" is gonna be a little too small for the 35's. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

If It were me doing it, I'd find a way to run RUF and 63's in the back.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
i am running 4' T-G up front and their 5" springs in the rear...have wheeled them pretty good (when my junk isn't broke) and other than wishing I had gone with 3 and 4" springs I am happy with their kits...

just curious did you try out the new search thingy that was added recently?
not saying you didn't search but curious which search you used since it is a new option.
What size tires are you running? Good to hear you like the kits.

As far as searching goes, I went to "advanced search" went under "search by keyword" and selected "search titles only" in the drop down menu and searched for "eliminator" 22 threads came up, none too relevant to my questions.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
With the amount of flex your gonna see with the SAS setup, I think 3" is gonna be a little too small for the 35's. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

If It were me doing it, I'd find a way to run RUF and 63's in the back.
That's what I was afraid of. Trail Gear will be getting an email later tonight. Figured i'd ask here before bothering them with questions that have been asked 1000X.

I was thinking about the 63's but i've heard mixed reviews about them. Plus then i'd have to add a shackle or add-a-leaf for more lift.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Fossilized
Staff

i think he would still be able to fit 35's...if you go ready made springs just be sure to go 1" higher in the back with the 4Runner.

edit: I am running 35x13.50's

Xtreme has a good point-with his suggestion it works great flex wise and if you do it right you would probably save $900-1000+++

Off Topic-but since you have a 4Runner -when you took off the top-how many bolts are used to hold it down?
a) along the bed rail
b) to attach it to the cab.
I tried downloaded the 88 FSM but it gets to 79 of 82 MB's and craps out...

Last edited by dropzone; 10-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:39 PM

or, you could use a set of 2" lift springs meant for the same 63" chevy truck. I could be completely off base here though as well. Nothing wrong with running a longer shackle BTW.

BTW I know you pretty much have to lift a 1st gen SFA 4runner to clear 33's simply because of flex whereas an IFS truck can pretty much clear 33's without much of an issue.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM

i think he would still be able to fit 35's...if you go ready made springs just be sure to go 1" higher in the back with the 4Runner.

edit: I am running 35x13.50's

Xtreme has a good point-with his suggestion it works great flex wise and if you do it right you would probably save $900-1000+++

Off Topic-but since you have a 4Runner -when you took off the top-how many bolts are used to hold it down?
a) along the bed rail
b) to attach it to the cab.
Good call with the 1" higher in the back, I hadn't thought about that.

Yeah the 63's are an idea that i haven't thrown out of my mind yet.

As far as the top, I'd have to count, I honestly don't remember. Maybe 4 or 5 on each bed rail and 5 on the top to attach it to the cap.

or, you could use a set of 2" lift springs meant for the same 63" chevy truck. I could be completely off base here though as well. Nothing wrong with running a longer shackle BTW.
Yeah true, that's an idea, but then I have heard that the 63's are weak...

P.S. I have some parts for you Brandon from RB.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM

Yeah, I'll have to figure out how to pick em up. lol.

I don't know where you heard those 63's are weak, you can go negative arch on those things on a regular basis and not have to worry bout snapping them, unlike the yota leafs. I wouldn't go with a bolt in spring kit either, it's just gonna ride real harsh.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I'll have to figure out how to pick em up. lol.

I don't know where you heard those 63's are weak, you can go negative arch on those things on a regular basis and not have to worry bout snapping them, unlike the yota leafs. I wouldn't go with a bolt in spring kit either, it's just gonna ride real harsh.
Yeah, these are all things to consider. I'd like to hear more insight from people who have done the 63's and people who have done the IFS Eliminator Kit.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Off Topic-but since you have a 4Runner -when you took off the top-how many bolts are used to hold it down?-14
a) along the bed rail-8
b) to attach it to the cab.-4 on top 1 on each side by the window

answers in Red. There are also 2 pegs, that are in the bed rail to help line backup when you take it off
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
Yeah, these are all things to consider. I'd like to hear more insight from people who have done the 63's and people who have done the IFS Eliminator Kit.
Don't know if it will help, but I did ALOT of reading on the SAS. I ended up with TG eliminator Kit 4" front and 5" rear. I have NOT installed either of these yet, so I can't really attest to the ride quality but for me, this is the set up I choose to be able to run/stuff 35's. AOR is who I bought my kit through, and it goes without saying, Scott is extremly helpful with questions. If you give him your goal for your runner and wheeling habits, I am sure he can help you choose what will work best.

P.S. the only downside to the kit that I have noticed is it seems to be alittle tall for some peoples preferance.

Can't wait to see pics of it done!

Last edited by OrRunner; 10-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
Don't know if it will help, but I did ALOT of reading on the SAS. I ended up with TG eliminator Kit 4" front and 5" rear. I have NOT installed either of these yet, so I can't really attest to the ride quality but for me, this is the set up I choose to be able to run/stuff 35's. AOR is who I bought my kit through, and it goes without saying, Scott is extremly helpful with questions. If you give him your goal for your runner and wheeling habits, I am sure he can help you choose what will work best.

P.S. the only downside to the kit that I have noticed is it seems to be alittle tall for some peoples preferance.

Can't wait to see pics of it done!
Great!!

Thanks for the info! I'll shoot Scott a message!!

And yeah, i'd like to keep the 4Runner as low as possible and fit 35's without trimming the fenders.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

The ride is definitely Not IFS quality. I have had SA jeep truck, SA chevy's and 2 SA Toyota. Rough...
Don't go SA if you are worried about ride quality, that being said- my '81 with the T-G springs rides much better than what stuff was on it when I got it.

Also check out my mini FAQ for mounting your steering box, Wabbit was pics that are best of I have seen more mounting it as far forward as you can for the high steer.(which to be honest not sure if you need to move your existing box forward since you already have the correct steering box) You can also redrill the spring perch and get another 1.5" or so of wheel base up front, which from my avatar pic you can tell is something I need to do

And thanks for the info on the top mounting. It helPs me on my removable Trekker top project :
Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM

The ride is definitely Not IFS quality. I have had SA jeep truck, SA chevy's and 2 SA Toyota. Rough...
Don't go SA if you are worried about ride quality, that being said- my '81 with the T-G springs rides much better than what stuff was on it when I got it.

Also check out my mini FAQ for mounting your steering box, Wabbit was pics that are best of I have seen more mounting it as far forward as you can for the high steer.(which to be honest not sure if you need to move your existing box forward since you already have the correct steering box) You can also redrill the spring perch and get another 1.5" or so of wheel base up front, which from my avatar pic you can tell is something I need to do

And thanks for the info on the top mounting. It helPs me on my removable Trekker top project :
I'm not too worried about having a perfectly smooth ride as this is not my DD. I'm wondering just how bad it really is, which apparently isn't too bad (or so i've read).

I'll get on the mini-FAQ asap! I'm sure that will answer some of my questions.

Also thanks for the info on moving the wheelbase, that will make a big difference off-road.

And no need to thank me, it was mostly OrRunner who helped you.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
4Runner for 35s. I'd do 3" front and 4" rear and cut the fenders and firewall. Don't want to? Go up to 4" front and 5" rears. Getting the kits makes doing a SAS and rear lift so much easier. I don't like the chebbies cause they flex like mad and then you end up one side sagging or drooping if you drive on road any. Depends on what you want to use them for.

Buy from me and use your YOTATECH discount code

:wabbit2:
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by OrRunner
answers in Red. There are also 2 pegs, that are in the bed rail to help line backup when you take it off
thanks! I was on my phone so I totally missed who originally posted the info
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I'm not too worried about having a perfectly smooth ride as this is not my DD. I'm wondering just how bad it really is, which apparently isn't too bad (or so i've read).

I'll get on the mini-FAQ asap! I'm sure that will answer some of my questions.

Also thanks for the info on moving the wheelbase, that will make a big difference off-road.

And no need to thank me, it was mostly OrRunner who helped you.

Thanks again!!
thanks for letting me know

with the exception of my front springs (got them off ebay for $91 including shipping) I got all my junk from wab fab--
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing a SAS swap to my 86 also. Just have to get the money saved up. When I get the money I will more then likely get my parts from Wab:wabbit2:. I have heard nothing but great things about his stuff. Not sure if I will get kit or just new springs, wheel spacers and front spring hanger set up. Have heard that will need to use IFS rotors.Not sure if hy-steer is needed.
HEY WAB!!!- What is really all needed for a basic SAS?? Your kit is awesome but between saving to pay bills off and starting a family, not alot of extra $$$ around.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM

thanks! I was on my phone so I totally missed who originally posted the info

thanks for letting me know

with the exception of my front springs (got them off ebay for $91 including shipping) I got all my junk from wab fab--
Yeah that's an option, I like the "complete kit" though...

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
I'm doing a SAS swap to my 86 also. Just have to get the money saved up. When I get the money I will more then likely get my parts from Wab:wabbit2:. I have heard nothing but great things about his stuff. Not sure if I will get kit or just new springs, wheel spacers and front spring hanger set up. Have heard that will need to use IFS rotors.Not sure if hy-steer is needed.
HEY WAB!!!- What is really all needed for a basic SAS?? Your kit is awesome but between saving to pay bills off and starting a family, not alot of extra $$$ around.
Hmm like stated above, that's an idea but the "complete kit" idea is more tempting.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
4Runner for 35s. I'd do 3" front and 4" rear and cut the fenders and firewall. Don't want to? Go up to 4" front and 5" rears. Getting the kits makes doing a SAS and rear lift so much easier. I don't like the chebbies cause they flex like mad and then you end up one side sagging or drooping if you drive on road any. Depends on what you want to use them for.

Buy from me and use your YOTATECH discount code

:wabbit2:
Somehow I missed this post last night.

I appreciate the info, the 4Runner will be seeing about 50% trail 50% street so it looks like the 63's are out.

And as far as who I buy from, it depends on where I can get the best price

Quick Reply: Trail Gear IFS Eliminator Kit (Front & Rear)