Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TRAIL GEAR Alternator Swap PROBLEMS

Old 12-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRAIL GEAR Alternator Swap PROBLEMS

Hey guys. Ran into a road block on my installation of a CS-144 alternator on my 1993 22RE.

First of all, there is confusion even in the TG instructions.

Included is the upper bracket, lower bracket, a long thin bolt with a nylock nut and a shorter fatter bolt and NO nut.

the long skinny bolt is CLEARLY the pivot bolt that holds the alternator base in the lower bracket. With me so far?

The upper bracket has the adjusting track to tighten the alternator (with these large GM alternators its about .75" of wiggle room to get the belt on and get tension adjusted...Am I right or what?)

My issues all pertain to the upper bracket. here they are in order:

1) The STOCK mounting bolt that is re used with the new upper TG bracket will thread just fine on its own. When I insert the TG bracket and attempt to thread, it will not.

2) The TG upper bracket binds (right at the offset) on the square nut welded to the back of the power steering bracket that comes up from the base. I can see where a couple seconds with a file or angle grinder can take the edge off of this nut without affecting the threads that will allow the TG bracket to clear, but WHY should I have to do that. Something seems off.

3) and most importantly: the shorter and LARGER bolt (which doesn't have its own nut) is clearly the anchoring bolt in the adjusting track. It snugly fits through the upper eyelet in the CS-144 alternator with just enough length to fit the TG bracket and the depth of the eyelet and take a nut on the far end.

Heres the kicker: the bolt does NOT fit through the adjusting track. Its not even like theres too much paint in the way. It just....doesn't fit. Theres no threading in the upper eyelet so the lack of a nut for this bolt is even more confusing.

SO between the upper bracket that doesn't agree with the stock bolt mounting point, the position of my power steering bracket AND the lack of a use for the included bolt clearly intended to replace my anchor bolt for adjusting my alternator I have a useless bracket. It even binds on the eyelet face for the CS-144. I can love tap it into place where it will snug up a bit and when the PROPER anchor bolt is tightened it will square up with the alternator and the engine block...at the expense of the power steering bracket being flexed outward slightly.

so no pun intended but WHAT GIVES? anybody else encounter these issues?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some times field adjustments are needed perhaps your power steering bracket is not the one for your truck .

One can never tell with these things .

If you would have made your own bracket this might not have happened.

Maybe your Alternator is screwed up.

Could be a bad reaction from the GM parts.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Did you call TG??

I don't remember who made my bracket but no problems.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 PM

I sent tech support an email. Hoping for a good reply. If not I'll resort to the old tin can and string to get ahold of them tomorrow if I don't get a reply.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Got the upper bracket in after tweaking the p/s mount with vise- grips and cutting the captured washer off of the bolt.

After installing the belt again and looking along the top of the fan pulley to the alt pulley it seems that the alternator is shifted too far forward and tilted down slightly.

Could this be attributed to the alignment of the bracket (sloppy fit around engine mount bolts)? If not then I either have a crooked engine (sarcasm) or the alternator pivot mount is crooked (again, unlikely.)
Old 12-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Maybe you got a bracket that slipped through quality control.

If the bracket is off and your fancy Alternator is off a little it don`t take much.