Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota fix up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota fix up

Recently I saw a 1996 Toyota Tacoma for sale the asking price is 2,000.00 if I throw cash in his face could possibly get it for less around 1500.00
Problem is this truck needs some help. Body is good shape except for usual rust areas that can be fixed, however the frame on this truck had already cracked under frount of drivers door it has been fixed its been wrapped and welded with new steel. The ABS light is on and was told the 4x4 doesn't work
why who knows cant get an answer. I don't think they really know why. Its got a v6 3.4? runs great My friends are telling me to stay away from it its not worth fixing or using parts but I still have hope I have 3 questions,

1 Is this truck worth buying to fix problems I am not a mechanic. Or should I run away and not look back. Esp if the frame already cracked? but repaired could crack it in another location?

2 I have a 94 pickup v6 3.0 runs great frame no major rust frame good body few dents in bed frount fender needs to be replaced(rotted) it needs a water pump repair cost on water pump around 675.00 after taxes. both trucks are automatics my transmission is fine can I use that on the 3.4

3 Can I use the body parts for my 94 even though the style is a little different? Ex doors, bed,fenders ?Can I replace the 3.0 with 3.4 without any major b/s would I need to swap wiring harness?

Up here in the North East there is very little 90-96 Toyotas left for parts Is this truck good for a parts truck? most junk yards are cleared of any Toyota trucks around them yrs If you do find one its usually skeletorized hard to get parts Any advice on this issue will be appreciated thanks

Last edited by Jonny246; 10-10-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:20 AM

With broken 4wd, broken but fixed frame, rust, plus the 1000 you'll have to put into it for tires, odd misc repairs I wouldn't pay more than scrap price for it.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You are trying to make trucks from two different generations into one. There is some big differences in those two generations. You not being a mechanic, it would get over your head real quick and become a money pit that most likely you would not be able to finish and sell for a loss. I would run from it unless going to use it as a parts truck to fix a same model truck. Over priced in my opinion.

I have not changed a water pump on a 3.0 but have changed thousands of other water pumps on several different models. Normally not a bad job to do. Changing the water pump is probably something you could do with a Haynes or Factory Service Manual. Doing a water pump would give you an idea if you have the patience and skills to do mechanic work.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:50 AM

Thanks for answering my question I decided to forget the whole idea I only look at frame from crawling under it well after putting it on the lift OMG the frame was worse than I thought, area of the frame under the bed was completely rotted. If you banged on it with a hammer and not that hard you blew a hole in it, how this truck was able to be driven around esp up here with the lousy roads I surprised it never broke in two thank you both from advising me on this it would of been a costly mistake either way. And My buddy said thanks for talking some sense into me.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-16-2015 at 04:46 AM.