Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Total Chaos Long Travel Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yota82
Hey Deathrunner, The guys at Downey told me that uni-balls were "highly perishable" and all the other LT kits were "hideously wider" and that heims are inferior to tie rods. I say forget about TC and JD and use the best kit on the market.... Downey. They also told me that they used "tougher chromoly materials". Also torsion bars are better than coilovers.
When I get the TC kit, that will be my new bumpersticker/signature, 'Hideously Wide'! Downey has been in the biz for a long time, but that stuff just cracks me up! I'll have to tell my bro-in-law, who does custom lifts/lowering, that he needs to switch over to tie rods!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Back to the total chaos kit is it worth it.. broke a torsion socket that doesnt sound so good. im not too interested in flex or id get a SAS
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downey used to make up upgraded torsion sockets, but they don't anymore because everyone who is serious with race applications now uses Coilovers. Once and a whiel a set of these sockets will pop up somewhere.

If you romp hard enough, I have also heard of the torsion adjuster bolt snapping off and flying through the cab floor and smacking passengers/drivers in the bottom. It leaves quite a welt, I hear.

Please pass the coilovers, I say.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by em3e3
When I get the TC kit, that will be my new bumpersticker/signature, 'Hideously Wide'! Downey has been in the biz for a long time, but that stuff just cracks me up! I'll have to tell my bro-in-law, who does custom lifts/lowering, that he needs to switch over to tie rods!
thats why i will never buy anything from downey ever again...the completely BS'd me about an exhaust when in fact they where totaly wrong and the exhause kit was very very poor quality! but there headers are good...thats it
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by toyotaoffroad91
thats why i will never buy anything from downey ever again...the completely BS'd me about an exhaust when in fact they where totaly wrong and the exhause kit was very very poor quality! but there headers are good...thats it
Some of thier stuff is good, but you can tell when thier product is complete crap, because they will openly bash a competitior. Deal with Downey long enough and everyone gets thier chance to figure it out.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM

I havent done a ton of research on these kits but what i have read i like.

The reason i want a TC kit is that there is no dropping of the diff. That almost in and of itself is the selling point.
Now you add on that i can run shocks and coilovers instead of TB's.... well, my decision is slapping me in the face.

More travel, wider stance, better stability... booooya.
Seeing as how id rather be able to smash up gravel roads without worries id much rather LT ifs than SAS. ( i want a trail rider not a rock crawler )
Now i just have to figure out what powerplant im going to go to because that 22rec is not smashing up ˟˟˟˟˟.....

I really like Posey's white 4runner with the TC kit and a 302..... uh huh.... (big nutz.... )

Please correct me if my theories are wrong. 4 i r still tha 1337 noooooooob. (and am not afraid to admit it.... lol)

Last edited by mYnAmEiSmUd; 01-31-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no you are correct. LT is designed for exactly that, and will perform spectacularly on rutted roads, desert roads, on sand at high speed. Those kits are beef, and will do you proud.

As you say, not for the rock crawler, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUd
I havent done a ton of research on these kits but what i have read i like.

The reason i want a TC kit is that there is no dropping of the diff. That almost in and of itself is the selling point.
Now you add on that i can run shocks and coilovers instead of TB's.... well, my decision is slapping me in the face.

More travel, wider stance, better stability... booooya.
Seeing as how id rather be able to smash up gravel roads without worries id much rather LT ifs than SAS. ( i want a trail rider not a rock crawler )
Now i just have to figure out what powerplant im going to go to because that 22rec is not smashing up ˟˟˟˟˟.....
I love my TC kit. It handles everything that I throw at it and has never let me down. You do get a little more lean in the corners with the coilovers, not sure about this with TC kit with torsions, probably because of the removal of the sway bars.

With the price of the JD Fab kit coming down, I would also look in to that kit as well. I was looking at it when I got my TC kit but it was just too much money. I really like the fact that you can run torsions or coilovers. That is a big advantage if you want to build in stages.

Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUd
When my 22re dies it will be replaced with a 7MGE from a supra.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

When my 22re dies it will be replaced with a 7MGE from a supra.
Can't beat having the same motor mounts ;-)
Old 01-31-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by 91_4x4runner
Can't beat having the same motor mounts ;-)
Same motor mounts eh?

*gears start to slowly turn in my head*

I think i should go run around supracharged.com for a while. a 7mgte would be sweet to throw in there.... (sorry about off topicness) I used to have an 87 supra turbo...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM

its allright i would love to put a supra motor in my truck... Would that be possible without mods to the firewall? my buddys got a supra N/A. i should buy it when he flips it hehe
Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM

I've got a 92 Pickup that I'm revamping, and want to update my suspension, nothing extreme, just want to run 285/75-16's. Think about 1.5" would be plenty, so can I run TC uniball upper A-arms and Larger TB's without having to upgrade my CV's

Thanks
Late
Joe
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Im doing a GEN2 caddy unibal on a pickup for a customer as we speak... T100 axles will retain 4wd, go with the king or fox coilvers, they bolt right up.. I'm going to post pics later tonight of the coilovers so keep your eyes open..

:-)
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM

I have a duffco LT kit on my truck. It is for the 2wd truck but I love it. I'm not real rock cralwer guy so its great for me. I would go with LT. Its fun to go fast.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger54
go with the king or fox coilvers, they bolt right up..
I assume you mean they bolt right up to the option al TC hoop that you just had WELDED in after you CUT the OEM upper shock tab out the way

(Yes I have been eyeing a LT setup ever since WCOR pioneered it back in the early 90s)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

I looked in to both sas and long travel ifs a while back. I found that It would be more expensive to do long travel. By the time you buy the kit either downey or tc (which I think is outrageously priced for what you get) new axle shafts etc, plus getting the rear suspension comprable it will cost more than an sas. That being said I love the idea of long travel and if I lived out west with desert and wide open spaces I would consider it. But I much prefer tight trails and hills and think sas is the way to go for me. Havent done it yet but will eventually. Just my thoughts anyway.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had ifs and it felt like i was gonna tip over, if i tried flexing and the back tire came instantly off the ground, stupid! ifs+rear locker= a must

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 02-28-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ewong
I assume you mean they bolt right up to the option al TC hoop that you just had WELDED in after you CUT the OEM upper shock tab out the way

(Yes I have been eyeing a LT setup ever since WCOR pioneered it back in the early 90s)

Correct , you have to use the TC shock hoops..
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Wow - a one year old + a few days thread bump. I really, REALLY like the looks of that TC set up & I want it bad but it's going to have to wait a while.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM

yeah, i really really want the LT kit but thats gonna be with next years tax return hopefully

Quick Reply: Total Chaos Long Travel Kit