Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Torque Converter Lockup (Need Experts)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Converter Lockup (Need Experts)

As the title says I need an expert to help me solve my torque converter problems. I guess i should start at the beginning. I own a 1994 4runner with an 3vze 4WD and an auto trans. the entire truck has about 168K miles on it. about 5K ago the transmission was rebuilt and all the replaceable parts were replaced.

Well since the rebuilt the transmission has run great except for one area, the torque converter will STOP locking after about 10-15 min of driving once the engine has reached operating temp. the truck does not lockup or go into overdrive before the motor has warmed up but to my understanding this is correct and no a problem.

after changing the temp gauge inside the transmission replacing the TPS sensor and finally the entire ECM itself this problem is still well a problem. many people have told me its a bad solenoid or a TC itself but from installing a manual switch to the solenoid it lockups every time a manual voltage is applied to it. it seems even the new ECM is not telling it to lockup after 15 min of operating at normal running temps. the torque converter locks up fine everytime the engine has some time to cool off so to speak but it always stop working.

I really want to find the problem to this and get it out of the way since this is been happening for about 3 months now and keeping me from driving my truck out of town or for long periods of time. If anyone has any insight or advice on what i should be checking for please let me know.

also if it helps at all, my transmission use to stay locked even when i took my foot of the gas and only unlocked when i pressed the brake now the transmission unlocks as soon as my foot leaves the gas. this is the only difference in how it use to work and how it works now when the torque converter is actually locking.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you replace the ECT unit for the tranny? The ECM is for the engine. The ECT is at the front of the console. Have you changed the temp sending unit on the engine, lockup depends on engine temp. A rebuilt tranny should have gotten a new torque converter.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MRecio
As the title says I need an expert to help me solve my torque converter problems. I guess i should start at the beginning. I own a 1994 4runner with an 3vze 4WD and an auto trans. the entire truck has about 168K miles on it. about 5K ago the transmission was rebuilt and all the replaceable parts were replaced.

Well since the rebuilt the transmission has run great except for one area, the torque converter will STOP locking after about 10-15 min of driving once the engine has reached operating temp. the truck does not lockup or go into overdrive before the motor has warmed up but to my understanding this is correct and no a problem.

after changing the temp gauge inside the transmission replacing the TPS sensor and finally the entire ECM itself this problem is still well a problem. many people have told me its a bad solenoid or a TC itself but from installing a manual switch to the solenoid it lockups every time a manual voltage is applied to it. it seems even the new ECM is not telling it to lockup after 15 min of operating at normal running temps. the torque converter locks up fine everytime the engine has some time to cool off so to speak but it always stop working.

I really want to find the problem to this and get it out of the way since this is been happening for about 3 months now and keeping me from driving my truck out of town or for long periods of time. If anyone has any insight or advice on what i should be checking for please let me know.

also if it helps at all, my transmission use to stay locked even when i took my foot of the gas and only unlocked when i pressed the brake now the transmission unlocks as soon as my foot leaves the gas. this is the only difference in how it use to work and how it works now when the torque converter is actually locking.
I'm no expert but I do have some info on the A340H auto assuming that is what you have? I have the A340H and have a lot of information on that transmission.....so if you will P.M. me with a email address I will send you what I have.
I know that this is what's in the A340H after I tore down the donor I had ....lot's of snap rings, c-clips and a big mess of stuff there are a few parts missing from this pic but this is the bulk of it and i even split the hydraulic t-case from the main transmission

Dwayne
Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

That gives me a headache just to look at...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Disconnect your cruise control ecu. Mine went bad, and wouldn't allow the tranny to shift out of 3rd, cant remember if it was locking up or not tho, anyway... it's 5 min to disconnect, and costs nothing. It's under the driver side kick panel, near the fuse block.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM

There are a few things that over-ride the TC lockup. One is the brake switch. When the brakes are applied the converter unlocks. You may have a problem with the wire going to the ECU from the brake switch. The other is the cruise control that was mentioned. If you look through the service manual it tells you this kind of thing.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SURELY you got a warranty when you had the tranny rebuilt and, as already mentioned, it should have included a new TC.
Take it back and have 'em fix it.
Simple as.

Fred
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Well the TC was replaced with a new one and seems to be in fine working order with a manual switch to control lockup so i am sure its not a mechanical problem within the tranny itself. and yes it does have a one year warranty i just wanted to gather some info before taking it back to them seeing as it is my only truck and used to get my and my family to school and work and its very hard to go without it. maybe i could talk them into a rental car

should the ECT unit itself should be looked at as well at the brake switch and cruise control unit? i know all three of those thing have not been thoroughly looked at yet and ill be something to go on. also sounds like something very time consuming and i might be better off sending it back in as i am sure the tranny shop could look at all those things much faster then I.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRecio
Well the TC was replaced with a new one and seems to be in fine working order with a manual switch to control lockup so i am sure its not a mechanical problem within the tranny itself. and yes it does have a one year warranty i just wanted to gather some info before taking it back to them seeing as it is my only truck and used to get my and my family to school and work and its very hard to go without it. maybe i could talk them into a rental car

should the ECT unit itself should be looked at as well at the brake switch and cruise control unit? i know all three of those thing have not been thoroughly looked at yet and ill be something to go on. also sounds like something very time consuming and i might be better off sending it back in as i am sure the tranny shop could look at all those things much faster then I.
So you're telling me that they returned the vehicle to you with a manual switch installed to lock up and unlock the TC ???????

Fred
Old 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM

no they didnt they did however install one to rule out mechanical problems inside the transmission so they didnt have to tear into it again. they said that the ECM or whichever computer that sends the signal to the TC lockup solenoid was not doing so correctly. well they replaced it but it still isnt locking up properly so i am guessing i is some other part that has the ability to override lockup. my only thing is if these things are not part of a tranny rebuilt and were never touched during the tranny rebuild would it be safe to say they are not covered under the warranty?